Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles reportedly sign offensive guard John Moffitt
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
rumply
http://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-reported...g-john-moffitt/

According to Ross Jones of FOX Sports, the Eagles have signed former Seahawks and Broncos OG John Moffitt. (Thanks for breaking this an hour before the NBA Draft, Ross).

#Eagles set to sign offensive guard John Moffitt to one-year deal, source tells @FOXSports.

Ross Jones (@RossJonesFOX) June 25, 2015

Moffitt retired from football to go to rehab for drug use, but he worked his way back in shape and un-retired. Jay Glazer of FOX Sports tweeted about Moffitt after his announcement to un-retire:

"I have never been so proud of a guy I've trained than I am of John Moffitt. Retired two years ago bc he knew he had drug issues, took time to go to rehab, clean up his life, beat his demons and he has taken his life back! Guy inspires us every day. He came to me 3 months ago @unbreakable to train to take his career back. He's become the favorite of every player in our gym. He officially un-retired today. Free agent starting guard. So proud of him to get here."
The Eagles desperately need OL help, and Moffitt makes sense as a guy who can push for a starting spot at guard.
mcnabbulous
He will probably turn into an all-pro because playing guard isn't very hard (comparatively)
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 26 2015, 02:17 AM) *
He will probably turn into an all-pro because playing guard isn't very hard (comparatively)

But by that logic surely every G is All-Pro standard?

I'd regard Moffitt as a long shot but a nice story if he can return to playing having overcome his issues.
Joegrane
At least this gives them some veteran depth. I'm glad this happened before camp. He'll have time to get into shape and learn the offense. I assumed the Eagles would have to settle for a veteran released after preseason.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 26 2015, 01:20 PM) *
But by that logic surely every G is All-Pro standard?

If you're capable of starting, you have a chance of being an all-pro at guard. Especially depending on who is playing to your right and left.
nephillymike
Good story, hope it works out.

Right now, I'd be happy if we signed Eyrie at OG, given our depth.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 26 2015, 09:29 PM) *
If you're capable of starting, you have a chance of being an all-pro at guard. Especially depending on who is playing to your right and left.

But the same could be said of any position. It's easier to look good at WR when you have a good QB passing the ball, but that QB looks to be good because he has a good WR to pass to.

It can also work the other way for units. Your point about the OL only being as good as its weakest link can equally apply to the DL or secondary.

My concern remains that, other than Johnson, Kelly hasn't paid any attention to the OL. I'm not demanding a G with a top ten pick overall (I forget who on here wanted Womack) but I would have expected a mid-round pick or quality FA rather than picking up a couple of guys from the scrap heap after the draft is over.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 27 2015, 02:25 AM) *
Good story, hope it works out.

Right now, I'd be happy if we signed Eyrie at OG, given our depth.

Right now, someone who is six foot nothing, weighs 145lbs, has never played football in his life and would lose an arm wrestle to a toddler still has a chance of making our team at G.

And with help from Kelce and Johnson I'm looking forward to becoming All-Pro! laugh.gif
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 27 2015, 09:08 AM) *
Right now, someone who is six foot nothing, weighs 145lbs, has never played football in his life and would lose an arm wrestle to a toddler still has a chance of making our team at G.

Not only that if you were to be the starter you would have a legitimate shot at being an all-pro.
Pila
Low risk, high reward. Excellent signing.
JeeQ
The 28-year-old Moffitt has faced legal troubles and been charged with assault, public urination and possession of marijuana, cocaine and ecstasy.

Culture
BKRuger
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Jun 30 2015, 05:20 PM) *
Culture

Imagine seeing a 6'4" 320 lb. NFL o-lineman pissing on your car. "Umm excuse me, sir..?"
SLOiggles
Supposedly he's been working his butt off with Jay Glazer getting back into shape. Seems like he's really trying to get his life back together. I agree with Pila. Minimal risk and potentially a starting guard. At worst, he's cut and we're in the same position as the day after Mathis was cut
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 26 2015, 03:29 PM) *

Our experience with that suggests otherwise. Romo has been a different QB since we got Fredericks, Martin, and Leary so that the inside of the line stopped caving in on him.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jul 3 2015, 02:19 AM) *
Our experience with that suggests otherwise. Romo has been a different QB since we got Fredericks, Martin, and Leary so that the inside of the line stopped caving in on him.

You're just confusing the issue by introducing facts.

There has to be a sub-conscious impact on Bradford of knowing that he has two weak links in front of him.
mcnabbulous
Once again, people are confusing trash for starting caliber. What they had previously was trash. They have since spent premium draft picks to rectify that.

They had weak links, but you don't need all-pros.
BKRuger
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.