Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most indispensible Eagles?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/07/...e/#more-2984340

My rankings:

1. Peters - they need a stalwart guy to run behind and he is tops on an iffy OL. We need a go to option and he is it.

2. Jenkins - dearth at S is the reason for this.

3. Algolar/Matthews - we need them both to be healthy and productive or without Maclin we're screwed.

4. Kelce - line call for a group trying to jell and the ability to get down field is more important now that Mathis is gone and that downfield isn't Barbre or Tobin's strengths.

5. Maxwell - can't lose him in a weak DB field. Need him to be the way to above average DB field.

6. Cox - while he is the best defensive player, he is a 3-4 DE, and good OLB play can help make up for a loss there. Why am I apologizing for listing him 6th?
Joegrane
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 18 2015, 09:06 PM) *
6. Cox - while he is the best defensive player, he is a 3-4 DE, and good OLB play can help make up for a loss there. Why am I apologizing for listing him 6th?

Because Cox should be #1 or #2. He is so disruptive. He frees the LBs to make plays.

2. Maxwell. same reason you gave

3. Brandon Graham. No backups at such an important position.

4. Jenkins. same reason you gave.

5. Either one of the OTs--Peters or Johnson. Drop off would be significant and moving an OG out to OT would also downgrade that position.

I did not select QB, WRs or RBs because the backups are not much less talented than starters.

Kelce or Barwin would be #7, kicker #9, maybe B Logan #10.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 18 2015, 11:04 PM) *
Because Cox should be #1 or #2. He is so disruptive. He frees the LBs to make plays.

2. Maxwell. same reason you gave

3. Brandon Graham. No backups at such an important position.

4. Jenkins. same reason you gave.

5. Either one of the OTs--Peters or Johnson. Drop off would be significant and moving an OG out to OT would also downgrade that position.

I did not select QB, WRs or RBs because the backups are not much less talented than starters.

Kelce or Barwin would be #7, kicker #9, maybe B Logan #10.

Why Graham over Barwin?
Eyrie
I understand that we're looking at where the drop off is most pronounced between the starter and their immediate replacement, but football is a team game.

So I look at the OL as a group because there's no point in listing a LT as the most important Eagle if we have two speed bumps at RG and RT. #1 for me is therefore the Peters/Kelce/Johnson trio and a prayer that they can cover for whichever scrubs play RG and LG.

Then I'd say Maxwell. If he can shut down one side of the field, then the rest of the secondary can cover for each other.

Cox is #3 for the reason Joegrane gave, and it's slightly alarming that our key player in a 3-4 is a DE and not one of the OLBs that the scheme is meant to favour. That's not a slight on Barwin or Graham who are good players, but a comment on our lack of an elite OLB that scares the shit out of the opposing OL.
Dreagon
I'm going to go with Mark Sanchez.

At least you know what he is, and he's a lot better than bad. And I can think of umpteen scenarios where you may suddenly need him under center.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jul 19 2015, 12:29 PM) *

At least you know what he is, and he's a lot better than bad. And I can think of umpteen scenarios where you may suddenly need him under center.

Does "ump___" mean "thir___ million"? biggrin.gif
Eagle2720
I'm not so ready to list Maxwell on here, as much as I love the idea of him being shut down for us, we haven't seen him play in our system with our guys. And I still have nightmares of Asomugha and how I thought he would be our shining knight for years to come.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 19 2015, 06:45 AM) *
I understand that we're looking at where the drop off is most pronounced between the starter and their immediate replacement, but football is a team game.

So I look at the OL as a group because there's no point in listing a LT as the most important Eagle if we have two speed bumps at RG and RT. #1 for me is therefore the Peters/Kelce/Johnson trio and a prayer that they can cover for whichever scrubs play RG and LG.

Then I'd say Maxwell. If he can shut down one side of the field, then the rest of the secondary can cover for each other.

Cox is #3 for the reason Joegrane gave, and it's slightly alarming that our key player in a 3-4 is a DE and not one of the OLBs that the scheme is meant to favour. That's not a slight on Barwin or Graham who are good players, but a comment on our lack of an elite OLB that scares the shit out of the opposing OL.

Now you have me curious....where was this angst when Herremans was here that you now fear the 2 "speed bumps"?

Herremans was bad for the last 2 years.....now he was a stud?

Amazing that there is such concern over guards......guards....sheesh....lol.....they literally do grow on trees....and both these guys missed time last year so their replacements got seasoning. Moffit was a very good guard until he went mental......hopefully he is balanced again...

I understand the worry that Mathis left but he missed half the season last year and they still did well.......until Kelce got hurt...Molk was a nightmare.

That is the guy that scares me....Kelce.....
Joegrane
The secondary will need help from pass rush from the front 4. I assume one of the other LBs could fill in for Barwin better than Smith or others can fill in for Graham.

I can certainly understand those who select the Pro Bowler, Barwin, over Graham.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 19 2015, 12:38 AM) *
Why Graham over Barwin?

Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 19 2015, 11:18 PM) *
Now you have me curious....where was this angst when Herremans was here that you now fear the 2 "speed bumps"?

Herremans was bad for the last 2 years.....now he was a stud?

Amazing that there is such concern over guards......guards....sheesh....lol.....they literally do grow on trees....and both these guys missed time last year so their replacements got seasoning. Moffit was a very good guard until he went mental......hopefully he is balanced again...

I understand the worry that Mathis left but he missed half the season last year and they still did well.......until Kelce got hurt...Molk was a nightmare.

That is the guy that scares me....Kelce.....

I was relaxed about Herremans leaving because I expected the position to be addressed in FA or the draft, particularly since I was expecting Mathis to move on next spring as well.

The failure to bring in fresh blood and instead rely on the scrubs who were behind the guys that were allowed to walk or got released does not inspire me with confidence.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 20 2015, 01:41 PM) *
I was relaxed about Herremans leaving because I expected the position to be addressed in FA or the draft, particularly since I was expecting Mathis to move on next spring as well.

The failure to bring in fresh blood and instead rely on the scrubs who were behind the guys that were allowed to walk or got released does not inspire me with confidence.

oddly those scrubs helped them to finish as the best run blocking line in football even with Molk playing who was horrible. Tobin and Gardner adjusted and played well.

I understand your concern regarding no draft or FA additions outside of Moffit but I think they will be fine unless Kelce and BOTH tackles go down.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jul 19 2015, 09:29 AM) *

If Mark Sanchez is your most indispensable player...

With that said the most indispensable player is Sam Bradford... because once Mark Sanchez takes the field you already know you're fucked...

But after Bradford, then it's easily Mark Sanchez, because Mark Sanchez prevents Tim Tebow from taking the field and if Tim Tebow takes the field...

Welcome To TebowHeads.Com

Just realized again our QBs are Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, and Tim Tebow... Lord have mercy
Eyrie
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Jul 21 2015, 06:59 PM) *
If Mark Sanchez is your most indispensable player...

With that said the most indispensable player is Sam Bradford... because once Mark Sanchez takes the field you already know you're fucked...

But after Bradford, then it's easily Mark Sanchez, because Mark Sanchez prevents Tim Tebow from taking the field and if Tim Tebow takes the field...

Welcome To TebowHeads.Com

Just realized again our QBs are Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, and Tim Tebow... Lord have mercy

Fortunately Barkley is the least worst option available as our #3 QB, and let's be honest - if we need to go that far into the depth chart our season is screwed anyway.

JeeQ
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 21 2015, 11:19 AM) *
Fortunately Barkley is the least worst option available as our #3 QB, and let's be honest - if we need to go that far into the depth chart our season is screwed anyway.

Matt "Least Worst Option" Barkley

laugh.gif
BKRuger
Umm, no Sam Bradford?

I would say he's the most necessary piece of this puzzle, and certainly will influence how Chip's tenure here is remembered more than most if not all players.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.