Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why I believe we have no chance of winning a SB with Chip
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Spock
I have seen enough and am ready to see him gone. I have accepted that we will never win a SB with him at the helm.

He is arrogant beyond comprehension and an idiot to boot.

Evidence:

1. Gets nothing in return for Mathis and Djax.

2. Lets Maclin walk over $1M

3. Did not challenge at goal line in AZ game where there was nothing to lose by challenging. Took him 72 hours to concede he should have challenged.

4. Did not draft an OL in two years, including in a year when one starting OL was already cut and the other was on his way out the door (Mathis).

5. Once declined a free 5 yard penalty in the name of tempo.

6. Refused to use Polk in goal line situations (AZ and SF in particular).

7. Played starters in week 16 against Bears which was a meaningless game (Sunday night), knowing full well week 17 was for the division. Sure enough Wolff gets hurt (surprise) and we lose to Saints 2 weeks later in playoffs -- largely due to secondary play.

8. Plays starters in week 17 against NYG last year, costing us 5 positions in each round in the draft this year.

9. Signed Tebow.

10. Starts 9-3 last year and misses playoffs. Cowboys and Skins losses were deplorable.

11. Did not know rules in year 1. Could have called TO to let Vick return to game after (non)injury. Instead he brings in Foles and asks him to throw a fade pass into the end zone. Conceded to press after the game that he did not know he could have called a TO and let Vick continue to play.

12 Horrible clock mgt in year 1 (has since improved). Stayed in hurry up while up 2 scores in the 4th.

13. Should have let NO score in playoff game after the KO and moving the ball.

14. Marcus Smith (at least 50% his fault).

I can go on..........

But bottom line is that Chip is a dolt and the sooner he is gone the better.
Phits
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 28 2015, 11:10 AM) *

Yet he found a way to win a division title and 20 games within his first 2 seasons. Considering he inherited a 4-12 team, that's quite a feat. Unless of course you felt that this team was capable of winning a SB with the roster he had. If that is the case, you would be the "dolt".
xsv
I would probably argue a few of these, but in general, this is a pretty good list of mistakes he's made in the last 2 years.

I also think there's a much long list of good things he's done.

After weighing the good vs the bad, I'm cautiously optimistic that we're in a better place now than we were with Andy the last couple of seasons. I think this is a make or break season for him, though.

I have seen enough and am ready to see him gone. I have accepted that we will never win a SB with him at the helm.

He is arrogant beyond comprehension and an idiot to boot.

Evidence:

1. Gets nothing in return for Mathis and Djax.

2. Lets Maclin walk over $1M

3. Did not challenge at goal line in AZ game where there was nothing to lose by challenging. Took him 72 hours to concede he should have challenged.

4. Did not draft an OL in two years, including in a year when one starting OL was already cut and the other was on his way out the door (Mathis).

5. Once declined a free 5 yard penalty in the name of tempo.

6. Refused to use Polk in goal line situations (AZ and SF in particular).

7. Played starters in week 16 against Bears which was a meaningless game (Sunday night), knowing full well week 17 was for the division. Sure enough Wolff gets hurt (surprise) and we lose to Saints 2 weeks later in playoffs -- largely due to secondary play.

8. Plays starters in week 17 against NYG last year, costing us 5 positions in each round in the draft this year.

9. Signed Tebow.

10. Starts 9-3 last year and misses playoffs. Cowboys and Skins losses were deplorable.

11. Did not know rules in year 1. Could have called TO to let Vick return to game after (non)injury. Instead he brings in Foles and asks him to throw a fade pass into the end zone. Conceded to press after the game that he did not know he could have called a TO and let Vick continue to play.

12 Horrible clock mgt in year 1 (has since improved). USet to remain in hurry up while up 2 scores in the 4th.

13. Should have let NO score in playoff game after the KO and moving the ball.

14. Marcus Smith (at least 50% his fault).

I can go on..........

Spock
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 28 2015, 12:02 PM) *
Yet he found a way to win a division title and 20 games within his first 2 seasons. Considering he inherited a 4-12 team, that's quite a feat. Unless of course you felt that this team was capable of winning a SB with the roster he had. If that is the case, you would be the "dolt".

He peaked in year 1 (which resulted in a 1st round playoff loss). The team regressed last year and with our OL, young receivers, a house-of-cards at QB and an improving division, I expect to regress further this coming year. The only thing we have going for us this year is a favorable schedule.

I fully expect Chip to resign, not get fired -- resign, either after this year or next after the team continues to decline and the fans turn on him (much like the media has already, rightfully, started to do).

xsv
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 28 2015, 12:20 PM) *
He peaked in year 1 (which resulted in a 1st round playoff loss). The team regressed last year and with our OL, young receivers, a house-of-cards at QB and an improving division, I expect to regress further this coming year. The only thing we have going for us this year is a favorable schedule.

I fully expect Chip to resign, not get fired -- resign, either after this year or next after the team continues to decline and the fans turn on him (much like the media has already, rightfully, started to do).

I think it's too early to proclaim that he's peaked. And his second season was very similar to his first, except that his starting QB went down for the year early on in the season. And I'm not sure I'd agree that the OL regressed.

While Matthews, Huff and our first round WR this year are not DJax and Maclin, I think they've got a chance to be just as good.

Our running game is certain to be improved.

Our D line has greatly improved over the last 2 years, and may now be one of the best in the league.

Our LBers look to be greatly improved this year.

I like Our defensive backfield this year a lot better, although I'm concerned we still haven't adequately addressed the second safety spot.

Lots to be optimistic about.
Spock
QUOTE (xsv @ Jun 28 2015, 12:32 PM) *
I think it's too early to proclaim that he's peaked. And his second season was very similar to his first, except that his starting QB went down for the year early on in the season. And I'm not sure I'd agree that the OL regressed.

While Matthews, Huff and our first round WR this year are not DJax and Maclin, I think they've got a chance to be just as good.

Our running game is certain to be improved.

Our D line has greatly improved over the last 2 years, and may now be one of the best in the league.

Our LBers look to be greatly improved this year.

I like Our defensive backfield this year a lot better, although I'm concerned we still haven't adequately addressed the second safety spot.

Lots to be optimistic about.

I concede the D is improved. But I am not sold it has improved to the level that many seem to think. Yes the LBs should be very good, but they were very good last year when healthy. I see us going from a B/B+ last year to B+/A- this year.......As for the secondary, I see us going from a D to a B- (at best) ......Our 2nd S is still a question as is our 2nd outside CB.......Yes this is improvement, but I think the O will be worse than last year. I think people are understating, if that is possible, the impact of losing Todd H and Mathis. And while I think the receiving corps can be very good in a few years, this year is still too soon.

6-10.
xsv
I think the run game, qb play and secondary will all be significantly improved, and will result in 11 or 12 wins if Bradford stays healthy. If not, I think we'll have the same 10 win type season as the last 2 years.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 28 2015, 12:02 PM) *

a bit overrated IMO

there were few if any significant roster changes between 2012/13. and even those changes made the 2013 team better (except maybe Maclin)

they were a team capable of a better record but AR was a lame duck and was mailing it in. Chip comes in, new style and new system and wins the division when nobody else in the division had a winning record. last year the cowboys give Chip a winning record to contend with in his division and his team suddenly isnt that great

also Chip consistently gets easy schedules to rack up wins. he had the 20th toughest schedule in both 2013/14 and 2015 is the 23rd toughest....AR's last year we had the 7th toughest schedule

while burning thru the league to get those 20 wins...Chip beat 6 teams with that ended the year with a winning record...not quite the feat it would first appear

all that said i dont think its time to label Chip a failure. bad teams with bad coaches dont get 20 wins. they lose no matter how easy the schedule is. i give Chip credit there. IMO its too early to say how successful Chip will or wont be. im not overly optimistic due to some of what was listed in the OP...but mostly because of Bradford.

i am still waiting to see
nephillymike
A good list of mistakes, true.

I don't think we will win it all with Chip's current MO either but for different reasons:

1. The combination of playing with only the highest of character players and trying to do so while spending 85-90% of your cap every year is not a formula for SB success IMO.

2. Not getting a return on your investments will have long -term negative impact on the talent level of this team. Mathis and DJax situations are examples of that.

#1 is more harmful than #2. There just isn't enough talented character players in the NFL to get to the highest goal IMO. And NFL careers are too short and salary disputes will happen and happen often and his way of dealing with such things is naive. Chipper needs to grow up. What would Chip the Eagle Czar do with the Russell Wilson situation? History in this town tells us that there were many great players for us that just wouldn't measure up to Chip's high standards.

6-10?

No way.

This guy is a great offensive coach and even if Sanchez/Barkley have to play the entire year, we will get to 8-8 and if our D has improved by a decent amount, we should at least be 9-7. I think the OL situation makes 9-7 the ceiling though. Sad to say.
Zero
The optimist in me wants this thread to be pinned so we can destroy all Axis credibility forever! devil03.gif
Phits
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jun 28 2015, 01:57 PM) *
they were a team capable of a better record but AR was a lame duck and was mailing it in. Chip comes in, new style and new system and wins the division when nobody else in the division had a winning record. last year the cowboys give Chip a winning record to contend with in his division and his team suddenly isnt that great

The question with Chip was whether his offensive scheming could translate to the NFL, after 2 seasons it appears that it can. He is now making the team that he feels he can compete with for a championship and not just the regular season. That doesn't mean that they are legitimate SB contenders for the upcoming season, but it does appear that they are on their way within the next 2-3 years.

also Chip consistently gets easy schedules to rack up wins. he had the 20th toughest schedule in both 2013/14 and 2015 is the 23rd toughest....AR's last year we had the 7th toughest schedule

Strength of schedule stat is misleading.

while burning thru the league to get those 20 wins...Chip beat 6 teams with that ended the year with a winning record...not quite the feat it would first appear

Winning 70% of the games you play is always a great accomplishment. Belittling this accomplishment using the final season record of the opposition is nitpicking. A team can be 4-0 when you play them (constituting 25% of the reg. season) and fall apart finishing with a losing record., That doesn't change the fact that they were undefeated before you played/beat them.

BKRuger
It's vast improvement or bust this year for sure. Personally I think the wheels fall off and Chip resigns as OP said, he won't get fired unless he finishes 1-15 or some shit. Likely a key injury or two, combined with his scheme being figured out by the entire league. Our defense actually looks ok, but they'll be on the field for 35-40 minutes a game.
Zero
QUOTE (BKRuger @ Jun 28 2015, 05:50 PM) *
It's vast improvement or bust this year for sure. Personally I think the wheels fall off and Chip resigns as OP said, he won't get fired unless he finishes 1-15 or some shit. Likely a key injury or two, combined with his scheme being figured out by the entire league. Our defense actually looks ok, but they'll be on the field for 35-40 minutes a game.
I'm not sure a secondary reason Kelly signed both Murray and Mathews is to grind out the yards instead of focusing on big plays. It sure seems to me like Kelly is adapting his concepts to the NFL and this may be one of his concessions.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (BKRuger @ Jun 28 2015, 05:50 PM) *

Are you Jeff Lurie? It really sounds like your prediction is more of a hope on your part, did you invest in a bunch of Jerseys of players he cut? For all the crap dumped on him in this thread, tell me what all these players have in common: D Jackson, J Maclin, Shady, Vick, Sanchez, and Foles? They all had career years playing for Chip. Jackson's numbers dipped in Washington, and I'm betting Maclin's and Shady's productivity dip next year. Foles, well he had flaws he could hide in year 1 and instead regressed, and yet he still went 6-2 in his starts. Before you throw him under the bus for early mistakes, why not just sit back and see what he does with the guys he added this year?

I think Chip's onto something and I don't subscribe to Mike's assertion that you need criminals or prima donnas to build a successful team. That's not to say that Chip might bring one or two on board eventually, but only after he has a core of player/leaders to keep them inline. That's what Belicheat did up in NE, and Chip seems to be following his method of managing personnel.

There is one aspect of Chip that sets him apart from Reid, he has NO outside distractions. I wonder how Reid's tenure would have gone if not for the off field angst he faced with his kids. As I said before, Chip looks too driven to quit anything and I expect Lurie to give him all three years left on his contract to move the Birds forward and I doubt he walks away from it regardless of how this season goes.
mcnabbulous
He's won 20 games without a QB.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 28 2015, 02:42 PM) *
Winning 70% of the games you play is always a great accomplishment. Belittling this accomplishment using the final season record of the opposition is nitpicking. A team can be 4-0 when you play them (constituting 25% of the reg. season) and fall apart finishing with a losing record., That doesn't change the fact that they were undefeated before you played/beat them.

I don't think I'm belittling the accomplishment. I admit it's something only good coaches can do. I think I'm just trying to be consistent with my assessment of how good teams are.....you can use the final season record or dismiss it, but you can't have it both ways

You acknowledge the feat it was for Chip to take a bad team (based on 4-12 above) and take that team to a division title

You acknowledge Chips feat of winning 20 games which is again looking at his final season records for 2years. Such a record is a "great accomplishment"

But then when looking at the competition, final season records mean nothing because it doesn't account for a team plays during the season. Using such logic it could also be stated that 20 games won is misleading because it doesn't account for the losing like we saw down the stretch last year

No I don't think I'm belittling the accomplishment. Final season records take into account everything that happened during the year. The win/lose streaks, bad/good decisions, injuries, etc... With that in mind, Chip did a good job winning games he was supposed to win. It's way better than losing games you were supposed to win. I guess we just differ on the magnitude of the accomplishment. I agree it takes a lot (not necessarily greatness) to consistently win no matter who you are playing.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jun 29 2015, 02:52 PM) *
I admit it's something only good coaches can do.

It's not something only good coaches can do. It's only something teams with good QB's can do.

When GB has a backup QB playing, we beat them with ease. When it's Aaron Rodgers, they blow us away.

The whole "he can't beat good teams" idea is and always has been stupid. Good teams are good teams because they are hard to beat and almost always have very good QB's.

Hell, Bill Belichick could barely beat bad teams before he got Tom Brady.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 29 2015, 04:23 PM) *
It's not something only good coaches can do. It's only something teams with good QB's can do.

the 'it' we mean is the 20 games.....and you admitted that Chip did it without a QB

oh yea im not implying that "he cant beat good teams"...just noting that there havent been a ton of them during the last 2 years
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jun 29 2015, 04:20 PM) *
the 'it' we mean is the 20 games.....and you admitted that Chip did it without a QB

oh yea im not implying that "he cant beat good teams"...just noting that there havent been a ton of them during the last 2 years

Okay, sorry. I thought you were implying that only good coaches beat good teams consistently.

Those teams would be less "good" if they had lost to us. So I think that's pretty much how it works.

Additionally, we only played 7 games against teams with winning (going 3-4) with another win against the division winning Panthers. Going .500 against the better teams in football, without the luxury of having good QB play is pretty good.

BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 29 2015, 05:42 PM) *
Okay, sorry. I thought you were implying that only good coaches beat good teams consistently.

yea for that you much better QB play....the best teams are that due to the QB
rumply
Chip has made his fair share of mistakes as the OP is happy to point out, but he is also responsible for re-igniting this team. Has the OP already forgotten how awful this team was the year before Chip's arrival?

Chip probably now has something like the team he wants, has put his balls on the line to get it & can only really be judged by what happens over the next couple of seasons.

We can all find mistakes if we look hard enough, try spending some time looking at the positives.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (rumply @ Jun 29 2015, 06:01 PM) *
Chip has made his fair share of mistakes as the OP is happy to point out, but he is also responsible for re-igniting this team. Has the OP already forgotten how awful this team was the year before Chip's arrival?

Chip probably now has something like the team he wants, has put his balls on the line to get it & can only really be judged by what happens over the next couple of seasons.

We can all find mistakes if we look hard enough, try spending some time looking at the positives.

cheers.gif:
Reality Fan
It was hard to read the original post when the initial premise is that Kelly is an idiot.

Only someone with a relatively low IQ would suggest that.

Whether you agree with the moves he makes there is no question he is an innovator and extremely successful, neither indicative of idiocy.

I also have to say....of all the players that left or were cut only Maclin was difficult pill.

Jackson got a moderate contract that he signed almost immediately which suggests there was no real market for him and he signed with the Redskins who promptly had a losing season. He is the guy that plays for himself and his stats....hates practice and blocking. Funny how his yards and TDs were not going to be replaced until they were by Maclin. Will that happen again? Doubtful but this offense seems to adapt. And when everyone and there cousin knows a guy is in the doghouse and he is going to be cut they tend not to trade...and in his case, bid on him after he was cut....he won't make a team win.

Mathis is a gaurd and while he is good he wasn't that incredible last year and he was hurt and missed significant time so they know what it ilike to miss him....and correct me if I am wrong but they won more without him last year.

McCoy? besides the fact that he is a POS human being he was another me guy And they got a great defensive player to boot.

Maclin got a hell of a deal...hard to argue with that....

all a matetr of how quickly the D meshes....They will have a great offense.....they will have great STs....is the defense improves only a little they will be a hell of a team and I think the D is going to be very good....could the secondary be any worse over the top?
Spock
He's nothing more than a glorified High School gym teacher.

Everyone makes mistakes, but his are inexcusable. Innovation does not guarantee success. The guy might actually make a decent offensive coordinator, but he is in so far over his head as HC/GM that he can't even see the boat any more.

Wake me up when we have a legitimate NFL coach and GM.

Zero
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 29 2015, 08:29 PM) *
He's nothing more than a glorified High School gym teacher.

Everyone makes mistakes, but his are inexcusable. Innovation does not guarantee success. The guy might actually make a decent offensive coordinator, but he is in so far over his head as HC/GM that he can't even see the boat any more.

Obviously your opinion lacks supporting evidence. You may end up being right, but not because of a mind meld.
Spock
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 29 2015, 08:49 PM) *
Obviously your opinion lacks supporting evidence. You may end up being right, but not because of a mind meld.

I started my first post with evidence.
Zero
The facts you offer are not evidence supporting your conclusion. The facts do not mean Kelly will never win a SB. Some are evidence of mistakes and the outcome of some others is yet to be determined. Flaws do not always equate to failure, they could be signs of growth or experimentation. Only time will show if you're opinion is accurate.
Spock
Fair enough, my facts support him being an idiot. And Chuckie is an idiot and he won a SB so I guess you got me.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 29 2015, 08:13 PM) *
Fair enough, my facts support him being an idiot. And Chuckie is an idiot and he won a SB so I guess you got me.

He is what his record says he is.

20-12 regular season, 0-1 in the playoffs.

I would guess that the number of teams in the last two years that have won at least 20 games and won at least one playoff games, would be only a few teams. Worst case what does his record say he is, a top eight coach?

Surely not an idiot.

But I'll agree that if he is 6-10 this year, your argument has merit.

What would he need to do in year three to change your mind?

Your mind is able to be changed right?
rumply
I've had a reasonably successful life so far & have made bucket loads of mistakes - as the quote says - "The Person Who Never Makes a Mistake Will Never Make Anything"

I agree those couple of on-field decisions last season were horrible & I trust he has learnt from those, but the rest of that list of 'mistakes' could probably be attributed to any other coach in the league in one way or another by just changing the names.
Spock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 29 2015, 09:33 PM) *
....................What would he need to do in year three to change your mind?

Your mind is able to be changed right?

Yes, it can be changed.

Year 3 began already in FA and the draft and so far, he still seems like an idiot to me. So really, you mean in the "rest of year 3".....

Hard for me to give you an exact formula, but things that come to mind include....

1. Getting Mathis back for the same or less than he was making before he got cut. He is still a FA.
2. Righting the on-field wrongs detailed above.
3. Making it at least to the NFCCG.
4. Stop treating the fans, and by extension, the media like children.
5. Cutting Tebow
6. Pulling of a trade between now and Sept to improve the OL (without giving away the farm)

I will edit this post as I think of more possibilities....
mcnabbulous
If you think one of the most respected minds in football is an idiot...you're probably an idiot. The guy has won 20 games with a combination of Vick, Foles and Samchez playing QB.

He's practically a wizard.
nephillymike
FWIW, I looked it up.

Chip's record says he is a top 11 coach in the NFL.

Teams that won >= 20 regular season games the last two years AND won a playoff game:

25 - SEA, DEN,
24 - NE
22 - IND
20 - GB, DAL, SF

So 7 teams have won at least 20 games and won a playoff game

And among the non playoff winners:

21 - ARI, CIN
20 - KC, PHI
Phits
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 29 2015, 08:29 PM) *

It's probably better that you stay sleeping.
Zero
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 29 2015, 09:42 PM) *
Yes, it can be changed.

Year 3 began already in FA and the draft and so far, he still seems like an idiot to me. So really, you mean in the "rest of year 3".....

Hard for me to give you an exact formula, but things that come to mind include....

1. Getting Mathis back for the same or less than he was making before he got cut. He is still a FA.
5. Cutting Tebow
6. Pulling of a trade between now and Sept to improve the OL (without giving away the farm)

Two years isn't a large enough sample to declare any coach either an idiot or a genius, IMO.

I don't think trading McCoy for Alonzo, Murray and Mathews makes him an idiot. Alonzo seems to be the real deal but there's risk to Murray and Mathews staying healthy. Adding Maxwell was a necessary move albeit at a pretty big price tag. Letting Andy 'reclaim' Maclin was something that could have happened in any organization. Drafting Agholor, Rowe and Shepherd seem like pretty good picks so far. No definition of 'idiot' so far, IMO.

No chance of Mathis coming back to the team he felt dissed him. Another risk, but they did just sign Moffitt and there's been plenty of viable opinions provided that guards are the least difficult to replace on an OL.

I think you meant 'stop treating the media, and by extension the fans, like children.' I've never been one who's bothered by how a coach interacts with the press. Their job is to win games not make me feel warm and fuzzy or give the competition information.

My guess is that Tebow will either contribute in some meaningful way or not be here.
BirdsWinBaby

yea you are alone on this one...this fanbase really wants a winner. Chip seems like the guy so we are willing to make some concessions to further our hopes

i submit that if Chip coaches this team back to the playoffs but DOES NOT win a game, this fanbase is primed and ready to consider that progress. yea i know that he did that a couple years ago, but since we didnt make it last year Chip gets the mulligan

If we actually win a SINGLE playoff game (then bounced).....Chip's way will gain confirmation and there is nothing but trophies yet to come

keep in mind that the NFL is trying to expand the playoff field by 2 more bad teams. they do that, Chip gets his playoff win no matter what and the wild ride begins
xsv
The ONLY one of your factors that have a irrefutable impact on success is making it to the NFCCG. The rest of your list is completely subjective as to what *you* think it would take to be successful. And forgive me for saying so, but I'd have to give the coach's way of doing things a little more credibility than I would yours.

That said, I agree, making it to the NFCCG is mandatory, although I'd give him 2 years to do it. If he can't do it by next year, I'd fire him, period.

Yes, it can be changed.

5. Cutting Tebow

mcnabbulous
The whole NFCCG expectation is pretty ridiculous at this time. We've basically remade our entire roster since Chip's arrival. I think Bradford is going to thrive here, but we should probably wait to see what we have from him before setting any expectations. Regardless, we had to move on from Foles, who was taking us no where.

The bottom line is this: When Chip arrived, our defense was in absolute dire straights. He has completely turned it around and rightfully shifted resources from two assholes and one highly paid guard to the defensive side of the ball.

Our defense will be better this year. Our offense will be better this year. We still play in a conference with Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. Until there is a viable reason to believe we are more talented than those two teams, the expectation of an NFCCG is unreasonable.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 30 2015, 10:54 AM) *
The whole NFCCG expectation is pretty ridiculous at this time. We've basically remade our entire roster since Chip's arrival. I think Bradford is going to thrive here, but we should probably wait to see what we have from him before setting any expectations. Regardless, we had to move on from Foles, who was taking us no where.

The bottom line is this: When Chip arrived, our defense was in absolute dire straights. He has completely turned it around and rightfully shifted resources from two assholes and one highly paid guard to the defensive side of the ball.

Our defense will be better this year. Our offense will be better this year. We still play in a conference with Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. Until there is a viable reason to believe we are more talented than those two teams, the expectation of an NFCCG is unreasonable.

You forgot to mention that our fan base has been spoiled into thinking that NFL success is easy. It's the Andy Reid curse.

It's year 3 of the Chip era, and there has been no down time. Year 1 fooled many of us into believing that we were closer to contention than we actually were. Year 2 corrected that fallacy.

In Year 3, Chip has laid the foundation for his team. The only problem facing us is whether our QB problem is solved. If Bradford is indeed the second coming, we will be closer to contending. However, if he isn't the answer we still need a franchise QB to hang our hat on.

As of this moment, I like the make-up of the team, though we still need to prove ourselves in key positions.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 30 2015, 09:54 AM) *

Chip is responsible for the D's poor play in his first two years. He selected the coach and signed the awesome defensive backfield of Chung, Phillips, Fletcher and Sconces.

This guy was STILL defending these clowns at the end of last year for the most piss poor defensive back play I have ever seen. WHY? Because he picked them, including his DC. This was even after Sconces blamed him (and everyone else) for his poor play.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/transactions.html

That being said, I set the satisfaction bar at at least one playoff win one year and an NFCCG appearance or better in the other year. He's in year three. No mulligan for a roster remake from me. He had a shitload of cap space, three years of draft picks and free agency and inherited a nice offensive talent core. No excuses.

Get it done!!
Phits
-deleted
mcnabbulous
Our defensive struggles are directly the result of the prior regime's inability to draft defensive talent. The reason our defensive backfield sucks isn't because of Chip's piecemeal plan. It's because the cupboard was bare when he got here.

To put it in perspective, Nate Allen is the second best DB Andy and Co. drafted since Lito and Sheldon.

Sconces sucks, but he's not here anymore. Actions speak louder than words.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 30 2015, 06:55 PM) *
Chip is responsible for the D's poor play in his first two years. He selected the coach and signed the awesome defensive backfield of Chung, Phillips, Fletcher and Sconces.

This guy was STILL defending these clowns at the end of last year for the most piss poor defensive back play I have ever seen. WHY? Because he picked them, including his DC. This was even after Sconces blamed him (and everyone else) for his poor play.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/transactions.html

That being said, I set the satisfaction bar at at least one playoff win one year and an NFCCG appearance or better in the other year. He's in year three. No mulligan for a roster remake from me. He had a shitload of cap space, three years of draft picks and free agency and inherited a nice offensive talent core. No excuses.

Get it done!!

I think the defense of those clowns was a coaching strategy to try to get some semblance of play from them down the stretch.....what was the other option? tell them and the press that they suck?

They had a limited amount of talent to work with on D and it showed....I do blame Chip for an apparently suspect DB coach....that one was a shock....
Joegrane
This is a rebuilding year. Next year will still be a rebuilding year after the loss of the two OGs and the upcoming loss of Kendricks, Boykin and probably Cooper. I'm waiting to see how they will be playing at the end of next year--2016-17-- before being judgmental.

He did more than okay with Andy's players. Let's see what he does with his players.

He'll not likely win a SB because they'll not be bad enough to be drafting high enough.

Eyrie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 1 2015, 04:18 AM) *
This is a rebuilding year. Next year will still be a rebuilding year after the loss of the two OGs and the upcoming loss of Kendricks, Boykin and probably Cooper. I'm waiting to see how they will be playing at the end of next year--2016-17-- before being judgmental.

Two OGs - very appropriate since it was a definite own goal not to have two replacements lined up. Let's hope that we can find a solid starter from Barbre and the camp fodder so that we can take a G in round 2 or 3 next year if we don't add a quality FA.

Kendricks - Taking Hicks in round 3 makes him vulnerable if Ryans is good for another couple of seasons simply because of the cap that would be committed to ILB.

Boykin - I'd agree he's in his last year, which may be why we drafted two CBs in the sixth round.

Cooper - I'm not sure I'd describe him as a loss, especially if Huff improves this season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.