Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A concerning quote from R. Frank re: CB's
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Rube said yesterday that Rowe is doing OK and learning a lot and bounces back after getting beat, but that Nolan Carroll is far ahead of him right now for the #2 CB battle.

I'm a little concerned that a CB not deemed good enough by our coaching staff last year to replace either of the two worst starting CB's in the league during our time of need is now far ahead of the guy we drafted to fill that spot.

Carroll has been around since 2010 so it would seem unlikely that he hit a learning curve in year six of his career.

FWIW, I thought they should have played him and/or Boykin ahead of those two clowns last year, but our coaches kept telling us how good our CB's were.

Here's hoping that either or coaches were clueless last year or Carroll has really improved by leaps and bounds this year and we really do have a significant upgrade at #2 CB.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 9 2015, 09:25 AM) *
Rube said yesterday that Rowe is doing OK and learning a lot and bounces back after getting beat, but that Nolan Carroll is far ahead of him right now for the #2 CB battle.

I'm a little concerned that a CB not deemed good enough by our coaching staff last year to replace either of the two worst starting CB's in the league during our time of need is now far ahead of the guy we drafted to fill that spot.

Carroll has been around since 2010 so it would seem unlikely that he hit a learning curve in year six of his career.

FWIW, I thought they should have played him and/or Boykin ahead of those two clowns last year, but our coaches kept telling us how good our CB's were.

Here's hoping that either or coaches were clueless last year or Carroll has really improved by leaps and bounds this year and we really do have a significant upgrade at #2 CB.

Mikey, Mikey, Mikely....

First...Davis already admitted he screwed the pooch by not playing Carroll last year

Second.....it has been noted that Carroll worked his ass off in the weight room this offseason to a degree he has never done before because he was pissed off that he played so little last year....that has shown in his play now...all reports on him so far are that he is on a mission..

Rowe is the future....Carroll will be the bridge to that future.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 9 2015, 08:39 AM) *
Mikey, Mikey, Mikely....

First...Davis already admitted he screwed the pooch by not playing Carroll last year

Second.....it has been noted that Carroll worked his ass off in the weight room this offseason to a degree he has never done before because he was pissed off that he played so little last year....that has shown in his play now...all reports on him so far are that he is on a mission..

Rowe is the future....Carroll will be the bridge to that future.

Maybe.

On that first point, why did he not play him? People famously say how we fans know nothing, yet week in week out we all saw how bad those CB's were and week after week we got a line from Chip and Billy about how the CB's were actually playing well.

My concern is that those two got a longer leash because they were brought in as FA's, a move approved by Chip and Billy, not replacing them was a detriment to our team. I mean if they didn't make an obvious change to our starters last year, can we rely on them making more subtle changes that would help this year?

Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 9 2015, 09:51 AM) *
Maybe.

On that first point, why did he not play him? People famously say how we fans know nothing, yet week in week out we all saw how bad those CB's were and week after week we got a line from Chip and Billy about how the CB's were actually playing well.

My concern is that those two got a longer leash because they were brought in as FA's, a move approved by Chip and Billy, not replacing them was a detriment to our team. I mean if they didn't make an obvious change to our starters last year, can we rely on them making more subtle changes that would help this year?

God Bless

Geez Mike...maybe you should change your name to 'chicken little' since half your posts are about how the sky may be falling. Did you ever think that maybe Carroll was the better player but was not up to speed in his responsibilities in the system last year? You will be just as bad if your player blows assignments leading to big plays as we have seen so many times, see Nate Allen. U can't fix everything at once, but as he developed the line and LB corps the last two years, now the focus goes to the secondary...logical and straightforward approach. Just try and rel;ax and allow this to play itself out.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 9 2015, 09:51 AM) *
Maybe.

Davis explained it pretty well in his mea culpa speech on Carroll......Carroll had not practiced on the outside...he was exclusively being used as a dime LB/CB and they did not think it would be better to hurt themselves there to upgrade the outside.

People learn from their mistakes sometimes....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Aug 9 2015, 10:57 AM) *
Geez Mike...maybe you should change your name to 'chicken little' since half your posts are about how the sky may be falling. Did you ever think that maybe Carroll was the better player but was not up to speed in his responsibilities in the system last year? You will be just as bad if your player blows assignments leading to big plays as we have seen so many times, see Nate Allen. U can't fix everything at once, but as he developed the line and LB corps the last two years, now the focus goes to the secondary...logical and straightforward approach. Just try and rel;ax and allow this to play itself out.

True, I can see how I sound that way. It is two fold really.

First, I over do the cautionary posts at times to provide balance to the board. IMO, too any kumbaya posts don't make for a good spectrum. I understand a lot of folks who post here are very happy that Chip is here and what we've done so far (and in general, I am more satisfied than not) , but there isn't enough balanced criticism IMO.

Second, and most importantly, is that I look at this team and these moves from the standpoint that did we do everything we could do to put a Super Bowl caliber team on the field this year? I don't look at it if we did enough to be a wild card game participating 10-6 team, or some other measure. Is it Super Bowl caliber? With this year's team particularly, did we use our assets, players, draft picks and salary cap room to do the best job of putting a SB contender on the field this year. Am I impatient? Yep. But as an Eagle fan for over forty years, I've had my "enjoyments" of building something, only to see it fail and or fall short and in many cases, see teams jump up out of seemingly no where to take home a Lombardi while our trophy case remains bare. Vermeil, Ryan, Kotite, Rhodes and Reid all provided some satisfaction of team building. But in this salary capped NFL, worst to first in a division happens almost every year.

So if you read my criticism from the standpoint of did we do what we could to be a SB contender this year, (and in particular in this post, did we do everything we could have done last year to get another win, ie play anyone other than Fletch or at the least, not line up Fletch one on one with one of the best WR's in the game) I hope that gives you a better idea of where I'm coming from.

Reality Fan
but is Kelly's true plan to put a SB team on the field this year or is it to rebuild this team into the one he thinks can win a SB while maintaining success as he goes?

There is a difference between improving the team for long term success and selling out everything to win it all right now when the latter is not feasible or likely....if Bradford works out he has checked off a major need but it is not reasonable to think that this team does not still need help in some ares, help that is/was not available in FA. I think they will do well this year, possibly very well but I think Kelly is looking at the big picture.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 9 2015, 01:10 PM) *
but is Kelly's true plan to put a SB team on the field this year or is it to rebuild this team into the one he thinks can win a SB while maintaining success as he goes?

There is a difference between improving the team for long term success and selling out everything to win it all right now when the latter is not feasible or likely....if Bradford works out he has checked off a major need but it is not reasonable to think that this team does not still need help in some ares, help that is/was not available in FA. I think they will do well this year, possibly very well but I think Kelly is looking at the big picture.

I agree with RF, and I have been following this team since Vermeil arrived, so I have been around as long as you Mike. I think Big Red was on the right course, but was side tracked by problems with his family. Chip does not look he will brook any outside distractions, he lives for the game. I also think his training regimen is a perfect fit for the new NFL CBA and has benefited the team immensely, so right now I am just enjoying the ride. Sure it could flame out like every other team we have had, but I would like to see Chip build a team rather than sell out to win it all in the short run. I think Howie impeded his progress in the first two years that had him staring at huge contracts thanks to Howie's first wave of deals. He shed a lot of that cap weight and is filling it with younger less expensive talent, the way it should be. With two ten win seasons I don't see a reason yet to question Kelly or his methods, even a step back this year could be acceptable if we see progress from the new pieces and we are moving closer to fielding a dominant long term team.
Zero
Good debate. But, don't you think you guys could throw in some personal insults and demeaning comments? laugh.gif
xsv
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 10 2015, 07:12 AM) *
Good debate. But, don't you think you guys could throw in some personal insults and demeaning comments? laugh.gif

Yeah, really guys. WTF does this have to do about Teblow, anyhow?
Reality Fan
I must not have been feeling well.....lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.