Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Much do you think Bradford should play Sat
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
C'mon Chip wannabees. YOU make the call
Ced83
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 27 2015, 09:51 PM) *

Two series or less is my vote but I really think he need at least the first half.
Zero
QUOTE (Ced83 @ Aug 27 2015, 11:38 PM) *
...I really think he need at least the first half.

I think that's what he means by "should."
Zero
I'm truly anxious to see him play an entire game, but now I think a quarter + is probably the best next step. I want to see him get into a rhythm.
nephillymike
I know only two things:

1. Bradford did not look comfortable and effective last week. He double clutched, threw high, threw low, took a few hits in only one series.

2. He will not play in the 4th preseason game.

As this is his last chance to get comfortable in a game situation before they count, he needs to play and play a lot.

We've heard how he had the best Pro Day since Peyton Manning.

We've heard from players and coaches how accurate his throws are and how strong his arm is.

These have always been assets.

How does a QB with these assets struggle with a career QB rating of 79?

Game day execution.

Sure his line was not good at times. Sure his weapons were limited many times.

Even in a body of work that has him with a very good INT rate, he still has under performed. He was 18-30 as a starter.

Why?

Pocket pressence and performance inside the pocket. He was a check down Charlie, ridding himself of the ball too early and even for that tendency did not have great game day accuracy.

It would be foolish to lose the opportunity to right that flaw before the season.

If Chip is too scared to afford him that opportunity, I think he's sending the kid the wrong message.

Gotta man up Big Balls Chip!!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 28 2015, 06:50 AM) *
Why?

Pocket pressence and performance inside the pocket. He was a check down Charlie, ridding himself of the ball too early and even for that tendency did not have great game day accuracy.

I think the answer is similar to what the concerns were for Mariota:
1. He came from an offense that was very different than what he would be running in the NFL. He was operating outside of his comfort zone without sufficient talent around him to allow him time to grow and adjust.
2. The one year he did well he had Shurmer as his OC and was well coached. After that the system, surrounding talent and new coaching conspired against him.
3. He doesn't have a Roethlisberger, McNabb or Romo physique. Maybe he's not the QB who is physically able to lift a team on his back in rough going. He's skinny with a strong arm, fast release and sharp mind.
An argument could be made he's a system QB who's been like a duck (pun pun pun) out of Oregon.

mcnabbulous
The reason he was 18-30 is because the Rams were the worst team in NFL history prior to his arrival.

They were 6-42 in the 3 seasons prior to drafting Bradford. 7-9 his rookie year. Don't think too much about this.

As it relates to this preseason, Chip cares about the long term. Not making sure Sam is ready for week one. We can beat Atlanta with 75% of Bradford's best.
JeeQ
As many series as it takes him to put points on the board... Then he's done for the game

As much as I'd like to see him to get as much playing time as possible can you imagine losing him for the season in a meaningless game after giving up Foles, a draft pick, and paying him 12 million? Brutal
Reality Fan
Just to irritate Mikey.....

I hope they don't play him at all......

I can almost imagine the indigestion at the Mikey household...the cursing...the Chip bashing.....it would be glorious.....hahahaha

I will be surprised if he does not play the first quarter and some of the 2nd......with Chip you never know...he might play the whole game....

But still...the thought of Mikey losing his marbles when Sanchez saunters out for the first series has a certain appeal....lol
Eyrie
Bradford needs game time, so I'd give him the first half.

Then I'd let Sanchez play the rest of the game on the basis that next week will be Barkley trying to lose his job and Tebow missing receivers.
Phits
What the coaches look for and what the fans want to see are often two very different things. Coaches are trying to fill up their rosters, so the focus should be on the fringe players... Not the experienced veterans.

Ultimately, I would prefer to limit his exposure in a meaninglessness preseason game. IMO anything more than a quarter is too much. He's not an inexperienced pro player who needs to get used to NFL speed. More importantl, you don't shake the rust off in the preseason. That will only happen in the regular season.

JeeQ
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 28 2015, 10:40 AM) *

I can almost imagine the indigestion at the Mikey household...the cursing...the Chip bashing.....it would be glorious.....hahahaha

I will be surprised if he does not play the first quarter and some of the 2nd......with Chip you never know...he might play the whole game....

But still...the thought of Mikey losing his marbles when Sanchez saunters out for the first series has a certain appeal....lol

The more I think about it the more I don't want him to play at all tomorrow... This headline is nightmare fuel

"Sam Bradford Tears His ACL In A Preseason Game Against The Packers When Rodgers Didn't Even Play"

Can go ahead and flush our entire season down the drain before it starts... Chip will be the laughing stock of the league for years to come

Whew... Just saw Clay Matthews won't be playing at least... I was ready to throw in the towel for Bradford
D Rock
He needs to play. If he's going to get hurt again, whats the difference between preseason week 3 or reg season week 3? Our season is toast either way. He needs to play. I voted for a full half.

Pila
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 28 2015, 03:51 AM) *

For completely selfish reasons, I hope he plays the whole game.

If something happens to Bradford in the 4th quarter, I'll just blame Chip.

"How could he be so stupid!? Jesus fucking Tebow!"
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 28 2015, 03:12 PM) *
He needs to play. If he's going to get hurt again, whats the difference between preseason week 3 or reg season week 3? Our season is toast either way. He needs to play. I voted for a full half.

I'm already annoyed by the media response to that scenario. It would be unbearable.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 28 2015, 06:12 PM) *
What the coaches look for and what the fans want to see are often two very different things. Coaches are trying to fill up their rosters, so the focus should be on the fringe players... Not the experienced veterans.

Ultimately, I would prefer to limit his exposure in a meaninglessness preseason game. IMO anything more than a quarter is too much. He's not an inexperienced pro player who needs to get used to NFL speed. More importantl, you don't shake the rust off in the preseason. That will only happen in the regular season.

I completely disagree.

He is closer to "inexperienced pro player" than you think. He hasn't played a regular season snap since early 2013, and he's NEVER taken a pro snap in Kelly's system. You often hear QBs returning from injury saying how that have to "get used to the speed of the game again." He's been gone nearly as long as teblow. That's saying something.

Guy needs snaps. And if he's gonna get hurt, who cares if it's preseason week 3 or regular season?
JeeQ
QUOTE (Pila @ Aug 28 2015, 01:13 PM) *
For completely selfish reasons, I hope he plays the whole game.

If something happens to Bradford in the 4th quarter, I'll just blame Chip.

"How could he be so stupid!?Jesus fucking Tebow!"

Laughed way too damn hard at that laugh.gif
Eyrie
A player can get injured at any time - just think what could have happened when Bradford finally got on the field last week, only to find a cheap shot artist targeting his knees.

He needs to play.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 28 2015, 12:40 PM) *

You are right, that would make me go off the deep end!

I want him to be ready for Week 1.

Remember, this is the same guy who contemplated giving up football last November.

The more he plays, the more "firsts" he sees.

What about building up the stamina a QB has to have to run this hurry up offense?

He needs to play.

Rodgers has already played 46 snaps this preseason vs. 14 for Bradford.

In 2013 and 2014, both starters, Vick and Foles, played at least 46 snaps in game three.

Did I say, he needs to play?
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 28 2015, 08:16 AM) *
The reason he was 18-30 is because the Rams were the worst team in NFL history prior to his arrival.

They were 6-42 in the 3 seasons prior to drafting Bradford. 7-9 his rookie year. Don't think too much about this.

As it relates to this preseason, Chip cares about the long term. Not making sure Sam is ready for week one. We can beat Atlanta with 75% of Bradford's best.

FWIW, I heard today that the game is a pick-em right now in Vegas.
JeeQ
Fuck it then... If he dies, he dies

I'm jumping on the make him play bandwagon... Damn Mikey and his numbers
Pila
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 29 2015, 01:39 AM) *
Fuck it then... If he dies, he dies

I'm jumping on the make him play bandwagon... Damn Mikey and his numbers

Blaze of glory! Go down with 18 holes!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Pila @ Aug 28 2015, 07:46 PM) *
Blaze of glory! Go down with 18 holes!

Really!

gotta play him.

I heard something today on the Fanatic that 24 of the 25 ACL tears since camps have started were NON CONTACT injuries.

WTF! How do you coach out of that? If his knee is weak, he'll likely get injured. Playing him this week won't effect that.

nd9kel
How does a QB with these assets struggle with a career QB rating of 79?

Easy. Ram's receivers. The only one who could catch worth hoot was practice team play Danny Amendola, and the Patriots snatched him up. The "dropsies" were a plague in St. Louis.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 28 2015, 04:22 PM) *
I completely disagree.

He is closer to "inexperienced pro player" than you think. He hasn't played a regular season snap since early 2013, and he's NEVER taken a pro snap in Kelly's system. You often hear QBs returning from injury saying how that have to "get used to the speed of the game again." He's been gone nearly as long as teblow. That's saying something.

He's got 49 career starts. He's been a starter since his rookie season. I find it hard to believe that extended play in a meaningless pre-season game will shake off the rust or get him used to the speed of the game.

D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 29 2015, 04:21 PM) *
He's got 49 career starts. He's been a starter since his rookie season. I find it hard to believe that extended play in a meaningless pre-season game will shake off the rust or get him used to the speed of the game.

Hasn't played in 2 years. New to system. New to the team.

I find it pointless to play scared when the guy CLEARLY needs all the reps he can get.

Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 29 2015, 05:02 PM) *
Hasn't played in 2 years. New to system. New to the team.

I find it pointless to play scared when the guy CLEARLY needs all the reps he can get.

Considering how vanilla "the new system's" play book is during the the pre-season, I am not sure how much that plays into shaking off the rust.

Face it, the only reason there's a pre-season is to generate revenue for the team and the league. It's really useless.
SAM I Am
2 Series was enough for me. He is ready.

Speed_Kills
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Aug 29 2015, 08:30 PM) *
2 Series was enough for me. He is ready.

LOL. Yep.

His PS has now consisted of 4 series, 13/15, 160+ yard, 3 td's, four total td's.

See you Monday night in the ATL #7! Until then, just keep strengthening the knee. Each day gets it further and further from the last injury and one day healthier!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.