Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumbest Offseason Move by Chip (so far)
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Spock
I know there are a lot to choose from. The Mathis situation is pretty bad, but letting Maclin walk over ~$1M was huge. That guy was awesome last year. Clutch catch after clutch catch. Staying in bounds when it seemed impossible. Holding onto balls that seemed uncatchable. Ran great routes. Character guy.

But of course Chip's ego has to get in the way of signing and now The Walrus in KC has him back.

Please leave already Chip, please just leave.
Eyrie
Wrong. Maclin was made an excellent offer to stay, which is evidence that Kelly really wanted him. The problem was that Reid wanted him more and was willing to pay that bit extra.

The dumbest offseason move was the decision to ignore the OL in both FA and the draft, despite letting Herremans leave and knowing that the Mathis situation was still festering.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 12 2015, 04:33 PM) *
I know there are a lot to choose from. The Mathis situation is pretty bad, but letting Maclin walk over ~$1M was huge. That guy was awesome last year. Clutch catch after clutch catch. Staying in bounds when it seemed impossible. Holding onto balls that seemed uncatchable. Ran great routes. Character guy.

But of course Chip's ego has to get in the way of signing and now The Walrus in KC has him back.

Please leave already Chip, please just leave.

So you did not like Reid and you don't like Chip?....maybe you are just not a happy person....I get the feeling that no matter who the coach is they will never satify a genius like yourself.

Mathis has yet to get an offer.....always makes you look good playing between 2 studs.....by the way...they went 6-2 without him last year......

You are one of those guys that think OGs are hard to find.

And Kelly certainly tried to keep Maclin.....the KC number was just too high...it isn't like the Eagles offered him 8 million...you know...Jackson money. Another one of those "how could you get nothing for him" guys.

I think Chip has had a pretty good offseason.
Spock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 12 2015, 05:17 PM) *
Wrong. Maclin was made an excellent offer to stay, which is evidence that Kelly really wanted him. The problem was that Reid wanted him more and was willing to pay that bit extra.

I agree with everything you said after you said "Wrong". Not sure how your (accurate) points make my statement wrong, unless you are just saying I am wrong b/c of your next point which was......

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 12 2015, 05:17 PM) *
The dumbest offseason move was the decision to ignore the OL in both FA and the draft, despite letting Herremans leave and knowing that the Mathis situation was still festering.

Ya know, you may be right. The OL situation may be even worse than letting Maclin. I stand corrected. But Maclin is a very close 2nd.
Spock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 12 2015, 05:38 PM) *
So you did not like Reid and you don't like Chip?....maybe you are just not a happy person....I get the feeling that no matter who the coach is they will never satisfy a genius like yourself.

Mathis has yet to get an offer.....always makes you look good playing between 2 studs.....by the way...they went 6-2 without him last year......

You are one of those guys that think OGs are hard to find.

And Kelly certainly tried to keep Maclin.....the KC number was just too high...it isn't like the Eagles offered him 8 million...you know...Jackson money. Another one of those "how could you get nothing for him" guys.

I think Chip has had a pretty good offseason.

Andy was great at game prep but a horrible game day coach and too stubborn (like Chip) to learn from his mistakes.

I hope you are right about OG. We shall see.

And you are right, I am basically a miserable person.....Oh and BTW, I am no genius. I don't even stay at HI Expresses. I use the D-Tree on Broad and Locust.
Zero
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 12 2015, 06:25 PM) *
Ya know, you may be right. The OL situation may be even worse than letting Maclin. I stand corrected. But Maclin is a very close 2nd.

Maclin was a FA, he had the opportunity to go where he wanted to. He chose to sign with his first NFL coach in a city much closer to his home town and alma mater. What do you think the Eagles could have done to keep him? The obvious answer is to offer more $ than KC. But where is the stopping point?
nephillymike
Letting two OG's go without getting replacements with the draft and/or free agents. The guys who we are looking to replace them with are the same guys who were not good enough to replace them last year at this time. The best of the bunch, Barbre, had a horrible preseason before he got hurt.

Too much unnecessary risk for a team expected to do great things.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 12 2015, 07:33 PM) *
Letting two OG's go without getting replacements with the draft and/or free agents. The guys who we are looking to replace them with are the same guys who were not good enough to replace them last year at this time. The best of the bunch, Barbre, had a horrible preseason before he got hurt.

Too much unnecessary risk for a team expected to do great things.

I have to disagree...Herremans was done before last year so him leaving is a non starter...he would have been replaced regardless. I can understand Mathis worries a little bit but I don't think they are concerned as much because I believe that they think OGs are easy to replace. The sub talent you dislike filled in for Mathis and Herremans last year and they were not horrible. Getting a full offseason and TC under those "subs" should do wonders for their consistency. Did you not find it odd that Peters was not at all bothered by the loss of Mathis?

Watch out for Moffit baby.....the next pro bowl guard out of Philly....lol
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 12 2015, 06:28 PM) *
Andy was great at game prep but a horrible game day coach and too stubborn (like Chip) to learn from his mistakes.

And you are right, I am basically a miserable person.....Oh and BTW, I am no genius. I don't even stay at HI Expresses. I use the D-Tree on Broad and Locust.

lol...well played...well played.....
BKRuger
All of his moves are going to be judged as a whole - either he turned the program into a champion, or he tried to be a wizard and failed miserably. I'm pessimistic about where we're headed, but he has his chance this year to prove himself right with his guys, and not Andy's.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 12 2015, 04:33 PM) *

Mac got an opportunity to go back to his home state and state where he played college ball. He gets an opportunity to be a home town hero.

He got an opportunity to play for the coach that drafted him and with whom he had good success.

He also got more $.
HobbEs
xsv
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 12 2015, 06:28 PM) *

For all you newbs out there... this is how you respond to criticism.

Well done!
JeeQ
QUOTE (BKRuger @ Jul 12 2015, 07:47 PM) *
All of his moves are going to be judged as a whole - either he turned the program into a champion, or he tried to be a wizard and failed miserably. I'm pessimistic about where we're headed, but he has his chance this year to prove himself right with his guys, and not Andy's.

This right here
Eyrie
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 12 2015, 11:25 PM) *
I agree with everything you said after you said "Wrong". Not sure how your (accurate) points make my statement wrong, unless you are just saying I am wrong b/c of your next point which was......

Because your original post made it sound like Kelly had lowballed Maclin when in fact he had made him a very good offer. At some point you have to decide when the price is too high and accept that you've been outbid.

I'm always right - it's just that the facts usually contradict me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.