Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Murray and Mathews
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I was amazed. Almost every time these guys carried the ball they gained big chunks after they were hit. Shady made guys look silly all the time by not being there ... poof, gone. But I think I like this better. Moving these two in and out of the lineup then running Sproles or Barner? And, is there any way Barner doesn't make the team?
Joegrane
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 30 2015, 08:12 AM) *
I was amazed. Almost every time these guys carried the ball they gained big chunks after they were hit. Shady made guys look silly all the time by not being there ... poof, gone. But I think I like this better. Moving these two in and out of the lineup then running Sproles or Barner? And, is there any way Barner doesn't make the team?

Shady was fun to watch, but that did not always translate into production. He was more like a baseball hitter who is always swinging for the fences.

The Special Teams coach probably won't appreciate it because Barner takes a spot away from a LB or DB who would be bigger and more physical.

In the long run it helps the Eagles. Barner is the likely successor to Sproles.
JeeQ
Barner has been the preseason MVP... If anyone deserves a spot on this team it's Barner

Never thought I'd be saying that after last season
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 30 2015, 01:29 PM) *
Barner has been the preseason MVP... If anyone deserves a spot on this team it's Barner

Never thought I'd be saying that after last season

It's almost like young players can get better with experience.
mcnabbulous
Both of these RBs are giving us exactly what we need. This offense isn't designed to score fast. It's designed to move fast and specifically move the chains fast. McCoy and Foles didn't facilitate that type of style.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 30 2015, 02:38 PM) *
Both of these RBs are giving us exactly what we need. This offense isn't designed to score fast. It's designed to move fast and specifically move the chains fast. McCoy and Foles didn't facilitate that type of style.

Let's not jump on McCoy's grave just yet.

Murray and Mathews look good, as does Barner, as did McCoy as did/does Sproles as did Polk, as did Josey as did Fluellen as did Tucker.

I'm happy with what I'm seeing at RB this year, but we did a hell of a job running it the last two years.

FWIW, it is safer to score fast. The fewer plays, the less margin for error. So I'm not complaining about awesome long runs in the snow when those quick scores leave less room for error. Maybe Murray and/or Mathews will be able to be quick strike. If they're not, we will lose some potency of this offense. Need to hope the gain in consistency outwieghs the quick strike, but let's not diss the quick strike. It served us well.

Out of neceessity, Sproles will get more WR work this year. We rid ourselves of Maclin and we have two RB's with higher profiles who need the ball. That will be an added dimension, but the decision to add it was Chip's. He could have had Sproles much more involved last year. It was his choice.
nd9kel
FWIW, it is safer to score fast. The fewer plays, the less margin for error. So I'm not complaining about awesome long runs in the snow when those quick scores leave less room for error. Maybe Murray and/or Mathews will be able to be quick strike. If they're not, we will lose some potency of this offense. Need to hope the gain in consistency outwieghs the quick strike, but let's not diss the quick strike. It served us well.

I don't think I watched the same game you did.
Eyrie
I'd say our defence will be grateful if our offense moves at the same pace but in smaller steps since it will give them more of a breather between series.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 30 2015, 04:23 PM) *

I don't think anybody i suggesting that Shady 'sucks', for the purposes of running this offense, his boom or bust style wasn't ideal.
Birdwatcher

Murray and Mathews look good, as does Barner, as did McCoy as did/does Sproles as did Polk, as did Josey as did Fluellen as did Tucker.

I'm happy with what I'm seeing at RB this year, but we did a hell of a job running it the last two years.

Out of neceessity, Sproles will get more WR work this year. We rid ourselves of Maclin and we have two RB's with higher profiles who need the ball. That will be an added dimension, but the decision to add it was Chip's. He could have had Sproles much more involved last year. It was his choice.

Chip is going to get back to the fifty-fifty run/pass ratio he had in his first year, that way opposing Ds really have no idea which way you will go. That will make the O even more dangerous and add a bit to TOP also. I think Chip finally has the pieces he wanted and we will see that even the 'good' teams will have a hard time slowing us down.

The D is a work in progress, guys are still making mistakes from the lack of playing together. But if the D can keep opponents to 20 or less a game, I think we win most of the time. If we can stay ahead of the turnover ratio, the odds of winning goes up more, and I think they have put an emphasis on takeaways.

What really stands out is how phucking organized and efficient this team is, and this is just preseason. I am loving Chip-ball, it is so fast and furious you can't take your eyes off the screen or you miss something. He's on to something, and all those doubters and haters out there might have to hop on the bandwagon this year.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Aug 30 2015, 05:24 PM) *
Chip is going to get back to the fifty-fifty run/pass ratio he had in his first year, that way opposing Ds really have no idea which way you will go. That will make the O even more dangerous and add a bit to TOP also. I think Chip finally has the pieces he wanted and we will see that even the 'good' teams will have a hard time slowing us down.

The D is a work in progress, guys are still making mistakes from the lack of playing together. But if the D can keep opponents to 20 or less a game, I think we win most of the time. If we can stay ahead of the turnover ratio, the odds of winning goes up more, and I think they have put an emphasis on takeaways.

What really stands out is how phucking organized and efficient this team is, and this is just preseason. I am loving Chip-ball, it is so fast and furious you can't take your eyes off the screen or you miss something. He's on to something, and all those doubters and haters out there might have to hop on the bandwagon this year.

I said last night that watching other teams offenses are boring and I'm impatient. Similar to how watching an entire game telecast doesn't meet the Redzone boost you get from watchign the RZ.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 30 2015, 03:23 PM) *
FWIW, it is safer to score fast. The fewer plays, the less margin for error. So I'm not complaining about awesome long runs in the snow when those quick scores leave less room for error. Maybe Murray and/or Mathews will be able to be quick strike. If they're not, we will lose some potency of this offense.

Murray isn't exactly a home run hitter, but he can pick you up large chunks of yardage fast. What he manages to do sometimes is get past the linebackers with a burst, and then force the faster defensive backs to run him down. They usually do, but it's often thirty or forty yards downfield when that happens. And if your wide receivers happen to be able to run block...
Zero
Ta da! Shady was fun, but these guys should be even more fun because they keep moving forward.
D Rock
Shady was and is a douche.

Can we please move on from discussing his dumb ass?
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 30 2015, 12:17 PM) *
It's almost like young players can get better with experience.

Unless that person is named Tim Tebow, Matt Barkley, Marcus Smith, or Geno Smith laugh.gif
D Rock
Marcus Smith is getting better
Joegrane
Let's not jump on McCoy's grave just yet....

No, but I'll be tweeting an invitation to an orgy on his grave.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I really liked Shady until the BS about racism.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Aug 31 2015, 06:20 PM) *
No, but I'll be tweeting an invitation to an orgy on his grave.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I really liked Shady until the BS about racism.

I really liked McCoy the RB, did not like McCoy the persona.

Murray and Mathews seem to be an upgrade in character.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.