Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 weeks until Eagles football.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
We have exactly 4 weeks until the first Eagles pre-season game. Wow, this summer is flying by!

Can't wait to see TeBlow shit the bed.
CT_Eagle
I would like to see the summer slow down a bit.

There is a lot to look forward to this pre-season. First and foremost for me will be Bradford.
Dreagon
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jul 17 2015, 09:45 AM) *

There is a lot to look forward to this pre-season. First and foremost for me will be Bradford.

Don't be surprised if you see more Tebow and Barkley than Bradford. Those are the two competing for a spot, while I figure you may see a little of Bradford in game 3 if he's ready to go.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jul 17 2015, 03:02 PM) *
Don't be surprised if you see more Tebow and Barkley than Bradford. Those are the two competing for a spot, while I figure you may see a little of Bradford in game 3 if he's ready to go.

I would be happy with a single series from Bradford in the first game. Just to see that he can get on the field and play. That first hit he takes this year will have me on the edge of my seat. So much is riding on him this season.
Dreagon
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jul 17 2015, 10:15 AM) *
I would be happy with a single series from Bradford in the first game. Just to see that he can get on the field and play. That first hit he takes this year will have me on the edge of my seat. So much is riding on him this season.

At least you guys should have an interesting preseason. Position battles as QB, WR, probably OL. (just a warning from a guy who's been there....with their injury history, you guys would be insane to play either Murray or Austin much in preseason)
Zero
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jul 17 2015, 10:45 AM) *

Call me crazy, but I'm more excited to see how the defense has improved. You know, if they could have stopped a few of those passes that most any other team would have stopped, they probably would have won the division with Sanchez under center. Interesting.
nephillymike
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jul 17 2015, 10:15 AM) *

Gotta disagree here CT.

We need Bradford to play as much as possible. As of now, he is behind Sanchez in this offense and needs to get caught up ASAP. We need to see proof that he is NOT was his stats and record says he is; a bad NFL QB.

We can get out of paying him $13M if he doesn't play for us and I need to see signs that he is at least good enough to play as a starter on merit in this offense come opening night in Atlanta.

I have no interest in a $13M backup or a $13M player starter who hasn't earned the right to start.

C'mon Sam, you spent some time in Missouri, SHOW ME!!
Zero
Sorry, Mikey, at this point money is irrelevant. When the deal was made it was and going forward it is but now it has no bearing.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jul 19 2015, 07:55 AM) *
Sorry, Mikey, at this point money is irrelevant. When the deal was made it was and going forward it is but now it has no bearing.

Sure it does. I don't know if the cap hit for all of our off season moves (excluding Bradford) was greater than the $13M he is on the books for. It's huge.

If he isn't good enough to win the starters job, we'd be wiser cutting ties.

Again, the risk to me is not his leg. The risk to me is his competency.

We need to find out sooner rather than later on that.

Maybe Chip can work his QB magic and we'll be fine.

But we need to know before the season. We don't have the luxury of losing a game or two early on to find out.

I expect him to be fully ready to go Day 1 of camp. Palmer had the same injury, weeks later, is older and he's been back for months.

I know he has a real low INT%. True. My St Louis buddy says he was check down Charlie and got rattled real easy and threw the ball away. He needs to get over that and the best way IMO is to play him early and play him often.
Zero
I'm with you on everything except the money. It is what it is at this point. If he doesn't start who will go to for a backup to Sanchez? Barkley? If you cut him, what are you going to do with the $13 mil? Money isn't relevant, ability is. Right?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jul 19 2015, 10:09 AM) *
I'm with you on everything except the money. It is what it is at this point. If he doesn't start who will go to for a backup to Sanchez? Barkley? If you cut him, what are you going to do with the $13 mil? Money isn't relevant, ability is. Right?

If Bradford is not healthy enough to play, or is not good enough to go toe to toe with a possibly improved Sanchez in this preseason, cut him.

The NFL is not the NBA. The unused cap carries forward.

Suppose Bradford looks like he's way behind Sanchez, who IMO, is at best a slightly above average starter and only after some improvements to his game this year. Do you just keep him as a $13M backup who has shown to be of below average ability? I don't. If that is the case, I cut him and I sign...................................................................

Michael Vick for $3M.

(cue the laughter!!)

Sanchez, Vick and Barkley and $10M of cap room and a 2nd round pick is the better option for me. Even if we can't get the 2nd round pick back, I still go that route.

Now, I think the odds are better than even that this never happens and Bradford is at least close competition for Sanchez, which if that happens, you keep him, UNLESS, Barkley shows that HE is better than Bradford, then I go that cut route.
JeeQ
Make Or Break Season For Chip

This is officially his team with his players now so let's see if the system works

I can definitely say I don't agree with all his decisions but I wanted him here and still believe in him... This crazy bastard is going to bring us a Super Bowl somehow someway

Fly Eagles Fly Baby! 4 Weeks! biggrin.gif
Zero
I'd say next year is make or break. He deserves at least one year to put his players together before he needs to prove he did the right things.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Zero @ Jul 19 2015, 12:35 PM) *
I'd say next year is make or break. He deserves at least one year to put his players together before he needs to prove he did the right things.

I agree with this. With so many players coming in and going out, you guys could easily be considered a team in transition this year. I think next year is going to be more definitive.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jul 19 2015, 06:10 PM) *
I agree with this. With so many players coming in and going out, you guys could easily be considered a team in transition this year. I think next year is going to be more definitive.

We've been a team in transition since 1960!!!

He has to win at least one playoff game this year.

This ain't the Sixers.

This ain't the Phillies.

This is a team that HE signed some FA's and a DC two years ago that didn't pan out and he doesn't get a pass for the Sconces and Fletchers of the world nor the schemes only to give him a pass this year while his $63M CB and $40M RB and $13M QB warm up. You don't think Maclin was worth it. OK. Austin and Algholar need to make up for it. All Pro OG antics too much for his fragile psyche, make sure the new OG's can fill the void.

No excuses.

Win at least one playoff game or else!!
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 19 2015, 06:33 PM) *
This is a team that HE signed some FA's and a DC two years ago that didn't pan out and he doesn't get a pass for the Sconces and Fletchers of the world nor the schemes only to give him a pass this year while his $63M CB and $40M RB and $13M QB warm up. You don't think Maclin was worth it. OK. Austin and Algholar need to make up for it. All Pro OG antics too much for his fragile psyche, make sure the new OG's can fill the void.

No excuses.

I certainly understand your frustration, but you are about to have a new starting QB, a new starting RB, and a new starting wideout probably paired with a second year man. Add two new starting guards and you can't get much more in transition than that.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jul 20 2015, 01:14 AM) *
I certainly understand your frustration, but you are about to have a new starting QB, a new starting RB, and a new starting wideout probably paired with a second year man. Add two new starting guards and you can't get much more in transition than that.

But whose decision was it to put us into that transition?
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 20 2015, 01:38 PM) *
But whose decision was it to put us into that transition?

The fact is that we staved the transition period in his first year. Last season had to play out out so we could see if the team had the make-up to be a SB competitor. We found out that we could be competitive but not a SB competitor. We learned the truth about Foles being a decent QB vs an all-world QB. So Chip blew it up, and is building a team closer to his liking.
JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 19 2015, 04:33 PM) *
We've been a team in transition since 1960!!!

He has to win at least one playoff game this year.

This ain't the Sixers.

This ain't the Phillies.

No excuses.

I'm with Mikey... you can't call this a transition season for Chip if he forced the transition
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jul 20 2015, 01:21 PM) *
The fact is that we staved the transition period in his first year. Last season had to play out out so we could see if the team had the make-up to be a SB competitor. We found out that we could be competitive but not a SB competitor. We learned the truth about Foles being a decent QB vs an all-world QB. So Chip blew it up, and is building a team closer to his liking.

Agreed. The 2013 season simply delayed the inevitable. You're always in transition if you don't have a QB.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Jul 20 2015, 07:21 PM) *

By that logic there are only four or five teams each year that are not in transition.

I want to see us build around a solid core, not blow that core up every couple of years because it isn't working. That's what happens when a new coach has just been appointed and should not be necessary under an established coach like Kelly.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 21 2015, 02:16 PM) *
By that logic there are only four or five teams each year that are not in transition.

That's not that far off. I'd say 8-9 teams not in a transition period. With about half of those teams being legit SB contenders and the other half being on the bubble, hoping for a few more lucky breaks to put them over. It's no coincidence that those 8-9 teams have franchise (quality) QB's

I want to see us build around a solid core, not blow that core up every couple of years because it isn't working. That's what happens when a new coach has just been appointed and should not be necessary under an established coach like Kelly.

The fact is, Chip has rebuilt the D. It has been a work in progress since year 1 of the Chip era. There has been a clear sign of improvement, but there is obviously room to grow. The offence has alternated between good and great. Being that this is one of Chip's strengths it's not surprising to know that his offence has been in the top half of the league, despite not having a franchise QB.

Essentially, until we get a franchise QB and/or sustainable QB play we will be in some form of transition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.