Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Earl Wolff Has Been Waived
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
The Eagles have waived injured safety Earl Wolff, an NFL source said.

Wolff's release was first reported by Birds 24/7.

Wolff hasn't been present for the last three practices and has missed the last week because of what he called knee soreness. Eagles coach Chip Kelly said that Wolff was visiting with doctors this week.

The third-year safety was active for the first two weeks of training camp after sitting out all of spring workouts, but he suffered a recent setback. Wolff underwent season-ending knee surgery last November. Kelly, though, said he had been cleared by doctors in the spring.

"I hope Earl is healthy and is in that mix, but you never know," Kelly said on Thursday. "That's the hard part of this league. We've talked about it a lot of times. The injury rate in this league is 100%. It's unfortunate and frustrating for Earl. But we just evaluate what's out there."

The Eagles were expecting Wolff to compete for a starting spot this offseason, but when spring workouts started they moved cornerback Walter Thurmond to starting safety with Malcolm Jenkins. The third safety spot remains up for grabs with Chris Maragos, Chris Prosinski, Ed Reynolds and Jerome Couplin as the main candidates. The Eagles will likely add another safety to fill Wolff's spot.

The Eagles drafted Wolff in the fifth round of the 2013 draft. He started six games as a rookie and one last year, but was held back by his knee as early as late 2013.

The designation of waived/injured allows the Eagles to retain Wolff if he clears waivers, unless there was an agreed upon injury settlement.
Zero
As a rookie he said that he wanted to model his game after Dawk. I think that was the last time I liked him.
nephillymike
Interesting side note.

He gets waived the other day from the team and THEN has surgery on the knee again.

It sounds like he went against the team docs advice and with another doc's advice and decided to have more surgery.

Not sure how that works with workers comp and the NFL.

I know in real companies in PA, ee's have to abide by a company's w/c treatment for so many days and after that, they can seek their own treatment. I think it is 90 days or so until they can go out on their own.

I've had the unfortunate situation of a company w/c doc saying a guy is good enough to come back to work, only to have the guy stall past the deadline and go out on his own doc's who of course say that the guy can't work and then gets a nice "settlement".

I'm wondering if that is what's going on here. NFL gets a lot of special treatment. Not sure if relief from real life W/C law is one of those areas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.