Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The reason real Iggle fans hate Tim TeBlow...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
... well one of them anyway . . .

So, I'm watching NFL Total Access on the NFL net, and they do a segment featuring "the best play from each of week 1's preseason games."

For ours, guess what play they featured as "the best."

Was it the rookie's turning an errant throw into a 34 yard untouched TD?

No.

Was it KB's 2nd-longest-in-franchise-history punt return at the end of the half?

No.

It was Teblow's garbage time TD run.

laugh.gif
nephillymike
There are three reasons people do not like Tebow:

1. Because they hate when a player gets more attention than his talent deserves, for whatever reason (example, F. Mitchell, T. Tebow)

2. Because they don't think he is good enough to be an NFL QB in any capacity.

3. Because they hate the religion aspect. All things being equal, many fans of sport are more than willing to support the ex criminal, dad of five baby mammas than a guy who professes love of his religion in a public fashion. More people will turn in DJax reality show than listen to Tebow in a religious setting.

For me, it is #1.
While I think #2 is also true, if he improves and beats out Barkley and earns the #3 Qb spot that would be fine, BUT, we'll still be at #1 all over again.

I would prefer to avoid the distraction.

That being said, I would be happy to have Tebow as our 3rd QB if I knew #1 would not be an issue. He's a model citizen and he's the type of athlete character the kids would be better off listening to. I am very much against the thug idolotry that sports promotes in our society.

We need more Dawk's and Troy's of the world and a lot less Fredex and Dez's.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 18 2015, 08:16 AM) *

1. Because they hate when a player gets more attention than his talent deserves, for whatever reason (example, F. Mitchell, T. Tebow)

3. Because they hate the religion aspect. All things being equal, many fans of sport are more than willing to support the ex criminal, dad of five baby mammas than a guy who professes love of his religion in a public fashion. More people will turn in DJax reality show than listen to Tebow in a religious setting.

For me, it is #1.
While I think #2 is also true, if he improves and beats out Barkley and earns the #3 Qb spot that would be fine, BUT, we'll still be at #1 all over again.

That being said, I would be happy to have Tebow as our 3rd QB if I knew #1 would not be an issue. He's a model citizen and he's the type of athlete character the kids would be better off listening to. I am very much against the thug idolotry that sports promotes in our society.

Agreed on both your analysis and conclusions. That said, #3 bothers me. I don't ever remember the guy preaching in a football forum so what difference does his religion make? If he can't play, get rid of him. If he gets unwarranted attention, ignore it. It's the reason he gets the attention that's troublesome. The rest of this train of thought belongs in G&G.
D Rock
The only reason #1 is an issue is because of #3.

Nobody hates on Kurt Warner and he was every bit as much into imaginary friends. Difference was, Kurt could play.

mcnabbulous
I don't hate Tim Tebow. I hate his fans. They give the guy a bad name.

He seems like a solid dude that works hard. He's just not an NFL QB.
xsv
This is much the way I feel.

The main differences are that, first of all, I don't "hate" him. Way, way way too strong a word.

Second, if he was our starting QB, and played as well as even an average QB, then I'd have no problem with him getting more attention than his talent deserves..

For me, it is #1.

SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 18 2015, 11:11 AM) *

Bingo. Which makes me shake my head wondering why Chip even brought him onboard.
Phits
"Comeback" players always get more attention than they deserve. Networks are simply taking advantage of a large fan base.

I don't like or dislike him (or his fans). I am rather indifferent.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 18 2015, 12:33 AM) *
... well one of them anyway . . .

So, I'm watching NFL Total Access on the NFL net, and they do a segment featuring "the best play from each of week 1's preseason games."

For ours, guess what play they featured as "the best."

Was it the rookie's turning an errant throw into a 34 yard untouched TD?

No.

Was it KB's 2nd-longest-in-franchise-history punt return at the end of the half?

No.

It was Teblow's garbage time TD run.

laugh.gif

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 18 2015, 11:58 AM) *
"Comeback" players always get more attention than they deserve. Networks are simply taking advantage of a large fan base.

I don't like or dislike him (or his fans). I am rather indifferent.

that hits the nail on the head....who cares who the 3rd QB is?

If we get that far we are done anyway and likely they would bring in a guy off the street to supplant either Barkley of Tebow....I would have preferred a draft pick to replace Barkley but I could careless about him or Tebow. tebow is interesting only from the aspect that he can run the ball and regardless of whether some folks here thinks he looks slow he isn't...he is big and fast for his size but his running style is not like a gazelle...

He is a novelty...nothing more.....only a fool would think he a potentially good QB but I don't think that he is here to be a starting QB....my guess...and it is only that...is that he is here to be a gadget player who can step in at QB for a quarter here or there should the need arise.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Aug 18 2015, 10:52 AM) *
Bingo. Which makes me shake my head wondering why Chip even brought him onboard.

Because I don't think Chip brought him in to be a QB. He brought him in to be a football player. Chip knows that if you're using your 3rd string QB, you don't really have much of an NFL team anyways.

Birdman420
I'll be the first to say that #3 is my reason, As I am agnostic it bothers me when any public figure is thrust into the limelight because of his religion... And lets be honest his religion is a huge reason why he has such a rabid fan base which is in turn why he gets the medias attention.

Was any of this his fault? No... He's a good guy who believes in what makes him happy and I respect him for that. Just try not to point up at god after your touchdown as if he had any part in it. He plays the game to the best of his ability and hopefully for him that is enough to secure a spot on a team- If not I won't miss his fanclub in the least.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 18 2015, 02:04 PM) *
Because I don't think Chip brought him in to be a QB. He brought him in to be a football player. Chip knows that if you're using your 3rd string QB, you don't really have much of an NFL team anyways.

exactly
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Aug 18 2015, 02:05 PM) *
I'll be the first to say that #3 is my reason, As I am agnostic it bothers me when any public figure is thrust into the limelight because of his religion... And lets be honest his religion is a huge reason why he has such a rabid fan base which is in turn why he gets the medias attention.

Was any of this his fault? No... He's a good guy who believes in what makes him happy and I respect him for that. Just try not to point up at god after your touchdown as if he had any part in it. He plays the game to the best of his ability and hopefully for him that is enough to secure a spot on a team- If not I won't miss his fanclub in the least.

One problem with that is countless players do that when they score......watch any game and lots of guys make the sign of the cross and point to the sky....it beats making gang signs....lol

What I don't get is why it offends anyone? if you don't believe what they believe that is fine but why let it bug you?

Tebow is certainly a victim of a group of vocal fans that have made him their standard bearer....but he may also realize that as such they can make him a lot of loot......for a subpar NFL player he gets more chances than someone of his skill set would ever have a chance to get simply because of his following.....look at how many of his jerseys have been sold already...
Eyrie
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Aug 18 2015, 07:05 PM) *

As an atheist I'd say you're very much in a minority there.

I find the idea that an all-powerful god has any interest in the outcome of a football game hard to stomach when there are so many genuine problems in the world, so I always shake my head when a football player praises their particular god for helping them make a play. I don't though dislike the player for holding that belief - I'll dislike him for a proper reason such as playing for the Cowboys/NJ VaGiants/Racially Insensitives.

In the case of Tebow I don't dislike him on a personal basis, but I do regard him as over-hyped and under-talented player who isn't good enough to play for the Eagles.
Christian_Cat
I don't get how people can say that Kurt Warner didn't catch criticism for his beliefs just because he could play. First of all Kurt was no where near as vocal throughout his career as Tebow was with his religious beliefs. In the few times Warner was extremely vocal with his beliefs he was ridiculed for it. I will link the articles for you.

http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/53130...up-and-shot.htm

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/n...d-for-thoughts/

http://sports.politicususa.com/2014/11/09/...tv-segment.html
xsv
QUOTE (Christian_Cat @ Aug 18 2015, 02:47 PM) *
I don't get how people can say that Kurt Warner did catch criticism for his beliefs just because he could play. First of all Kurt was no where near as vocal throughout his career as Tebow was with his religious beliefs. In the few times Warner was extremely vocal with his beliefs he was ridiculed for it. I will link the articles for you.

Everyone gets criticism. It's part of life, especially as a current or former QB. He's not the only one to get a lot of criticism. McNabb gets criticism, jaws gets criticism, etc.
mcnabbulous
If you have anti-evolution opinions, you shouldn't get criticized. You should be thrown into the ocean.
Pila
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 18 2015, 07:46 PM) *
As an atheist I'd say you're very much in a minority there.

I find the idea that an all-powerful god has any interest in the outcome of a football game hard to stomach when there are so many genuine problems in the world, so I always shake my head when a football player praises their particular god for helping them make a play. I don't though dislike the player for holding that belief - I'll dislike him for a proper reason such as playing for the Cowboys/NJ VaGiants/Racially Insensitives.

In the case of Tebow I don't dislike him on a personal basis, but I do regard him as over-hyped and under-talented player who isn't good enough to play for the Eagles.

In my case, I'm not particularly bothered by any silly, gestured ritual, like soccer players entering and exiting the pitch with a quick sign of the cross and a kiss.

I'm also not bothered by Teblow as a person in the least, albeit I wish he took his QB skill set to the Gintz with the hope he's be forced into action for them.

About the only thing I find insufferable in relation to Teblow is the circus of dim-witted fools he attracts. We're then forced to tolerate these pretentious, intellectual lepers masquerading themselves as sports fans.

Every time I read a Christian Cat post... or even worse - one belonging to that American Chumpian character, I briefly fantasize about giving them each a wedgie. I know that's terrible, and I spite them for bringing out the worst in me.
Pila
QUOTE (Christian_Cat @ Aug 18 2015, 07:47 PM) *
I don't get how people can say that Kurt Warner didn't catch criticism for his beliefs just because he could play. First of all Kurt was no where near as vocal throughout his career as Tebow was with his religious beliefs. In the few times Warner was extremely vocal with his beliefs he was ridiculed for it. I will link the articles for you.

If I had hot iron rods right now, I'd have burned my eyes off.
JeeQ
The media would rather us play Tebow and lose every game, then play Bradford and win every game
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 18 2015, 07:57 PM) *
If you have anti-evolution opinions, you shouldn't get criticized. You should be thrown into the ocean.

No point - they'd just walk back to dry land like their ancestors did in the Carboniferous.

People are entitled to their beliefs, and people are entitled to challenge beliefs which contradict the evidence.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 18 2015, 02:57 PM) *

Does this include the scientists that dispute the theory of evolution?

Many scientists do have reservations about the theory of evolution. It is but one explanation used to explain the origin and development of the universe, life, and species; however, it lacks supportive evidence for several of its critical claims like spontaneous generation and biological relationship between major groups of life. The intelligent design movement among scientists is evidence that evolution claims are not indisputable, unambiguous, and compelling.

Intelligent design (ID) is the pseudoscientific view that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.
american_champion_reborn
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 18 2015, 02:13 PM) *
The media would rather us play Tebow and lose every game, then play Bradford and win every game

Lol.. Idiot.. The liberal Godless media would rather see Donald Trump as President than they would see Tim TeBow succeed.. The media has done everything in their power to hinder and sabotage Tim's career and life.. They should all be ashamed of themselves..

The real 'fake' fans are those who pick and choose which Eagles they support.. We should all be on board a Super Bowl run together..

You were all true Eagles fans at one point, remember? Pretentious, but happy.. Ignorant, but charming.. Now, you're just a bunch of tiny, bitter cocksuckers..

D Rock
QUOTE (american_champion_reborn @ Aug 18 2015, 10:17 PM) *
you're just a bunch of tiny, bitter cocksuckers..

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Project much?

Your words and actions make jebus cry.

D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 18 2015, 09:41 PM) *
No point - they'd just walk back to dry land like their ancestors did in the Carboniferous.

People are entitled to their beliefs, and people are entitled to challenge beliefs which contradict the evidence.

Sure. Believe in the flying spaghetti monster if you like.

Me? I worship a head of lettuce named Ralph. He's the best.

bowdown.gif

But are you ok with teaching adam and eve in school as the factual manner in which we all arrived here?

When individual's personal beliefs start to pollute public policy, there is where the problems start. This country was founded to get away from that horse shit.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 18 2015, 05:09 PM) *
Does this include the scientists that dispute the theory of evolution?

Yes.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 18 2015, 06:28 PM) *
But are you ok with teaching adam and eve in school as the factual manner in which we all arrived here?

It would probably be more productive to teach facts. However, since there isn't hard evidence to validate (any of) the many theories that exist....you really have to pick your poison.
Zero
QUOTE (american_champion_reborn @ Aug 18 2015, 06:17 PM) *
Lol.. Idiot.. The liberal Godless media would rather see Donald Trump as President than they would see Tim TeBow succeed.. The media has done everything in their power to hinder and sabotage Tim's career and life.. They should all be ashamed of themselves..

The real 'fake' fans are those who pick and choose which Eagles they support.. We should all be on board a Super Bowl run together..

You were all true Eagles fans at one point, remember? Pretentious, but happy.. Ignorant, but charming.. Now, you're just a bunch of tiny, bitter cocksuckers..

With all of your pretense at Christian piety, you sure are a hypocrite.
JeeQ
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 18 2015, 03:25 PM) *

Project much?

Your words and actions make jebus cry.

He lost me after he used the words Super Bowl in conjunction with Tim Tebow in a serious manner
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 18 2015, 06:18 PM) *
However, since there isn't hard evidence to validate (any of) the many theories that exist....you really have to pick your poison.

You do know how scientific theory works, right?
Christian_Cat
Guys and gals I just want you to know that NOT all Tebow fans are like American Champion. His behavior is very much in line with trolling. As you can tell with his posts. That poster makes Tebow fans look bad and Christians look bad. If you all check he was banned from patsfans for the same kind of trollish behavior. On patsfans it says banned next to American Champion's user name. I am still a member of Patsfans, but American Champion was banned with a few weeks of signing up on that site. With that said there are a few posters on this site who have trollish behavior as well, but they'll remain nameless. Anyways carry on with the discussion.

Nothing wrong with being a fan of Tim Tebow, Britney Spears, Catilyn Jenner, or whoever you're a fan of. It's American Champion's outrageous exaggerations regarding Tebow, the the language he uses in his posts, and numerous other things.
mcnabbulous
Bro, no one thinks all Tebow fans are alike. We are all beautiful snowflakes. Other than American Champion. He's a pile of snow that a dog shit on.
Joegrane
Well said.

For me, it is #1.

Joegrane
Probably because...

He is not fond of Barkley's character and/or leadership.

He is desperate for someone to run "his" offense.

Tebow with new mechanics has more upside than Barkley.

Tebow is a "high character" guy with "winning" pedigree that Chip likes in his team leaders.

It gives Chip another option in very short yardage situations instead of Chicken Legs--too often broken ones.

D coordinators have to prepare for Wildcat plays.

QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Aug 18 2015, 11:52 AM) *

Reality Fan
Can someone move this to G&G?

Not sure which side sounds more ignorant at this point....

it is like a bunch of ten year olds.....if they were all in the same room my guess is they would all keep their mouths shut but since they are a crowd of internet loudmouths can this be done in G&G?
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 18 2015, 09:03 PM) *
You do know how scientific theory works, right?

Do you mean like how science once "theorized" that the world was flat? or that the earth was the centre of the solar system?

There is a reason Evolution is still a theory and not a "law". There have been numerous pieces that are widely recognized as evidence, but, there is no scientific conclusion.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 18 2015, 10:26 PM) *
Do you mean like how science once "theorized" that the world was flat? or that the earth was the centre of the solar system?

There is a reason Evolution is still a theory and not a "law". There have been numerous pieces that are widely recognized as evidence, but, there is no scientific conclusion.

Okay, so you don't know how scientific theory works.

Evolution will never be a law. It doesn't work like that. And a theory, within the confines of science, isn't a hunch. In fact, theory holds more scientific weight than a law.

For instance, it is called the "Theory of Gravity" not the "Law of Gravity" because those are two different things. The theory is explaining the concept, based on the evidence. You can test it yourself!

In the case of evolution, it has been poked and prodded (probably) more so than any other and has not yet been disproven. The theory of evolution is a well supported and well documented explanation of observations and facts. It will never change status to a law, regardless any additional evidence to further solidify its reality.

To be clear, there was never a scientific theory that the earth was flat. Even if you put quotes around the word theory.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 18 2015, 10:25 PM) *
Can someone move this to G&G?

Not sure which side sounds more ignorant at this point....

it is like a bunch of ten year olds.....if they were all in the same room my guess is they would all keep their mouths shut but since they are a crowd of internet loudmouths can this be done in G&G?

Outside of the resident racist being his same ignorant self, the rest of the conversation is relatively civil. That guy should be banned, which was clear the first time he posted here.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 19 2015, 12:10 AM) *
Outside of the resident racist being his same ignorant self, the rest of the conversation is relatively civil. That guy should be banned, which was clear the first time he posted here.

Seriously?

There are so many insults from both sides it is ridiculous.......

I would love for everyone to be in the same room and see who actually opens their mouth....that being impossible it is really gotten out of hand here....one side loves to initiate annoying discourse and the other side is intolerant and insulting...both sides say things that would probably get their teeth knocked out in person if they had the stones to say them...it should be relegated to the G&G......it really hurts this site anymore....both sides are ridiculously antagonistic..

Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 19 2015, 12:39 AM) *
Seriously?

There are so many insults from both sides it is ridiculous.......

I would love for everyone to be in the same room and see who actually opens their mouth....that being impossible it is really gotten out of hand here....one side loves to initiate annoying discourse and the other side is intolerant and insulting...both sides say things that would probably get their teeth knocked out in person if they had the stones to say them...it should be relegated to the G&G......it really hurts this site anymore....both sides are ridiculously antagonistic..
Yep, it sure gets that way fast. Not hard to see why the world is such a mess.
mcnabbulous
I really don't see anything too offensive in this thread. With the exception of the one poster who should have been banned long ago.

The rest of it is pretty tame.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.