Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boykin: "Chip Kelly Is Uncomfortable With Black Men"
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
Brandon Boykin is the latest former Eagle to suggest that the coach who traded him, Chip Kelly, was motivated by racism.

In a text message to Comcast SportsNetís Derrick Gunn, Boykin said Kelly is ďuncomfortable around grown men of our culture.Ē

Boykin suggested that he agrees with former Eagles running back LeSean McCoy, who said after he was traded to the Bills that Kelly was getting rid of all the good black players.

ďHe canít relate and that makes him uncomfortable,Ē Boykin said. ďHe likes total control of everything, and he donít like to be uncomfortable. Players excel when you let them naturally be who they are, and in my experience that hasnít been important to him, but you guys have heard this before me.Ē

We have heard it before, but we still havenít heard an explanation for why Kelly, if his roster moves are motivated by racism, has also jettisoned good white players like Evan Mathis and Todd Herremans. Thereís no doubt that Kelly is radically reshaping the roster he inherited in Philadelphia, but that radical reshaping of the roster hasnít significantly changed the racial makeup of the Eaglesí roster.

Itís easy to find on-field explanations for why Kelly has made these allegedly racist moves. He prefers a straight-ahead running style, so he traded LeSean McCoy and signed DeMarco Murray to a lucrative contract. He prefers bigger cornerbacks, so he traded Brandon Boykin and signed Byron Maxwell to a lucrative contract. Thatís evidence that Kelly has clear ideas about the kinds of players he wants on his football team, but those ideas arenít tied to race.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...men/?ocid=Yahoo

Someone better warn DeMarco and Maxwell laugh.gif
mcnabbulous
Where did he say "uncomfortable with black men"?

You can't just put quotations around something and pretend it's a real quote. He then went on to clarify with a Pittsburgh reporter. Said Chip isn't racist, but he wishes he related to the players better. So basically a mid-20's dude is saying he can't relate to his middle aged boss. This isn't breaking news. This is dogshit "reporting" by Derrick Gunn.

About as dogshit as the subject line of this dogshit post.
BKRuger
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 2 2015, 12:23 PM) *

You can't just put quotations around something and pretend it's a real quote. He then went on to clarify with a Pittsburgh reporter. Said Chip isn't racist, but he wishes he related to the players better. So basically a mid-20's dude is saying he can't relate to his middle aged boss. This isn't breaking news. This is dogshit "reporting" by Derrick Gunn.

It's a shame, but it isn't surprising, seeing as how people like you encourage people like McCoy and Boykin to see race in absolutely everything every day. You reap what you sow.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BKRuger @ Aug 2 2015, 12:28 PM) *
It's a shame, but it isn't surprising, seeing as how people like you encourage people like McCoy and Boykin to see race in absolutely everything every day. You reap what you sow.

Yeah dude, it's my fault.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 2 2015, 10:23 AM) *

1. It's the title of the article; see link

2. The only proper response to this article is...

The fact players keep running with this narrative no matter how wrong it is gives me no shortage of laughter... Nor is the media's willingness to keep the rumor going... I was honestly hoping Evan Mathis would say Chip is uncomfortable around "large white players" after he cut him and Big Todd... he missed out on comedy gold! laugh.gif
Reality Fan
What amazes me is that none of these idiots look in the mirrior. And they obviously are too damn dumb to understand that although they were traded or released...they were replaced by other men of color.....and for large dollars....Is Ryans white?...Is Murray white?....are Shepherd or Thurmond or Rowe white?

You would hope that their agents would help them stop looking foolish

really makes them look petty and silly.
Endlessknight
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 2 2015, 09:57 AM) *
1. It's the title of the article; see link

2. The only proper response to this article is...

The fact players keep running with this narrative no matter how wrong it is gives me no shortage of laughter... Nor is the media's willingness to keep the rumor going... I was honestly hoping Evan Mathis would say Chip is uncomfortable around "large white players" after he cut him and Big Todd... he missed out on comedy gold! laugh.gif

The title of the article is: "Brandon Boykin suggests Chip Kelly is uncomfortable with black men". You purposely distorted it to make it seem like Boykin said something he did not.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Endlessknight @ Aug 2 2015, 05:53 PM) *
The title of the is: "Brandon Boykin suggests Chip Kelly is uncomfortable with black men". You purposely distorted it to make it seem like Boykin said something he did not.

Well if we're going to nitpick his exact quote was "uncomfortable around grown men of our culture"

"grown men of our culture" can easily be inferred to be "black men" such as the in the headline of this article

So the quote of "uncomfortable around grown men of our culture"

Can be read as "uncomfortable around "black men"" such as in the headline of this thread

But if we're going to really nitpick, Admins please feel free to change the title to "Chip Kelly Is Uncomfortable With Grown Men Of Our Culture" ... wouldn't want to cause any confusion
nephillymike
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/08/...ayers-about-it/

Sometimes that means you can't have as much swagger as you want to, as far as the way you dress, but it's also the mentality that no player is bigger than anybody else, and no player is bigger than the team.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/08/...t8IsvKP1O7xj.99

I found that comment by Jenkins curious. Jenks admits to butting heads with Kelly in the past

Can't dress with swagger?

Does that mean BDawk's hat and suit ensembles or DMAC's suits would not be permitted?

Does his control go to that level in this day in age?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it. What do you guys make of it?

What if Chip, like Boykin said in his clarifying comments, can't relate to his players and at times ignores them and they feel they can't talk to him. Is he standoffish with them as he is with the media?

Anyone?
Endlessknight
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 2 2015, 05:11 PM) *
Well if we're going to nitpick his exact quote was "uncomfortable around grown men of our culture"

"grown men of our culture" can easily be inferred to be "black men" such as the in the headline of this article

So the quote of "uncomfortable around grown men of our culture"

Can be read as "uncomfortable around "black men"" such as in the headline of this thread

But if we're going to really nitpick, Admins please feel free to change the title to "Chip Kelly Is Uncomfortable With Grown Men Of Our Culture" ... wouldn't want to cause any confusion

Nitpicking is arguing about minor points or grammar, you blatantly and purposefully fabricated a quote to further your own point of view and agenda. If you were an actual journalist you would be fired and most likely sued for such behavior.
Phits
Brandon Boykin says Chip Kelly isn't racist
Chip not a racist, he said, but he and other players wished they interacted with him more and he related to them.

"I'm not saying he's a racist at all. When you are a player, you want to be able to relate to your coach outside..of ftball. There were times, he just wouldn't talk to people. You would walk down the hallway, he wouldn't say anything to you."
HobbEs
Good grief, another player shown the door...another player playing the race card. Notice a pattern here? Nobody that's still here has anything bad to say.

I'm waiting for the day when Chip says "I didn't cut you because you're black. I cut you because you suck".
mcnabbulous
This isn't about race. It's about age. Boykin gets that a little bit. Shady was too dumb to see it.

Chip can't relate to these young millionaires. His favorite guys are all older (Ryans, Celek, Peters). I suspect he doesn't have a great relationship with these guys because he doesn't feel like that's his job. Some coaches have a different style. I would virtually guarantee that Boykin would feel the same way if he played for Belichick.

Chip is all business. He wants his players to be all business. If you're not (or you don't happen to fit his positional size requirements) he'll replace you with someone who will or does.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 2 2015, 09:26 PM) *
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/08/...ayers-about-it/

Sometimes that means you can't have as much swagger as you want to, as far as the way you dress, but it's also the mentality that no player is bigger than anybody else, and no player is bigger than the team.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/08/...t8IsvKP1O7xj.99

I found that comment by Jenkins curious. Jenks admits to butting heads with Kelly in the past

Can't dress with swagger?

Does that mean BDawk's hat and suit ensembles or DMAC's suits would not be permitted?

Does his control go to that level in this day in age?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it. What do you guys make of it?

What if Chip, like Boykin said in his clarifying comments, can't relate to his players and at times ignores them and they feel they can't talk to him. Is he standoffish with them as he is with the media?

Anyone?

I don't think Kelly relates to players the way Big Red did, see my 'Chip ain't Andy' post. For some of the less mature players, like Shady, Jackson, and now Boykin, it is hard to understand why your new coach is not like the last one. I once took a two weekend seminar with a different guy running them. On the first day of the second weekend the guy running the seminar said, "I am going to spend the first few hours today showing you that I am not the guy who ran the seminar last weekend." I think that is the problem Chip has with the old Reid recruits. They are comparing Chip to Andy, a football coach compared to a players coach. Though Reid portrayed himself as a stoic humorless man in his pressers, he was known inside the locker room as guy who cared about the players' off field issues as well as their football talent. Chip don't give a rat's ass about their personal lives, he is all about the game and wants his players in that mindset. He also has physical criteria for his players and Boykin was not a fit in his vision, oh well, cry me a river.

I heard Ike Reese on WIP today and he thinks Kelly did Boykins a favor by trading him to a team that gives him a chance to start on the outside. What Boykins, and many Reid guys don't seem to get, is that Kelly is not Andy, yet their perceptions of him are in direct comparison to their old coach. If a player buys in and gives Kelly 100% effort I am betting he treats them better than those questioning his plan, and as the coach his plan is all that matters. What really makes these accusations seem petty is that we have all heard how Chip listens to player's suggestions to improve the team and how well he relates to them on that level. I'm sorry BB didn't feel he could 'shoot the shit' with his coach, but Andy is in KC now.
american_champion_reborn
It's the Obama way.. Victim society.. Oh I'm black.. I'm gay.. Boo hoo.. Woe is me.. How about.. You're not good enough.. Period.. Boykin couldn't cut it as a Chip player.. Along with thug De'sean and ghetto fabulous 'Shady'.. Good Riddance.. This is a team and coach that I'm proud to root for.. God Bless.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (american_champion_reborn @ Aug 3 2015, 07:15 PM) *
It's the Obama way.. Victim society.. Oh I'm black.. I'm gay.. Boo hoo.. Woe is me.. How about.. You're not good enough.. Period.. Boykin couldn't cut it as a Chip player.. Along with thug De'sean and ghetto fabulous 'Shady'.. Good Riddance.. This is a team and coach that I'm proud to root for.. God Bless.

QUOTE (american_champion_reborn @ Aug 3 2015, 07:21 PM) *
Of course Tim will make the team.. Because Chip is no idiot.. Tim was flat out blackballed by the powers to the be in the NFL.. His outspoken views didn't sit well with the liberal media and sponsors of the NFL.. Chip doesn't let the Godless left influence his team.. Tim has been an elite warrior at every level of football.. Including the big bad NFL in his rookie season.. God Bless.

Oh boo hoo. I'm a Christian. I'm so persecuted. I'm not sure if you're a hypocrite or just that fucking stupid. These fucking posts were 6 minutes apart and you can't see the irony.

Go the fuck away.
american_champion_reborn
Again, mcnabbulous blindly defending the loud mouths, thugs and Michael Sams of the world.. Lol.. How trendy and tolerant.. You're so 21st century.. God Bless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.