Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mathis 1 yr deal as Bronco
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
says he turned down 5.5 to play for a contender.

What a mook
Ced83
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Aug 25 2015, 05:23 PM) *
says he turned down 5.5 to play for a contender.

What a mook

He still playing for a contender. He got tired of the milkshakes, alarm clocks and body monitors.
mcnabbulous
No, he had an unrealistic salary expectation for himself. Whether it was his own doing or Rosenhaus in his ear, he bungled this one.
JeeQ
99.9% chance that 5.5M offer was from Miami... can't blame him for wanting to play for Peyton Manning though... huge upgrade QB wise
Reality Fan
Not only is he losing 1.5 million...his contract is loaded with playing incentives so if he gets hurt again it is even less....

What an idiotic move....no other way to spin it...
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Ced83 @ Aug 25 2015, 07:20 PM) *
He still playing for a contender. He got tired of the milkshakes, alarm clocks and body monitors.

hmmm...so you feel that he made a wise move in giving up at least 1.5 million and likely more so he won't have to stay in tip top shape?

And if he gets hurt that number grows even larger....you think that was a wise move?
nephillymike
He lost, plain and simple, unless the Broncos win the SB and he deems that worthy of $1.5M, he lost.

I doubt it cost Rosenass any money.

Had he known he would "only" sign an incentive laden $4M deal, I assume he would not have held out.

Not sure if $4M is his true market value as that would be determined at the start of free agency. However, he knew he wasn't in free agency and is short in the pockets for it.

As far as he goes, it really isn't a one year deal comparison. I guess he and Rosenass can view his two year deal with the Eagles as being $11M over two years. Right now he's $1.5M short in year one, but if he plays well gets to FA next year and cashes in, he could actually make more cash over a two year period.

The style of blocking in DEN suits his skill set.

In order for the Eagles to be the "winner" in this saga, Gardner needs to play well enough that it doesn't cost us anything significant. We'll have to wait on that one. So far he seems adequate with no major bluffs.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 25 2015, 09:39 PM) *
He lost, plain and simple, unless the Broncos win the SB and he deems that worthy of $1.5M, he lost.

Had he known he would "only" sign an incentive laden $4M deal, I assume he would not have held out.

Not sure if $4M is his true market value as that would be determined at the start of free agency. However, he knew he wasn't in free agency and is short in the pockets for it.

As far as he goes, it really isn't a one year deal comparison. I guess he and Rosenass can view his two year deal with the Eagles as being $11M over two years. Right now he's $1.5M short in year one, but if he plays well gets to FA next year and cashes in, he could actually make more cash over a two year period.

The style of blocking in DEN suits his skill set.

In order for the Eagles to be the "winner" in this saga, Gardner needs to play well enough that it doesn't cost us anything significant. We'll have to wait on that one. So far he seems adequate with no major bluffs.

do you honestly believe he will make more next year? He will be a year older and he is not going to get 7 million at 35......and if he gets hurt it will be even more of a hit....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 25 2015, 09:00 PM) *
do you honestly believe he will make more next year? He will be a year older and he is not going to get 7 million at 35......and if he gets hurt it will be even more of a hit....

If he plays near the level he did last year, without injuries, he could sign a nice short term deal with the guaranteed money being in excess of $7M.

We'll see.

If he was a FA this March that just passed, do you think he would have did better than $11M over 2 years including the signing bonus? I think he would have.

A year older, we'll see.
D Rock
QUOTE (Ced83 @ Aug 26 2015, 12:20 AM) *

laugh.gif

Bullshit.

He got snowed, or was delusional enough to believe tha market would pay him more than the $5.5Mil he agreed to play with the Iggles for.

Do you think there's an OGuard in the league who wouldn't love to play between JPeters and Kelce foe a mere $5.5Mil, and ISNT BAT SHIT CRAZY?!?!?!?

Milkshakes? pfffft

laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 25 2015, 10:08 PM) *
If he plays near the level he did last year, without injuries, he could sign a nice short term deal with the guaranteed money being in excess of $7M.

We'll see.

If he was a FA this March that just passed, do you think he would have did better than $11M over 2 years including the signing bonus? I think he would have.

A year older, we'll see.

No...I don't...not at 35 and coming off a season where he missed 8 games....
mcnabbulous
Agree with RF here. There's no way he's getting a better deal next year.
Joegrane

Sure it will. Other players see how badly this worked for Matthis. Can M. be that blindly greedy? No, it has to be a mistake by "Rosenass as well.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 26 2015, 12:16 PM) *
Agree with RF here. There's no way he's getting a better deal next year.

RF and Nabby,

So can the three of us agree that if whatever Mathis makes this year plus whatever guaranteed money he gets in a new contract next year (including Signing bonus), if that is more than the $11M he would have gotten here in the two years had he played out the string, then he "won" the financial side of this deal? If it is less than that, he lost.

Fair enough parameters?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 26 2015, 06:53 PM) *
RF and Nabby,

So can the three of us agree that if whatever Mathis makes this year plus whatever guaranteed money he gets in a new contract next year (including Signing bonus), if that is more than the $11M he would have gotten here in the two years had he played out the string, then he "won" the financial side of this deal? If it is less than that, he lost.

Fair enough parameters?

Is it that easy? Under those circumstances, don't we have to assume that he would have made some amount of money after 2016 if he is getting a significant guaranteed amount after this year?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 26 2015, 07:53 PM) *
RF and Nabby,

Fair enough parameters?

No....if he gets a one year deal in excess of 7 million than he will have won....if he gets a 3 year contract for 12 million with 8 guaranteed than he still lost

He would have made 11 million between 2015 and 2016....he is 7 in the holes right now...barring making 7 or more next year he has lost.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 26 2015, 11:34 PM) *
No....if he gets a one year deal in excess of 7 million than he will have won....if he gets a 3 year contract for 12 million with 8 guaranteed than he still lost

He would have made 11 million between 2015 and 2016....he is 7 in the holes right now...barring making 7 or more next year he has lost.

That 4M is not guaranteed, there are incentives built in for playing time and other things. So he may, and probably won't, earn every one, making it is less than a 4M contract right now.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 26 2015, 10:34 PM) *

I don't think that is realistic.

If you are telling me he could have played here this year for 5.5 and next year for 5.5, a total of $11M none of it guaranteed

Versus

Playing for $4M this year and signing a contract no matter how many years next year but he gets $7.5M of SB and guarantees and the later not being the better deal, I don't see that. I can see not counting the rest of his next deal, but at the end of two years he is better off.

In the latter, he made 0.5M more AND he converted $7.5M to a guaranteed deal, that has to be the winning deal for him. At the end of 2 years, he made .5M more and got rid of the risk.

$11M at risk vs 11.5 with 7.5 no risk is the better deal.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 26 2015, 11:55 PM) *
I don't think that is realistic.

If you are telling me he could have played here this year for 5.5 and next year for 5.5, a total of $11M none of it guaranteed

Versus

Playing for $4M this year and signing a contract no matter how many years next year but he gets $7.5M of SB and guarantees and the later not being the better deal, I don't see that. I can see not counting the rest of his next deal, but at the end of two years he is better off.

In the latter, he made 0.5M more AND he converted $7.5M to a guaranteed deal, that has to be the winning deal for him. At the end of 2 years, he made .5M more and got rid of the risk.

$11M at risk vs 11.5 with 7.5 no risk is the better deal.

Ok...so lets review your logic here.....

You see risk in the 11 million he was going to get here over the next 2 years but none in the incentive laden 4 million for this year and then no risk in him getting an even better contract at 36 for multiple years and heavy guaranteed money when he could not even get the 4 million for this year guaranteed......

at least here he had a contract for 11 million.....right now he has incentives he needs to hit to make 4....

talk about scratching my head...
FlySusanFly
He lost all his leverage with the season getting closer and closer. Serves him right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.