Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: poor Evan Mathis
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Reality Fan
I wonder if he gets to collect whatever money he has lost from Drew?

He is so good and the Eagles need him so badly but yet he is still unsigned.......how can that be?......surely, with all the worry of some here about the loss of our superstar OG and the need that exists for one in the NFL one of the other 31 teams would have snatched him up......

and yes...I am being sarcastic.......just goes to show that he screwed up very badly......

I guess his only hope is that a starting OG gets hurt or Miami can find some cash...
mcnabbulous
BUT HE'S A PRO BOWL GUARD!
nephillymike
Not looking good for him as of now.

But going into it, I thought his two most marketable times between the date he was cut and the beginning of the season was the day he got cut and the last two weeks of the preseason. The first bench mark didn't bring a deal to his liking. We'll see what the bench mark will bring.

Remember, for it to be a good move for the Eagles, Mathis needs to lose a lot of money AND the Eagles need to do fine without him. The first part looks like a decent possibility, but judging by the four stooges who are competing for that OG spot, the second part doesn't look all that promising.
mcnabbulous
I think the Mathis situation is more similar to the Boykin situation than you're realizing. Money was a factor, but if Mathis was a more physical player, I think he'd still be here at that price. His style doesn't support the type of offense Chip wants to run.
nephillymike
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/...-top-to-bottom/

I can't find it, but Mathis was ranked #2 OG vs the run. Here in this list you see he is in the 50's in top 100 NFL players.

I wish I had more players who run blocked as well as Mathis.

I know, system trumps talent.

We'll see.
mcnabbulous
PFF's standards for quality run blocking are likely different from Chip's.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 10 2015, 08:16 PM) *
PFF's standards for quality run blocking are likely different from Chip's.

True.

But you can see that McCoy ain't top 100 which jives with your thinking, and Peters is rated very high as is cox and the top ten 20 look in sync.

The list is legit IMO.
mcnabbulous
This (and the Boykin situation) kind of reminds me of the old Tony Hunt vs. Lorenzo Booker argument. Ultimately, when Chip is deciding between two players, he is keeping the more physical guy.

This differs dramatically from Andy, who built a culture of softness here. I hated Andy's policy. I like Chip's.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 10 2015, 08:12 PM) *
Not looking good for him as of now.

But going into it, I thought his two most marketable times between the date he was cut and the beginning of the season was the day he got cut and the last two weeks of the preseason. The first bench mark didn't bring a deal to his liking. We'll see what the bench mark will bring.

Remember, for it to be a good move for the Eagles, Mathis needs to lose a lot of money AND the Eagles need to do fine without him. The first part looks like a decent possibility, but judging by the four stooges who are competing for that OG spot, the second part doesn't look all that promising.

I think it is clear that Kelly looked at the money Mathis made combined with the tape of how they did without him for 8 games last year and figured he could do without the headaches of Mathis carping about his contract, save 5 million and move on....

Mathis has to wait for someone to get hurt....take less money...and find a new agent...

The reality of it is that while Mathis was good, his position is one of the least talented positions on the field.....it is a spot that can be filled at or close to the same caliber by many linemen when you have 2 top players flanking you.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 10 2015, 09:58 PM) *
I think it is clear that Kelly looked at the money Mathis made combined with the tape of how they did without him for 8 games last year and figured he could do without the headaches of Mathis carping about his contract, save 5 million and move on....

Mathis has to wait for someone to get hurt....take less money...and find a new agent...

The reality of it is that while Mathis was good, his position is one of the least talented positions on the field.....it is a spot that can be filled at or close to the same caliber by many linemen when you have 2 top players flanking you.

And if Johnson is coming along as good as they say, the RG will have two very good people flanking him, so they should be fine on both the right and left OG spots, right?

I think starting OG's are a premium in our ground and pound - one cut running game we're using this year. Not so much for Andy, but REAL important for Chip. The fact is that Barbre, Tobin and Gardner did not play well when given the chance last year. I know Barbre got hurt early on but he was brutal in preseason. Adding thrice cut Vanderwelde and a guy from rehab does not give me much reassurance.

We'll see how it plays out. If all else fails, at least those in the Eagles MIB program will get a larger payout because of the salary saved. I'm sure you and I can have a few drinks with our cut, eh, to help salve the wounds?

If anything good comes of this, is that people see Rosenass for the shit bag he really is.

BTW, today is the 10th anniversary of the TO situps in the driveway and the "Next Question" presser was ten years tomorrow I think.

You know, they finally sold TO's house like three years ago!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 10 2015, 11:17 PM) *
And if Johnson is coming along as good as they say, the RG will have two very good people flanking him, so they should be fine on both the right and left OG spots, right?

I think starting OG's are a premium in our ground and pound - one cut running game we're using this year. Not so much for Andy, but REAL important for Chip. The fact is that Barbre, Tobin and Gardner did not play well when given the chance last year. I know Barbre got hurt early on but he was brutal in preseason. Adding thrice cut Vanderwelde and a guy from rehab does not give me much reassurance.

We'll see how it plays out. If all else fails, at least those in the Eagles MIB program will get a larger payout because of the salary saved. I'm sure you and I can have a few drinks with our cut, eh, to help salve the wounds?

If anything good comes of this, is that people see Rosenass for the shit bag he really is.

BTW, today is the 10th anniversary of the TO situps in the driveway and the "Next Question" presser was ten years tomorrow I think.

You know, they finally sold TO's house like three years ago!!

I have to disagree with you on Gardner and Tobin. While they were not studs (like Mathis the journeyman until he came to the Eagles) they warmed up quickly and were certainly serviceable. it would be expected that they improve, like Mathis did, with more playing time. People forget that Mathis was just another guy until he latched on with the Eagles.

You, of the dark cloud group, see the downside and ignore the facts of the NFL...there is always another guy.....when it comes to guards...
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 10 2015, 11:17 PM) *
Adding thrice cut Vanderwelde and a guy from rehab does not give me much reassurance.

Seth Joyner was cut. Didn't both Barbre and Tobin have high ankle sprains early last year? Kinda tough to block NFL DL with that. Seeing as we can't do anything but sign Mofit, let's wait and see how they do in games.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.