Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shepard out of the year
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Unfortunate. he was showing some promise. This might open the door for rookie Denzel Rice, who has also been impressing so far in camp.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/8/...uffers-acl-tear
mcnabbulous
Total bummer for this guy. Dropped in the draft due to injury. Then loses out on a season because of one. Hopefully it's just a bump in the road for him, but it's not great for his long-term prospects.
Eyrie
Disappointing news for him and us. Apparently he was the front runner to replace Boykin as the nickel.
JeeQ
Brandon Boykin must be laughing his fucking ass off laugh.gif

"How's that CB depth treating you now Chip?"
mcnabbulous
Not sure it really matters with regards to Boykin. He apparently couldn't do what they want to be able to do on defense.

While his talent may be superior to some of the alternatives, his style of play was prohibitive to the scheme we are trying to implement.
Zero
The question is, is this a SB year or a building year? If SB is realistic then keep players like Boykin, Mathis and even overspend to keep Maclin. If next year is the realistic target then there's logic to getting the younger guys ready and acclimated to the systems and the other players.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 10 2015, 04:16 PM) *
The question is, is this a SB year or a building year?
There is no question. This isn't retooling or a partial rebuild. This is a complete overhaul from top to bottom.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 10 2015, 03:16 PM) *
The question is, is this a SB year or a building year? If SB is realistic then keep players like Boykin, Mathis and even overspend to keep Maclin. If next year is the realistic target then there's logic to getting the younger guys ready and acclimated to the systems and the other players.

This is obviously a transition year for you guys. Playoffs aren't out of the picture because you started off with a good team to begin with, but anything 8-8 or above should be considered a victory and good step toward next year.
mcnabbulous
We are winning 12 games this year. Whether you consider that a SB team or not is up to you.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 10 2015, 03:16 PM) *

anything less than a playoff win is unacceptable.

No playoffs is totally unacceptable.

This ain't year one, it's year three.

They weren't going to give Boykin a shot to start on the outside. They feared giving him a shot as it could prove the size thing faulty. So from Chip's point of view, he wasn't worth much and he jumped at the 5th rounder. Just like I said with Mathis, I think Boykin's value would be highest with two weeks or so left in the preseason. Surely, you would think they would think differently if they knew of Shepard's misfortune. However, that won't make Boykin grow any. While we care now in hindsight, my guess is he was worthless in Chip's world and he would still do the deal even after the injury.

Shame for the kid though. Tough break and rookie year injuries tend to really set the kids back.
mcnabbulous
They're not trying to prove the size thing as anything other than the style they want to play. They want to be more physical and play more press coverage. Boykin doesn't thrive in that style.

You can argue the merits of fitting players to a scheme or vice verse, but Chip clearly has a vision for the type of team we are putting on the field and Boykin's style didn't match it.
Joegrane
Thurmond is and has been the slot corner. They will stay in base D more often rather than go to nickel. That's why Boykin was expendable. Maybe more accurately Thurmond was brought in to make Boykin expendable!

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 10 2015, 03:59 PM) *
Brandon Boykin must be laughing his fucking ass off laugh.gif

"How's that CB depth treating you now Chip?"

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 10 2015, 08:39 PM) *
anything less than a playoff win is unacceptable.

No playoffs is totally unacceptable.

This ain't year one, it's year three.

They weren't going to give Boykin a shot to start on the outside. They feared giving him a shot as it could prove the size thing faulty. So from Chip's point of view, he wasn't worth much and he jumped at the 5th rounder. Just like I said with Mathis, I think Boykin's value would be highest with two weeks or so left in the preseason. Surely, you would think they would think differently if they knew of Shepard's misfortune. However, that won't make Boykin grow any. While we care now in hindsight, my guess is he was worthless in Chip's world and he would still do the deal even after the injury.

Shame for the kid though. Tough break and rookie year injuries tend to really set the kids back.

I have to ask....with your penchant for conspiracy theories....as evidenced by the bolded line above...explain Boykins drop off in production last year.....
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 11 2015, 12:35 AM) *
I have to ask....with your penchant for conspiracy theories....as evidenced by the bolded line above...explain Boykins drop off in production last year.....

Shepard was a sixth round pick, its not like they don't have other options, including a second round pick in Rowe...again, the sky is not falling Mike...chill, you will live longer.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 10 2015, 11:35 PM) *

I don't know about his drop off but they say he graded out as the 21st best CB in '14 and the best Eagles CB in coverage, EVEN WHEN HE LINED UP ON THE OUTSIDE.

Maybe those web sites like football outsiders and pro football focus don't know anything. I try to use "independent sources", but they just don't give me the right answer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.