Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From angst to hype ... a team in transition
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Nine key starter changes:
McCoy out - Murray, Mathews in.
Maclin out - Agholor in.
Mathis, Herremans out - Barbre, Gardner in.
Williams, Fletcher out - Maxwell, Carroll in.
Cole out - Graham in.
Allen out - Thurmond in.
Foles out - Bradford in.
41% of the starting roster changed!

Shades of the Dream Team year should be haunting us. No continuity from a two-time 10-6 team should, at best spell 'transition' and could easily be regarded as 'rebuilding.' Yet the experts are lining up to jump on the Philadelphia Express-to-Success and it's still preseason.

Last year's offense was ranked #5 in total YPG (#3 in points scored) and the defense was ranked #28 (#22 in points allowed). 45% of the offensive starters are new and 36% of the defensive starters have changed. Three defensive coaches changed and two offensive coaches changed (defense: Undlin for Lovett, Harper for Lyght, Thomas for Clay; offense: Peele for Williams, Day for Musgrave).

Kelly voluntarily lost his leading WR two years in a row. He traded his Pro Bowl RB, cut his Pro Bowl LG, cut his fan-favorite RG and OLB then traded for an under-performing, injury plagued QB. All in one offseason. And he added an injured ILB.

And their odds are improving?
Pila
Maybe the guy knows what he's doing.

I don't know.

Dreagon
I do see you guys as a team in transition, but I think you actually broke even or upgraded in most areas.

Bradford looks pretty comfortable with Kelly's system so I don't see any dropoff there. Besides, you've still got Sanchez behind him if something happens.
The simple fact is that Murray and Matthews are an upgrade over McCoy in the type of running offense that Kelly wants to employ.
Maclin was a loss, but Agholar shows promise...and a healthy Austin should not be underestimated.
Mathis and Herremans were getting long in the tooth, so getting that move out of the way is logical...not to mention you'll be glad you did it next year.

I'll leave the defensive comparisons to others, but I really think y'all should be okay on offense. Especially after they get to play a few more games together.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Sep 1 2015, 11:42 AM) *
I do see you guys as a team in transition, but I think you actually broke even or upgraded in most areas.

Bradford looks pretty comfortable with Kelly's system so I don't see any dropoff there. Besides, you've still got Sanchez behind him if something happens.
The simple fact is that Murray and Matthews are an upgrade over McCoy in the type of running offense that Kelly wants to employ.
Maclin was a loss, but Agholar shows promise...and a healthy Austin should not be underestimated.
Mathis and Herremans were getting long in the tooth, so getting that move out of the way is logical...not to mention you'll be glad you did it next year.

I'll leave the defensive comparisons to others, but I really think y'all should be okay on offense. Especially after they get to play a few more games together.

I hesitate to agree with a Dallas fan but I agree with you.

Bradford looks like an upgrade for this group of receivers. Foles thrived with the explosive DJax stretching the field and a healthy, talented O Line. Bradford won't have the same throwing windows and same talent on the O Line, but he seems to make quicker decisions and is more accurate--stunningly so i the last game.

The turnover on this team has been breathtaking. We'll see how well the gel but early indications are encouraging. It must be due to the presence of Tim Tebow : ) !
Dreagon
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 1 2015, 10:17 PM) *
I hesitate to agree with a Dallas fan but I agree with you.

Bradford looks like an upgrade for this group of receivers. !

Actually, Bradford's accuracy brings another point to mind. One trait Bradford shares with Romo is accuracy. Austin's main threat is what he can do after the catch, because his hands aren't so great. He did well with Romo because Romo was accurate and throws it within the zone he's decent at catching. Once he went to Cleveland he tanked, showing that having the right QB is a big part of his game. But since Bradford is accurate too, he might be able to make Austin effective again. And I'm guessing Chip Kelly paid close attention to Austin's history, especially since I don't remember seeing Austin this preseason....which is a very smart thing.
mcnabbulous
My thought for Austin is that he's a savvy veteran who will be able to find holes in the zone and pickup third downs.

The more I see of this team, the more I'm convinced that is what Chip is trying to build. Shady, DJax and Foles weren't built to move the chains. They were boom or bust.

This new offense will be running tons of plays and scoring lots of points. Fewer 3 and outs, less defense on the field.

God damn I'm fucking excited.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 2 2015, 11:32 AM) *
My thought for Austin is that he's a savvy veteran who will be able to find holes in the zone and pickup third downs.

The more I see of this team, the more I'm convinced that is what Chip is trying to build. Shady, DJax and Foles weren't built to move the chains. They were boom or bust.

This new offense will be running tons of plays and scoring lots of points. Fewer 3 and outs, less defense on the field.

God damn I'm fucking excited.

I think you hit the nail on the head....

Fewer 3 and outs
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 2 2015, 02:37 PM) *
I think you hit the nail on the head....

Fewer 3 and outs

I say we rarely see the deep bomb, but YAC will more than make up for it. More running than last year, more RB pass catching, and distributing the ball to our various WRs is what Kelly wants. It is how he uses the clock, move fast, move the chains, gas the D...it really is a joy to watch when it works. In Bradford it looks like Kelly has the guy to pilot the ship, great vision, quick decisions, fast and accurate release. I liked Foles a lot, but Sam is the clearly superior talent for this offense.

Joegrane
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Sep 2 2015, 11:09 AM) *
... Austin's main threat is what he can do after the catch, because his hands aren't so great. ... I'm guessing Chip Kelly paid close attention to Austin's history, especially since I don't remember seeing Austin this preseason...

I only recall one catch by Austin but it was a tough veteran play where he setup the defender and caught a contested ball.

I think Austin is here to provide veteran leadership. I assume he has a rep for being a high character guy.

Zero
Dreagon
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 2 2015, 07:05 PM) *
I only recall one catch by Austin but it was a tough veteran play where he setup the defender and caught a contested ball.

I think Austin is here to provide veteran leadership. I assume he has a rep for being a high character guy.

He is very strong, and a pretty big target. He's kind of a poor man's Terrell Owens, only without any of he drama. The thing that has always overshadowed his career is his inability to stay healthy. It would drive us crazy watching him run out of bounds and then grab his hamstring...again.

Character wise he's fine. His only minor brush with notoriety was dating Kim Kardashian, and a lot of guys have done that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.