Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Game Observations -
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
- had some success running at Thornton
Hicks - nice pressure early
Carroll - looked good in coverage
R. Mathews - rushing TB, untouched!
LB Skinner - playing with the two's - he was listed as 4th string, maybe they see soemthing
Bradford - taken out - pussy move by Chip - if you're scared, get a dog, otherwise put the damn QB in the game
Murray TD - UNTOUCHED
Sproles - more than annoyed with his misses last year and this!
Missed TD to Maehl - 1/2 Sanchez, 1/2 Maehl. I'm ready for Bailey over Maehl
Moffit - struggling at OG
Smith jawing at Algholar on sidelines. Throw a down out and up to the kid for a TD so he can hand the ball to Smith
I told Barner he made the team LAST WEEK!
Did you see Matthews give handshakes on the TD that was called back? Handshakes! Me and J. Moyer are back in style!
Goode missed INT. He needs to get it going. I thought he was solid last year before injury, not so much this year.
Sanchez looked solid. Good to see.

My son's quote of the night at the two minute warning:

"It's not a two minute warning for the Eagles offense. It's a two minute "just letting you know".
I remember being frantic when we had 5 minutes left with Andy about not having enough time.

Team looks really good. All of those penalties against BAL is because they're not good enough to keep up. Was the same way in practice this week. If not good enough, hold, interfere, trip or whatever.

BTW, the hit by Suggs was legal. If I were a DC, I would hit our QB every time he fakes the hand off. That was already ruled legal by the league last year. Why they don't do it I don't know. If Chip is so afraid with Bradford, I am more inclined to do it!

Look at how Tebow will get a bigger ovation in the second half than Bradford did at the start of the game. Go figure!
JeeQ
Agreed on Bailey... I'd prefer him over Maehl and Cooper at this point. Speaking of Cooper what a vagina... left the game with a thumb injury before catching a single pass

Ajirotutu can also start packing his bags
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 22 2015, 08:50 PM) *
"It's not a two minute warning for the Eagles offense. It's a two minute "just letting you know".

Brilliant. Give the kid a mike. smile.gif

BTW, the hit by Suggs was legal. If I were a DC, I would hit our QB every time he fakes the hand off. That was already ruled legal by the league last year. Why they don't do it I don't know. If Chip is so afraid with Bradford, I am more inclined to do it!
I thought it was a low hit.
Zero
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 22 2015, 09:08 PM) *
Ajirotutu can also start packing his bags

I believe he's here for ST
JeeQ
That backup kicker just saved Cody's job laugh.gif

QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 22 2015, 06:10 PM) *
I believe he's here for ST

Then he shall remain... for now
JeeQ
Another standing ovation for Tebow
JeeQ
Tebow threw that ball so high only Jesus could catch it

Kip Smith for Kicker Of The Year
nephillymike
2nd half observations:

Barkley - real good pace, good vision
Mostart - we can put him on our PS but he ain't staying there
Ajirotutu - shows me nothing
Bailey - did I say I love this kid?
Racitti - nice play from zone drop to sideline tackle for a NT. He was the only of ours UDFA I had draft worthy
Evans - 4th string now. I think he may not even be PS material. They say he's struggling.
Tebow - good straight ahead speed. Bad vision, bad reads.

Did you notice the new PAT penalty rules? If you are going for 2 from the 2 yd line and get called for a 10 yd. penalty, your options are going for 2 from the 12, or kicking a PAT from 44 yds out! Ouch

MIA - did anyone see any of these:
Hart
Austin
B. Jones
C. Prosinski

All in all, a a very impressive performance.

I don't know about yuse, but I want to go out to GB ad stick it up their ass. I remember last year and Rodgers laughing at us

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 22 2015, 10:46 PM) *
2nd half observations:

Barkley - real good pace, good vision

Seriously?

6-14?

He had tons of rime and made the short throws.....did not help his trade value if that is their plan...if it isn't he is useless.....we have no 3rd QB on the roster...
Phits
Bradford - taken out - pussy move by Chip - if you're scared, get a dog, otherwise put the damn QB in the game

It's the pre-season, Baltimore was taking shots, why risk the starting QB?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 23 2015, 12:55 AM) *

Because we have only one more game, next week, to rid our QB of any in game rust before the games count.

Ike Reese had a good point.

This hurry up offense puts a good deal of stress on the QB's stamina and he needs series to work on his endurance in running this offense. This is unlike other offenses.

Come Atlanta, you can't have Bradford getting tired.

He needs to be used to getting hit and keep running the O at a fast pace.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 23 2015, 12:55 AM) *

Because we have only one more game, next week, to rid our QB of any in game rust before the games count.

Ike Reese had a good point.

This hurry up offense puts a good deal of stress on the QB's stamina and he needs series to work on his endurance in running this offense. This is unlike other offenses.

Come Atlanta, you can't have Bradford getting tired.

He needs to be used to getting hit and keep running the O at a fast pace.
JeeQ
After reading Suggs comment's on the hit I can guarantee you every player is going right for Bradford's knees:

"When you run the read option, you have to know the rules," Suggs said, via The Baltimore Sun. "If you want to run the read option with your starting quarterback that's had two knee surgeries, that's on you. That's not my responsibility to update you on the rule."

Knew Bradford had two surgeries... went straight for the knees
Zero

Is this legal? Used to be fine, but didn't the rules change so they can't hit the QB low like that?
Now the questions becomes, will Suggs be fined or disciplined for the hit?

"I hope so," Peters said. "Because he hit him low and tried to hit him around his knees."
Here ...
Zero
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 23 2015, 07:41 AM) *

Might not want to open your mail on Tuesday T-sizzle-douchebag...
mcnabbulous
I don't know how anyone could suggest what Suggs did was legal.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2015, 10:22 AM) *

it was an illegal hit because it was below the knee

the tactic of blasting the QB on EVERY read-option play (whether he keeps or not) is legal and its gonna get Bradford killed if Chip runs a lot of it. DefCoords will let the RB go just to plant Bradford over and over
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2015, 09:22 AM) *

If you look at that one close up, his shoulder pad is the first contact and it hits above the knee.

The rule, made after the dirty Waters on Everett his was you can't hit a QB below the knees.

Also, the league made a ruling before last year that when a QB fakes a hand off, it is legal to hit the QB as the defender doesn't know if he has the ball or not.. If you remember at that time, I said that this was a threat to this offense.

That being said, he will get fined and what he did was not cool. This is a league that penalized the Eagles a few years back for a ring finger of our DE grazing P. Manning's helmet. I also would have high-lowed Suggs on the next play but that's just me.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2015, 09:22 AM) *

If you look at that one close up, his shoulder pad is the first contact and it hits above the knee.

The rule, made after the dirty Waters on Everett his was you can't hit a QB below the knees.

Also, the league made a ruling before last year that when a QB fakes a hand off, it is legal to hit the QB as the defender doesn't know if he has the ball or not.. If you remember at that time, I said that this was a threat to this offense.

That being said, he will get fined and what he did was not cool. This is a league that penalized the Eagles a few years back for a ring finger of our DE grazing P. Manning's helmet. I also would have high-lowed Suggs on the next play but that's just me.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 23 2015, 03:04 AM) *
Is this legal? Used to be fine, but didn't the rules change so they can't hit the QB low like that?
Here ...

Just looking at that picture makes me want to take a bat to the son of a bitch's knees... See how he likes that shit

He tried to end our season before it started and end Bradford's career
nephillymike
Talk about a scary picture!

If I posted a few days ago a picture from the future, given Bradford's expression, you would think he was done for the season.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 23 2015, 12:29 PM) *
Talk about a scary picture!

If I posted a few days ago a picture from the future, given Bradford's expression, you would think he was done for the season.

The best part of this is that Bradford's confidence in his knee has to have grown immensely after taking such a nasty hit. And the other hit, looks like it knocked the wind out of him, the fact that he just kept going at Kelly's offensive fast pace speaks volumes about toughness, not fragility.
nd9kel
^ Bingo. I'm glad Bradford had a shot like this, legal or not. Takes away any mindgames he's been having about taking a hit to the lower body.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 23 2015, 10:48 AM) *

I thought the same thing at the time....preseason game and you pull that shit going after a knee? Our O line should have set him up to be crushed......
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Aug 23 2015, 10:47 AM) *
it was an illegal hit because it was below the knee

correction...it was legal. apparently the rules say that a QB can be hit like a runner (above or below knee doesnt matter) until he is clearly out of the play

that split second of read-option flash doesnt protect the QB and so Suggs was absolutely correct that his hit was legal

LINK

read-option = open season on Bradford's knees. still worth running that play?
Eyrie
I've just re-watched the tackle.

At 44 seconds Bradford's hands are in front of his body where Suggs can clearly see they are empty. His defence would hold water only if Bradford's body was in the way, so Suggs should be fined.
mcnabbulous
It was illegally low. I don't know how this is up for debate. His hand is visibly on Bradford's knees.

The fact that it was intentionally low, by Suggs' own words, makes it not on illegal by the rules, but unethical. Which comes as no surprise from a scumball like Suggs.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 23 2015, 06:05 PM) *
I've just re-watched the tackle.

At 44 seconds Bradford's hands are in front of his body where Suggs can clearly see they are empty. His defence would hold water only if Bradford's body was in the way, so Suggs should be fined.

its not gonna be called illegal because a ref or the league thinks that maybe the rusher should have been able to see the QB didnt have the ball anymore.

Harbaugh did it to Kaepernick last year and even admits that its legal to hit the QB every time...ball or no ball

"Harbaugh readily acknowledged that his defense tried to hit Kaepernick every time he ran the zone-read, whether he kept the ball or handed it off to running back Frank Gore.

“How many times can you run that play?’’ Harbaugh said. “Because if you’re going to hit the quarterback every play, which is what our goal was to do, you’re putting him at risk.’’

LINK
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2015, 06:14 PM) *
It was illegally low. I don't know how this is up for debate. His hand is visibly on Bradford's knees.

The fact that it was intentionally low, by Suggs' own words, makes it not on illegal by the rules, but unethical. Which comes as no surprise from a scumball like Suggs.

see above...where he hits him (high/low) has no bearing on legality because your are allowed to treat the QB as a runner on a zone-read
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Aug 23 2015, 05:19 PM) *
see above...where he hits him (high/low) has no bearing on legality because your are allowed to treat the QB as a runner on a zone-read

Not if the ball is clearly out of his hands. It was. There was no split-second decision being made. Suggs deliberately tackled him after the ball was out. The fact that he went low was intentional and purposeful.

Blandino described it as being illegal: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-arou...rs-Jim-Harbaugh
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2015, 06:30 PM) *
Not if the ball is clearly out of his hands. It was. There was no split-second decision being made. Suggs deliberately tackled him after the ball was out. The fact that he went low was intentional and purposeful.

Blandino described it as being illegal: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-arou...rs-Jim-Harbaugh

gonna find out soon whether Blandino feels he was "clearly backing away" enough for Suggs to have seen it and be subject to fine

i agree it was no doubt an attempt to injure
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Aug 23 2015, 05:48 PM) *
gonna find out soon whether Blandino feels he was "clearly backing away" enough for Suggs to have seen it and be subject to fine

i agree it was no doubt an attempt to injure

Well the ref clearly thought so, and penalized Suggs appropriately. Hopefully Blandino does the right thing to send a message.
Zero
Suggs purposely went low for the knee. If this had been a regular season game where the outcome mattered it would have been bad enough. That it was a meaningless preseason game is telling. Also, the fact that Suggs kept talking about the twice repaired knee tells you it was on his mind. Suggs isn't a rookie fighting for a roster spot, he's a proven veteran who had little if anything to prove. He went for the knee unnecessarily and to all players in the league that should be a signal that he's a scum bag. I wouldn't be surprised to see his knees rolled sometime this season.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 23 2015, 06:52 PM) *
Suggs purposely went low for the knee. If this had been a regular season game where the outcome mattered it would have been bad enough. That it was a meaningless preseason game is telling. Also, the fact that Suggs kept talking about the twice repaired knee tells you it was on his mind. Suggs isn't a rookie fighting for a roster spot, he's a proven veteran who had little if anything to prove. He went for the knee unnecessarily and to all players in the league that should be a signal that he's a scum bag. I wouldn't be surprised to see his knees rolled sometime this season.

He would have been hi-lowed that series if I were Chip.

On a related note, if that hit was to the belt line, would you have a problem with it?

I don't know why a coach doesn't hit our QB every play early in the game on those option like hand offs.

It is legal to do so.

Doing so would go a long way to removing that option. Remember, it was BAL who did that to Kaepernick to good success a few years ago.

More importantly, can our running game work without the QB fakes?

If I were an opposing DC, I'd sure find out.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 23 2015, 07:03 PM) *

On a related note, if that hit was to the belt line, would you have a problem with it?

I don't know why a coach doesn't hit our QB every play early in the game on those option like hand offs.

It is legal to do so.

Doing so would go a long way to removing that option. Remember, it was BAL who did that to Kaepernick to good success a few years ago.

If I were an opposing DC, I'd sure find out.

It's not legal to do so unless it's a split second situation.

I would have been annoyed by Suggs hitting up high. I'm irate with him hitting Sam low.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 23 2015, 08:03 PM) *

That's the Cliff Lee in you, and I agree.

Does anyone seriously believe Bradford is a threat to run ... ever?
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2015, 08:09 PM) *
It's not legal to do so unless it's a split second situation.

therein lies the rub...

play to play? are you always sure that your QB will fulfill whatever 'minutiae' is required for an after game fine?

was it 'split second'?...was the hit a blip out of sync...player A gets a fine...player B was just inside the rules? can Bradford survive this kind of politics?

this kind of BS is what the NFL is trying to divorce itself from...there will be litigation. the DE arguing like Sgt Shultz..."I see NOTHING!!!"

it depends on what they say going forward...if suggs gets a fine? we may be ok. if Suggs gets off on 'interpretation?'...Bradford (and we) are sunk

and lastly...

Suggs is the bad guy, but why is harbaugh spotless? he admits to telling his players to smack the QB NO MATTER WHAT....Suggs is a pawn in a bigger scheme
mcnabbulous
Harbaugh has turned into a disappointing sack of shit.

Edit: but Suggs throws bleach on people. He doesn't need a coach to tell him to be an awful person. That's natural.
nephillymike
STL just nailed Mariota on a similar play (not at the knees)

It's a no brainer for me. I'd hit the QB every time and hit him hard. Not at the knees or head, but collarbone to quadraceps on every fake.

I am curious to know how much we need the read option to run the ball in this offense, especially when the keepers are likely to be rare.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 23 2015, 09:20 PM) *
STL just nailed Mariota on a similar play (not at the knees)

It's a no brainer for me. I'd hit the QB every time and hit him hard. Not at the knees or head, but collarbone to quadraceps on every fake.

I am curious to know how much we need the read option to run the ball in this offense, especially when the keepers are likely to be rare.

As I suspected, Chip says the play in question wasn't even read-option. So it was just a simple handoff from the shotgun.

Should every QB be allowed to get smashed on a handoff? It's a slippery slope, but the league needs to definitively address it.
nd9kel
IMHO in the regular season D's will be going for the tackle, not looking it off in order to get to a helpless QB.
mcnabbulous
I've been saying since Chip's first year...

The read-option is only so in name only. Even Vick rarely had the option to actually keep the ball. They are shotgun handoffs with an unblocked edge defender.

I would virtually guarantee that Sam didn't keep the ball once during our practice sessions with the Ravens and had no intention of doing so the other night. Fuck Harbaugh and Suggs.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 24 2015, 01:00 PM) *
I've been saying since Chip's first year...

The read-option is only so in name only. Even Vick rarely had the option to actually keep the ball. They are shotgun handoffs with an unblocked edge defender.

I would virtually guarantee that Sam didn't keep the ball once during our practice sessions with the Ravens and had no intention of doing so the other night. Fuck Harbaugh and Suggs.

I would imagine that any running play where the QB keeps his hands on the ball while in the gut of the RB longer than a straight hand off while looking at the DL, will be deemed to be an option play and it will be dog pile on the QB season.

This is different than play action where the QB's back is turned away from the DL, who can then pull the ball out, AND it is different than a normal straight hand off in shot gun while facing the DL when the ball is given to the RB and the QB's hands immediately removed.

I'll see if I can find a replay of the hit to see what I see.
nephillymike

dupe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.