Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Revisiting Off season Moves the week before final cuts
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Move by move this offseason, yea, nea, or indifferent: (New 2015 cap values of their deals listed)

Cut James Casey - signed with DEN (1.25M) - good move
Cut Todd Herrmans - signed with IND (1.875M) - not smart to part ways with both starting OG's
Cut C. Williams - signed with SEA (4.67M) - best fucking move ever. Chip's a genius
Don't sign T. Cole - signed with IND (6.97M) - OK with the move but needed to buy depth elsewhere given Smith failure
Don't sign B. Fletcher -sgined with NE (2.1M) - more proof of Chip's genius
Don't sign J. Maclin - signed with KC (3.4M) - stupid move. Penny wise and pound foolish. Pay him and rid Austin and Cooper. We created a need.

Trade Foles and a 2nd and a 4th for Bradford and a 5th - Foles signed with STL (4.1M), Bradford (13.0M) cap - this is looking good right now. Bradford looks to be a top two tier QB, capable of winning a SB where Foles has not played well.

Trade McCoy for Alonzo. McCoy signed for 5.5M cap vs. 0.8M for Alonzo
Cut Polk, signed with HOU for 0.75M
Sign Murray for 5.0M cap
Sign Mathews for 2.0M cap

Taken together, the above four changes in RB were an overall upgrade if Alonzo can contribute and justify the $1M more it cost us to do these trades and sign. That should be easy to do, although less easier than I thought three weeks ago.

Resign B. Graham - 6.0M cap. - may be a good move, not sure. Got him for $1M cheaper than Cole. Not sure Cole isn't the better player. The fact that he played twice as much as Graham last year, leads me to believe Cole was better. Ok with youth movement here but not enough depth to go that way.

Sign B. Maxwell - 8.7M cap. Had to do it. Great move.
Sign W. Thurmond - 3.25M cap. Good gamble at a low price. Played really well at S.

Sign M. Austin - 2.25M cap. In the context that resigning Maclin was the no brainer, can't be happy with this. However, if Maclin was gone, than he may be OK pickup but really he hasn't done anything yet. Jury out.

Low cost pickups of CB Biggars and WR/ST Ajirotutu - look like good moves

Sign T. Tebow - 0.66M cap. - what else would we have to talk about? Don't like the move. He is not good enough IMO

Released E. Mathis - signed with DEN 2.5M cap, max of 4.0M cap. The starting OG's have been solid, not spectacular but at this point, they haven't stood out with mistakes or sacks which is good. Our offense has doen well with them in there. Barbre has struggled on 2nd level, Gardner has played well. The team with Mathis as a starter and either Gardner or Barbre off the bench is much better. If we have an OL injury, look out. We created a need.

Traded Boykin to PIT for a conditional 5th. 1.54M cap. Created a need. Boylin is better than any other 3rd CB, especially in the slot.

Imagine how much better this team would be to add Maclin (3.4M), Mathis (his old 5.5M) and Boykin (1.5M), while removing Austin 2.25M, Cooper 4.8M and another 0.6M OG. For approx an extra $3M of cap, we would be much better.

Most people weren't concerned because they were of the mindset that THIS wasn't the go for it year. Sounds like opinions on that have changed.

THIS looks like the year to me so far, and those three players would go a long way to making it one with a trophy IMO.
mcnabbulous
They're guards. By definition they won't be spectacular. They will be fine.
Reality Fan
Mikey...as usual you are:

A. never satisfied
B. Wrong on may points

You are still vexed by the removal of 2 guards who missed a combined 16 games last year...and are 33 and 35 years old.......
Herremans was on the downside as it was and he signed for under 2 million in Indy which tells you all you need to know about his value yet you ignore your own previous logic on the correlation of money vs. talent. What is your excuse here, Herremans wasn't released early enough?

Riley Cooper? if they cut hin they take a 6.2 million hit of dead money against the 2015 cap so now Maclin would be a 18 million dollar WR...and you think that is a wise move? For a team that was drafting in a WT rich draft and planning to put a heavy emphasis on the run?

Running Back? It is only an upgrade if Alonzo what? I don't care if Alonzo only carries duffel bags this season.....any way you shake it Murray AND Matthews vs McCoy is an upgrade....Alonzo was a nice addition but whether he plays a down this year or not we are better at RB right now than we were last year. How is McCoy's hammy?

Graham is interesting....so lets look at last year.......playing half as many snaps as Cole last year he had 1 less sack and 6 less tackles......me thinks Cole was playing for his leadership, respect and fat contract......graham was still evolving......my guess is that Graham will be a younger, faster Cole...

Boykin? are we going to live off of his 2013 season? he was as bad as the rest of the secondary last year.......he certainly regressed from 2013 to 2014. I wish him well but he was not going to make or break our year.....opens a spot to ease in a young CB who can transition to the outside eventually.

Now quit trying to kill my Eagles buzz damn it!!!!
Phits
I still don't think that this is "the year". I believe that this is a transition year and should determine what/where we need to improve in order to become a SB favourite.

IMO the real question is regarding our DC and whether the players or his coaching is the fatal flaw. This season should help answer that question.
mcnabbulous
Yeah, RF was right on all of those.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 30 2015, 08:16 PM) *
Mikey...as usual you are:

A. never satisfied
B. Wrong on may points

You are still vexed by the removal of 2 guards who missed a combined 16 games last year...and are 33 and 35 years old.......
Herremans was on the downside as it was and he signed for under 2 million in Indy which tells you all you need to know about his value yet you ignore your own previous logic on the correlation of money vs. talent. What is your excuse here, Herremans wasn't released early enough?

Riley Cooper? if they cut hin they take a 6.2 million hit of dead money against the 2015 cap so now Maclin would be a 18 million dollar WR...and you think that is a wise move? For a team that was drafting in a WT rich draft and planning to put a heavy emphasis on the run?

Running Back? It is only an upgrade if Alonzo what? I don't care if Alonzo only carries duffel bags this season.....any way you shake it Murray AND Matthews vs McCoy is an upgrade....Alonzo was a nice addition but whether he plays a down this year or not we are better at RB right now than we were last year. How is McCoy's hammy?

Graham is interesting....so lets look at last year.......playing half as many snaps as Cole last year he had 1 less sack and 6 less tackles......me thinks Cole was playing for his leadership, respect and fat contract......graham was still evolving......my guess is that Graham will be a younger, faster Cole...

Boykin? are we going to live off of his 2013 season? he was as bad as the rest of the secondary last year.......he certainly regressed from 2013 to 2014. I wish him well but he was not going to make or break our year.....opens a spot to ease in a young CB who can transition to the outside eventually.

Now quit trying to kill my Eagles buzz damn it!!!!

Please tell me you know that the hit for eating Cooper's signing bonus all has to come out of our cap it is just a matter when. Whether we take some this year and some next year or all this year, the hit is the same. And by cutting him, we do save the real money of his salary this year.

I've said this a few times in recent months and I'll repeat it here. I judge this team and these moves we made as to how they go about putting the best team on the field each week of this year to win a Super Bowl this year. The overall tenor of my post was positive as most of the moves we made were good moves. If your job depended on us winning a Super Bowl this year would you have spent the extra $3M of cap to keep Mathis, Maclin and Boykin?

If the stats about Graham over Cole are correct then it was the right move to get rid of him. I don't know why Chip would try to bring him back with offers to stay if he felt that way but regardless, if that was the case, they put the money on the better horse. If Cole accepts our $5M per offer, does Graham go elsewhere and does that mean then Cole was the right move? I think in any event, you would agree we needed more depth, given how bad Smith was last year.

On the OG's, I say our team is better with Mathis and/or Herremans than the two we have, and without a doubt, pushing Barbre and/or Gardner down the depth chart makes us deeper for when the OL injury bug hits. Our OL depth blows.

Boykin played better than our CB's in 2013 and 2014. Boykin was better in the slot than what we have here now.

Yeah you're probably right on the RB's provided that the two give us more than McCoy and Polk did. With the healthier line and the extra commitment to the run this year, that should happen provided they are healthier than they've been.

I think many people were OK with us not "going for it" this year and graded the moves from that prism. I don't. Now that we have a team capable of going places, the lost opportunity may be costly. I hope not, but we'd be better otherwise IMO.

All that being said, I am pretty happy where we are. When you set your sights on a SB chmapionship, you grade without a curve!!

D Rock
Maclin was offered a market value contract. Reid overpaid. Can't fault chip there. Mac wanted to go home. The rookie at 1/10th the price is more than fine by me.

I have zero complaints about the moves made and not made. The ONLY one I question is Trent. But given his age and Graham's play, I can't go so far as to say it was wrong or a mistake.
Joegrane
Until yesterday I agreed with you very strongly. However, if Bradford is going to be that good, the D only has to be average. That TD pass with a defender closing fast was very impressive.

One thing that concerns me is the D's recent history of not getting off the field on third and long. I assume the upgrades at ILB and DB will help but they have a different philosophy than Jimmy Johnson. JJ would allow a team to rack up big yards on the ground but since the offense usually had built a lead, the passing D was critical in 4th Qt for a W.

QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 30 2015, 09:21 PM) *
I still don't think that this is "the year". I believe that this is a transition year and should determine what/where we need to improve ...

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 30 2015, 09:59 PM) *
Please tell me you know that the hit for eating Cooper's signing bonus all has to come out of our cap it is just a matter when. Whether we take some this year and some next year or all this year, the hit is the same. And by cutting him, we do save the real money of his salary this year.

Silly question.....but do you eat it all this year AND pay Maclin 11.5 or 12 as well? Or draft Maclin's replacement and eat Cooper's 2.4 next year. You also need to replace Cooper in your scenario with a competent 3-4 WR which will cost you Austin money or close to it....please tell me you knew that....lol

I've said this a few times in recent months and I'll repeat it here. I judge this team and these moves we made as to how they go about putting the best team on the field each week of this year to win a Super Bowl this year. The overall tenor of my post was positive as most of the moves we made were good moves. If your job depended on us winning a Super Bowl this year would you have spent the extra $3M of cap to keep Mathis, Maclin and Boykin?

The job is to improve the team while keeping an eye on the big picture.....not micromanaging each player's impact on fan morale.

If the stats about Graham over Cole are correct then it was the right move to get rid of him. I don't know why Chip would try to bring him back with offers to stay if he felt that way but regardless, if that was the case, they put the money on the better horse. If Cole accepts our $5M per offer, does Graham go elsewhere and does that mean then Cole was the right move? I think in any event, you would agree we needed more depth, given how bad Smith was last year.

If the stats are correct? I am hurt....by now I would have thought my reputation for using PFR for documentation would be recognized....but yes...they are correct. Cole at 5 million probably would have signaled the end of Graham....I do not think the Eagles felt the upgrade to Graham was something that major......that being said, Graham is likely better for this system right now....probably a beast by week 8...

On the OG's, I say our team is better with Mathis and/or Herremans than the two we have, and without a doubt, pushing Barbre and/or Gardner down the depth chart makes us deeper for when the OL injury bug hits. Our OL depth blows.

I beleive it is called picking your poison.....impossible to have great depth at every position.....no team does.

Boykin played better than our CB's in 2013 and 2014. Boykin was better in the slot than what we have here now.

ummmm.......ok......Boykin was ordinary in 2014.....saying he was better than Williams or Fletcher is not exactly a glowing endorsement...and you naturally omit the fact that he was leaving after this season at which point we would have gotten nothing for him....again...big picture

Yeah you're probably right on the RB's provided that the two give us more than McCoy and Polk did. With the healthier line and the extra commitment to the run this year, that should happen provided they are healthier than they've been.

I am going to be bald with all this head scratching....Chris Polk? Seriously? You can honestly compare McCoy and Polk to Murray and Matthews? You are just trying to get a reaction, right?

I think many people were OK with us not "going for it" this year and graded the moves from that prism. I don't. Now that we have a team capable of going places, the lost opportunity may be costly. I hope not, but we'd be better otherwise IMO.

I am just plain happy with the offseason....no caveats....no "going for it" crap....I think they upgraded their defense significantly...even with the catastrophic loss of Boykin..(said with sarcasm..lol)....offense should be improved as well....very happy
All that being said, I am pretty happy where we are. When you set your sights on a SB chmapionship, you grade without a curve!!

Eyrie
Most of the moves are good, although I remain to be convinced by the wisdom of creating a need at both G spots at the same time and then trying to fill the holes with last year's back ups rather than improve with fresh blood. I'd have preferred to add a pick in the McCoy/Alonso trade.

I'd point out that we made Maclin an excellent offer, it's just that someone else offered even more. At what point does offering a little bit more stop being acceptable when you don't have the benefit of hindsight?

Boykin was simply not that good last year.

My only other gripe is that we haven't addressed the need for a third OLB but have pinned our hopes on last year's non-event Smith coming good in his sophomore season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.