Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles Preseason QB Snap Counts last year
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Here are the actual preseason QB snap counts for the Eagles last year (%'s by game and total)

Game#.....Fol......San....Bar.....Kin
CHI #1.....24%..23%..32%...20%
NE #2......29%..27%..43%... 0%
PIT #3......55%..22%..15%....9%
NYJ #4......0%....0%....92%....8%
TOT..........30%..18%..42%....10%

I think this year, the Eagles should have two separate QB competitions, one for the starter and one for third string. As such, here's the % snap breakdown I would use

Game #....Bra....San.....Bar...Teb
#1............25%..25%..25%..25%
#2............25%..25%..25%..25%
#3............50%..50%....0%...0%
#4.............0%.....0%...50%..50%
TOT...........25%...25%..25%..25%

I would try to make it so that Bradford and Sanchez split their time with the 1's and 2's evenly and Barkley and Tebow split time with the 3's and 4's so that they are playing with equal quality of teammates to make it a fair competiiton. It sucks if either Barkley or Tebow has to try to make the team while one plays with the 2's and 3's and the other with the 3's and 4's.

Any ideas?
Dreagon
Lets face it. Unless something happens, Bradford is your starter with Sanchez as your number two. The only competition is between Tebow and Barkley and that's probably who you are going to see the most of. I'm guessing you will see Sanchez start the first and second preseason games but get pulled fairly quick. Then I think you will see Bradford in week three, with Sanchez doing most of the second half. The last game will probably be all Barkley and Tebow again.
Joegrane
I would try to make it so that Bradford and Sanchez split their time with the 1's and 2'

I understand your point but do you really want Bradford behind the Eagles #2 OLine?

I agree with you about the competition between #3 & 4. Tebow's mobility is going to be an advantage behind a make-shift 3rd string O Line.

Lets face it. Unless something happens, Bradford is your starter with Sanchez as your number two.

If Bradford continues to play the way he has according to reports, the competition is over. if his passer accuracy continues and he is healthy, he'll start in Week 1.

However this was my hope:

A healthy Sanchez with full strength in his arm would outplay Bradford slightly during the preseason due to Bradford's "rust".

This would give Chip a reason to start Sanchez at least in the first game vs Falcons.

Sanchez would probably play well enough to get the Eagles a W and also showcase himself to the league.

If Bradford plays well this year and signs with the Eagles, Chip could possibly trade Sanchez to a team that would allow Mark to compete for a starting position.

I don't know what they might get for Sanchez with a year left on his contract but probably not more than a 3rd rounder, probably some type of conditional deal depending on his number of snaps.

The frightening part of this is that the backup QB to the injury prone Bradford in 2016 would be either Tebow or Barkley or both.

Okay, you probably think that is crazy but it would not be nearly as crazy as what Chip has already done this off-season.

If at the end of the season the Eagles are projected as one of the elite teams in the league, a conditional 3rd round pick would not be worth the chance of loosing an injury prone QB's very good #2/backup. However, if the season reveals that the Eagles are not an elite team, maybe Chip would prefer the extra pick.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Aug 8 2015, 09:17 PM) *
Okay, you probably think that is crazy but it would not be nearly as crazy as what Chip has already done this off-season.

I don't think it is crazy. Consider this...there are some teams out there with real QB troubles, and Sanchez is probably going to want to a chance to compete for one of their QB positions once his contract is up anyway. You might as well get something for him if you can.

On the other hand, it's awful late in the offseason now, so it's looking more and more like Sanchez will stay with you guys this year.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Aug 8 2015, 10:33 PM) *
I don't think it is crazy. Consider this...there are some teams out there with real QB troubles, and Sanchez is probably going to want to a chance to compete for one of their QB positions once his contract is up anyway. You might as well get something for him if you can.

On the other hand, it's awful late in the offseason now, so it's looking more and more like Sanchez will stay with you guys this year.

I don't think there's any way Sanchez is NOT an Eagle this year. I'd be surprised if they tried trading him next year too. Even if Bradford is healthy all year, with his history the risk of losing him to injury is too great and they need to have a competent back up. If they trade him, they'll already have someone to be that competent backup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.