Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Admins
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I think it is time that two things are done:

1. We put all religious posts on the G & G board, with strict adherence to that policy

2. We put posts with insulting pictures of a God that some people around here believe in on the same G & G forum. That policy should be the same no matter which God is in the pictures.

That way, if I don't want to see that shit, I know to avoid the G & G forum.

Also, we have a warning system, use it. If someone is hijacking football posts, warn them to get the behavior and common courtesy that that we've had here for all these years. I am not only talking about hijacking football posts with religious stuff, I am talking about hijacking a post about a football topic with another football topic that the thread was not started for.

It's not been fun and as a guy who's been around for a long while, I think it's time to fix it and make it a good place to hang out. It would be a shame to lose good posters.
Zero
Yep. I get there's dead time but some of this stuff has been way over the line. G&G is the place for it.
D Rock
I have to laud the admins for their even handed approach here. I personally find the image in question to be less inappropriate than I do the reactionary response to it.

It was just this year that we saw people shot and killed over zealot outrage to a satirical image of a religious figure.

I won't disagree with moving the whole shooting match over to the G&G, and in fact suggested it be done weeks ago.

Where I appreciate the admins is, in not shunning the image alone, while allowing the gretater "discussion" to continue. That would have been wrong. You didn't do that, and I for one think that's great.

Right or wrong, I'm sure we can all appreciate the consistency.
Pila
I agree on all counts with DRock. Fantastic job by the admins. And excellent point noting on what side the problem lies when offense is taken by an image posted by the infidel...

Is the issue here the meme? Or the insecurity of the faithful?

Zero
So, even though this is a football forum and there have been objections voiced by long standing members to that type of image, you will repeat the offense? You're free to think and feel however you like, but I'm confused why you would intentionally disrespect those who find it offensive.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 24 2015, 01:43 PM) *
So, even though this is a football forum and there have been objections voiced by long standing members to that type of image, you will repeat the offense? You're free to think and feel however you like, but I'm confused why you would intentionally disrespect those who find it offensive.

Don't confuse ideas for people. I respect individuals and people. Ideas, beliefs and notions are not people. Ideas, beliefs and notions which outrage reason deserve scrutiny, and derision parallel to the its level of absurdity.

I respect you, Zero. I hold you, as an individual to great value and respect. But I don't owe your ideas, your beliefs, or any sensitivities that you hold for ideas or beliefs anything. And vice versa.

"If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth."
-Carl Sagan
JeeQ
I disagree and think the Admins here are a laughable joke... they issue warnings for gay jokes directed at people but are fine with images with the words fag and pictures of Jesus buttfucking each other directed solely at people to insult them and disrespect them; even after they've asked multiple times nicely to stop... makes a lot of sense Admins... evenhanded my ass; they're full of shit and they know it but it's their board and they can do what they what with it

It's fine to disrespect and insult people here as long as you insult and disrespect the right people... I hear you loud and clear Admins wub.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (Pila @ Jun 24 2015, 03:24 PM) *
Don't confuse ideas for people. I respect individuals and people. Ideas, beliefs and notions are not people. Ideas, beliefs and notions which outrage reason deserve scrutiny, and derision parallel to the its level of absurdity.

I respect you, Zero. I hold you, as an individual to great value and respect. But I don't owe your ideas, your beliefs, or any sensitivities that you hold for ideas or beliefs anything. And vice versa.

"If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth."
-Carl Sagan

While I agree, and have agreed, and have suggested weeks ago this whole mess be moved to the G&G, Pila is 100% right with this.

Like I tell my 8 year old all the time. "You have the power to either let it bother you, or roll of your back" with regards to his older sister's treatment of him, and his perceived persecution by her. I tell him, "you know you're not a jerk, right?" He says "right." "Then why do you care that she called you a 'jerk?" "You're better than that." "Don't give her that power."

It was a satirical image. It didn't cause anyone any pain, unless they allowed it to. I would ask you guys "how this is ANY different than muslim reactions to cartoon images of their prophet or burning of Koran?"
Phits
He is purposefully antagonizing those that are offended by the images for amusement. And then did it again, once the offended admitted to being such.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 24 2015, 01:10 PM) *
While I agree, and have agreed, and have suggested weeks ago this whole mess be moved to the G&G, Pila is 100% right with this.

Like I tell my 8 year old all the time. "You have the power to either let it bother you, or roll of your back" with regards to his older sister's treatment of him, and his perceived persecution by her. I tell him, "you know you're not a jerk, right?" He says "right." "Then why do you care that she called you a 'jerk?" "You're better than that." "Don't give her that power."

It was a satirical image. It didn't cause anyone any pain, unless they allowed it to. I would ask you guys "how this is ANY different than muslim reactions to cartoon images of their prophet or burning of Koran?"

D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 24 2015, 06:18 PM) *
He is purposefully antagonizing those that are offended by the images for amusement. And then did it again, once the offended admitted to being such.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. I'm fully aware of that.

To the offended, I'll say what I tell my 8 year old.

"You are better than that." "Buck up little soldier, don't give it that power."

JeeQ
Dear Admins,

Let's see how evenhanded you truly are
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 24 2015, 01:22 PM) *
Thanks, Captain Obvious. I'm fully aware of that.

To the offended, I'll say what I tell my 8 year old.

"You are better than that." "Buck up little soldier, don't give it that power."

Perhaps you should also telling your daughter that respect is the cornerstone to civilization. Tell her that the likelihood for somebody retaliating aggressively grows exponentially when they feel disrespected.

The images are offensive. Even if you don't abide by the faith, common sense should prevail.
CT_Eagle
I rarely wade into these topics but it is a slow day at work so what the hell.

What are the differences between the following:

Images of Mohamed
Images of the confederate flag
Images of Jesus having anal sex

Absolutely nothing. They are images and they only have the power that you give them.

That being said, I do not offer up these images because I know many find them offensive. I choose to express my views, whenever possible, without belittling or offending others with a different point of view. IMO we should all strive for civility over rancor.
Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jun 24 2015, 01:39 PM) *

Images of Mohamed

Absolutely nothing. They are images and they only have the power that you give them.

That being said, I do not offer up these images because I know many find them offensive. I choose to express my views, whenever possible, without belittling or offending others with a different point of view. IMO we should all strive for civility over rancor.

cheers.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 24 2015, 06:36 PM) *
Perhaps you should also telling your daughter that respect is the cornerstone to civilization. Tell her that the likelihood for somebody retaliating aggressively grows exponentially when they feel disrespected.

The images are offensive. Even if you don't abide by the faith, common sense should prevail.

With all due respect, I'll not be requiring of parenting advice from you, old friend.

Of course there are consequences to her mis deeds. But that doesn't change the reality that he, and ONLY he has the power to let it bother him or not. That is common sense.
D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jun 24 2015, 06:39 PM) *

Images of Mohamed

Spot on, CT. Spot on.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 24 2015, 06:40 PM) *
cheers.gif

So, you agree when CT say it. But when I say it, you disagree.

Got it.

Pila
The cornerstone of a free, civil society is understanding that ideas and beliefs will differ, some will be shocking and be deemed offensive. The maturity of civilizationis in the evolution of how we handle it. Not in the adjustment of the content it might find exposed.

Ideas are human concepts that exist in the abstract. You're free to hold your own in high regard, but I, or anyone, don't owe it anything. I don't need ir "hafta" respect it anymore than you have to with mine.

Make fun of atheists. My momma. My wife, my children, who are my gODs. And pay particular attention how a civilized individual handles it. Go ahead. I'm confident they won't care. They're clearly better equipped to handle criticism or parity better than these fragile, omnipotent divinities, saying nothing of their meek flock.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 24 2015, 01:43 PM) *
So, you agree when CT say it. But when I say it, you disagree.

Got it.

D, I never disagreed with your comments. You elaborated by providing an example and I commented on your example. You called it parenting advice.

Also CT said the following:
I do not offer up these images because I know many find them offensive. I choose to express my views, whenever possible, without belittling or offending others with a different point of view. IMO we should all strive for civility over rancor.

Which is in line with what I posted.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Pila @ Jun 24 2015, 05:59 PM) *
The cornerstone of a free, civil society is understanding that ideas and beliefs will differ, some will be shocking and be deemed offensive. The maturity of civilizationis in the evolution of how we handle it. Not in the adjustment of the content it might find exposed.

Ideas are human concepts that exist in the abstract. You're free to hold your own in high regard, but I, or anyone, don't owe it anything. I don't need not hafta respect it anymore than you have to with mine.

Make fun of atheists. My momma. My wife, my children, who are my gODs. And pay particular attention how a civilized individual handles it. Go ahead.

You mom wears combat boots.

biggrin.gif
Phits
If you purposefully antagonize a person or group with your words or actions, that isn't being civil.

civ·il (ˈsiv(ə)l/) adjective
1. of or relating to ordinary citizens and their concerns, as distinct from military or ecclesiastical matters.
"civil aviation"
synonyms: secular, nonreligious, lay; More
2. courteous and polite.
"we tried to be civil to him"
synonyms: polite, courteous, well mannered, well bred, chivalrous, gallant; More

ci·vil·i·ty (səˈvilədē/) noun
formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech.
"I hope we can treat each other with civility and respect"
synonyms: courtesy, courteousness, politeness, good manners, graciousness, consideration, respect, politesse, comity
"he treated me with civility"

QUOTE (Pila @ Jun 24 2015, 01:59 PM) *

Ideas are human concepts that exist in the abstract. You're free to hold your own in high regard, but I, or anyone, don't owe it anything. I don't need ir "hafta" respect it anymore than you have to with mine.

Make fun of atheists. My momma. My wife, my children, who are my gODs. And pay particular attention how a civilized individual handles it. Go ahead. I'm confident they won't care. They're clearly better equipped to handle criticism or parity better than these fragile, omnipotent divinities, saying nothing of their meek flock.

american_champion
Perhaps you should also telling your daughter that respect is the cornerstone to civilization. Tell her that the likelihood for somebody retaliating aggressively grows exponentially when they feel disrespecte

Exactly Phits.. Great point.. Too few parents enstill respect in their offspring.. Then the liberal idiots wonder why they have to get taught lessons by police.. How about stop the thug criminal attitude.. God Bless.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (american_champion @ Jun 24 2015, 07:24 PM) *
Exactly Phits.. Great point.. Too few parents enstill respect in their offspring.. Then the liberal idiots

Things that make you hmm...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.