Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good report on Marcus Smith
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Speaking of [Dennis] Kelly, he was on the wrong end of a battle with Marcus Smith today.

Jimmy Kempski @JimmyKempski
Marcus Smith just put Dennis Kelly on roller skates, and then his back in pass rush drills. Follows it up with celebration dance.

Later during team drills, Smith blows up a run play, bursting into the backfield to corral Kenjon Barner before the back even had a chance to make a move. "Good job, Marcus!" a group of teammates yelled from the sideline. Pretty good day for the second-year linebacker.
Linc ...

Be nice if this guy isn't the bust we thought he was.
mcnabbulous
Clueless how this guy will turn out, but it's silly to write off a guy after his rookie year.

I understand not liking a draft pick for a number of reasons, but this guy measured up. He's raw, but his athleticism gives him a very good shot to succeed, assuming he has the mentality for it. That's obviously the big question mark at this point.

I think he's going to have a Carlos Emmons type impact for us, though.
Eyrie
I'd settle for him reaching Emmons level of play but we need impact from the OLBs.

However after his non-involvement last year it's entirely fair to be concerned. It's not like he missed 2014 through injury or the guys ahead of him all playing lights out, he simply didn't feature.
JeeQ
This should hopefully be his Brandon Graham season
D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 12 2015, 07:08 PM) *
I'd settle for him reaching Emmons level of play but we need impact from the OLBs.

However after his non-involvement last year it's entirely fair to be concerned. It's not like he missed 2014 through injury or the guys ahead of him all playing lights out, he simply didn't feature.

Emmons was an impact OLB for us, albeit in a 4/3 SLB role.

As for your 2nd sentiment, he was buried behind Cole, Barwin, and Graham. It's not like we had garbage in front of him.
mcnabbulous
BTW, Emmons had like 7 career tackles through his first 2 seasons in the NFL.
Eyrie
I don't recall Emmons as being an impact player so much as a very solid and reliable LB who shut down opposing TEs.

As regards Smith, he only played eight games and averaged eight snaps in each. The guys ahead of him were good but their play wasn't why Smith didn't dress twice and never saw the field on another six occasions, including our final three games. That was down to his struggles last season and we need him to step up now that he is our main depth at OLB.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 12 2015, 11:09 AM) *
Clueless how this guy will turn out, but it's silly to write off a guy after his rookie year.

I understand not liking a draft pick for a number of reasons, but this guy measured up. He's raw, but his athleticism gives him a very good shot to succeed, assuming he has the mentality for it. That's obviously the big question mark at this point.

He measured up to a third round pick!

That being said, it would be nice to see him come long and at least give us what Long would have. They say he's a good kid who puts in the time. But Ike says he needs some bite in the dog. Gotta go out and hit someone.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 12 2015, 11:09 AM) *

That being said, it would be nice to see him come long and at least give us what Long would have. They say he's a good kid who puts in the time. But Ike says he needs some bite in the dog. Gotta go out and hit someone.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 12 2015, 06:50 PM) *

No no. He measured up to a first round pick. That's the reality.

I agree that he needs to show the toughness and intensity to make it in the league. The physical part is a no doubter though.
D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 12 2015, 11:13 PM) *
I don't recall Emmons as being an impact player so much as a very solid and reliable LB who shut down opposing TEs.

As regards Smith, he only played eight games and averaged eight snaps in each. The guys ahead of him were good but their play wasn't why Smith didn't dress twice and never saw the field on another six occasions, including our final three games. That was down to his struggles last season and we need him to step up now that he is our main depth at OLB.

Emmons was a monster for us. Andy never was able to replace him with an even serviceable SLB. He was the best OLB we had until Barwin came along in Chips first year.
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 13 2015, 04:30 AM) *
Emmons was a monster for us. Andy never was able to replace him with an even serviceable SLB. He was the best OLB we had until Barwin came along in Chips first year.

Emmons was a very effective player for us, but much of what he did was the dirty work of shutting opponents down that you only noticed on the replays.

We struggled for LBs under Reid, possibly because Johnson's scheme placed a premium on CBs and DEs so something had to give. That doesn't excuse non-events like Caver or Gocong however.
D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 13 2015, 07:17 PM) *
Emmons was a very effective player for us, but much of what he did was the dirty work of shutting opponents down that you only noticed on the replays.

We struggled for LBs under Reid, possibly because Johnson's scheme placed a premium on CBs and DEs so something had to give. That doesn't excuse non-events like Caver or Gocong however.

Exactly my point. Emmons was a stud. Totally shut down other team's TE. We struggled to fill his shoes for 10 years after his departure.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.