Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think this kid will be lights out this year...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Gushy feelings over Jordan Matthews are over saturated. Everyone, almost everywhere are virtually guaranteeing a quantum leap in Year 2, a dangerous prediction. Philadelphia is a stats factory, but there are no assurances a significant fraction of Jeremy Maclin's 144 targets from 2014 will be awarded to Matthews. Why? Agholor. Philly is a place sure to maximize the rookie's fabulous abilities. Route precision is the name of his game. His sharp cuts, expanded tree and plus speed (4.42 40-yard dash) are standout characteristics. He also tracks the ball terrifically, gets good leverage off the line and owns highly reliable hands. Overall, his versatility and polish resemble an established veteran's. Reports suggest he'll start outside Day 1, likely in Maclin's old spot. The Eagles' staff seems resigned keeping Matthews in the slot. Riley Cooper and Josh Huff, meanwhile, are expected to battle for the other wing position. Nail down a starting gig and Agholor will garner much appeal in the fantasy community. Remember last year the Eagles attempted the fifth-most pass attempts in the league. Cooper should set the pace among first-year WRs, but Agholor may not lag far behind. In fact, it's no stretch to think he outperforms Matthews. He's that good. For now, 65-70 receptions for 950-1,050 yards and 6-8 TDs are likely.
Joegrane
I'll be surprised if Matthews' numbers are significantly better than they were last year. He might be guarded by the opposition's #1 DB. They won't even throw his way very often when he is on the outside. For this reason I expect him to be lined up in the slot occasionally.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Jul 27 2015, 06:46 PM) *
Gushy feelings over Jordan Matthews are over saturated. Everyone, almost everywhere are virtually guaranteeing a quantum leap in Year 2, a dangerous prediction. Philadelphia is a stats factory, but there are no assurances a significant fraction of Jeremy Maclin's 144 targets from 2014 will be awarded to Matthews. Why? Agholor. Philly is a place sure to maximize the rookie's fabulous abilities. Route precision is the name of his game. His sharp cuts, expanded tree and plus speed (4.42 40-yard dash) are standout characteristics. He also tracks the ball terrifically, gets good leverage off the line and owns highly reliable hands. Overall, his versatility and polish resemble an established veteran's. Reports suggest he'll start outside Day 1, likely in Maclin's old spot. The Eagles' staff seems resigned keeping Matthews in the slot. Riley Cooper and Josh Huff, meanwhile, are expected to battle for the other wing position. Nail down a starting gig and Agholor will garner much appeal in the fantasy community. Remember last year the Eagles attempted the fifth-most pass attempts in the league. Cooper should set the pace among first-year WRs, but Agholor may not lag far behind. In fact, it's no stretch to think he outperforms Matthews. He's that good. For now, 65-70 receptions for 950-1,050 yards and 6-8 TDs are likely.

Eyrie
Mathews had a lot of success in the slot last year, so it makes sense to keep him there if Agholor can start.

And we need Huff to step up because Cooper isn't good enough to start for us.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 28 2015, 05:08 AM) *
Mathews had a lot of success in the slot last year, so it makes sense to keep him there if Agholor can start.

And we need Huff to step up because Cooper isn't good enough to start for us.

I agree that Cooper was very subpar catching the ball last year but Kelly likes him like he likes Celek....he is an excellent blocker in the run game.....not traditional things valued at the WR spot but Kelly appreciates. I am interested to see if having a full camp healthy improves Cooper's play as a WR.....folks forget he missed most of camp last year.

There is certainly a target on his back this year...or should be......if he does not rebound it would be hard to imagine keeping him beyond this season...he has to know that.
D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 28 2015, 03:43 AM) *
I'll be surprised if Matthews' numbers are significantly better than they were last year. He might be guarded by the opposition's #1 DB. They won't even throw his way very often when he is on the outside. For this reason I expect him to be lined up in the slot occasionally.

LOL -

The next time you're right on this board will be the first. Matthews will be in the slot more often than not (again) and thus it's highly unlikely he'll be "guarded by the opposition's #1 DB."

Thanks for playing.

laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jul 28 2015, 01:09 PM) *
LOL -

The next time you're right on this board will be the first. Matthews will be in the slot more often than not (again) and thus it's highly unlikely he'll be "guarded by the opposition's #1 DB."

Thanks for playing.

laugh.gif

I was thinking the same thing but did not have the heart...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.