Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concerns
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
eagleaddict
1. Obviously QB health and play is the biggest concern. I can't imagine Bradford coming in fully healthy and acclimated and Sanchez is decent, but not great. If they are injured or play poorly, Chip gets one more year on a tighter leash with a high draft pick.

2. OL depth is next for obvious reasons.

3. Defensive backfield is addition by subtraction, but still an issue for me. It hinges on an injured player switching positions and a rookie. More needed to be done here.

4. Matthews is good, but not a number one. What is the WR depth chart?

I have:

Matthews
Agholor
Austin
Huff
Cooper
Ajirotutu

"Time's yours"
Eyrie
I'd swap your first two round because protecting Bradford is that important.

We'll normally have three WRs on the field so I'd think that the first choices will be Agholor, Cooper and Mathews, although Cooper is the one at risk from Huff and Austin. Ajirotutu will be here mainly for STs.

And my other concern is the depth at OLB. The team is obviously high on Graham, and Barwin is Barwin, but after that there is Smith and a couple of STers. If Smith can't step up then we have a problem.
eagleaddict
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 21 2015, 02:59 PM) *
And my other concern is the depth at OLB. The team is obviously high on Graham, and Barwin is Barwin, but after that there is Smith and a couple of STers. If Smith can't step up then we have a problem.

I hadn't even noticed that - good thing ILB is stocked.
nephillymike
My concerns:

1. Starting OG's and OL depth. Being a running team, we've lost two pretty good run blockers and guys who were deemed better in '14 then the guys we replaced them with this year. OL's get injured in the big majority of years. I think we are more vulnerable this year than any other year since the real early Andy years to OL injuries. It all starts up front.

2. Bradford. Not so much the injury risk, but the risk that he is what his stats say he is; a bottom tier starter in the NFL with a lifetime passer rating of 79 and a winning percentage below 40%. Maybe with the curve that QB's have under Chip, he's a mid to high 80's guy after the Chip bump. I think he will be more than that as the skill set seems to be there in practice, but the biggest criticism I've heard from my STL guy was he was way too rushed and jittery in the pocket and there is nothing we've seen so far to indicate that's not the case. If that is what he is, neither he nor Sanchez will get us deep in the playoffs. Again, I think he will be better but the Parcels words of wisdom do concern me with him.

3. Billy Davis. We've seen last year that a guy who sucked for us went to NE and was good enough to start and get an extension. What if our defensive inadequacies are coaching related? I still have nightmares of how any DC can put Fletcher on Bryant one on one repeatedly and think that is a good scheme. He say all the right things and seems like a good guy but maybe, like Bradford, his career stats as a DC ARE a reflection of his skills.

4. That Dallas' draft and FA risks pay off. I had Byron Jones, Gregory being nice values where they were picked. La'El Collins as an UDFA seems like a no brainer and Hardy is a talent, albeit a bad seed. Add in Dez Bryant and if they are able to make him happy, then when we line up on Sundays against them, they have the better team. Wouldn't it be great if they pulled a Chip and cut his ass? I thought last year, we were the better team and if not for the schedule difference we win the division. With our less than stellar off season, if their risky moves pay off, they are better, even after the edge I give us with Chip at HC. If their moves don't pay off, and ours don't blow up, we should be the better team this year.

5. With all the new additions and people coming back from injury, we don't hit the ground running and there are growing pains which cost us a game or two in the first half of the schedule.
eagleaddict
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 21 2015, 05:31 PM) *
My concerns:

1. Starting OG's and OL depth. Being a running team, we've lost two pretty good run blockers and guys who were deemed better in '14 then the guys we replaced them with this year. OL's get injured in the big majority of years. I think we are more vulnerable this year than any other year since the real early Andy years to OL injuries. It all starts up front.

2. Bradford. Not so much the injury risk, but the risk that he is what his stats say he is; a bottom tier starter in the NFL with a lifetime passer rating of 79 and a winning percentage below 40%. Maybe with the curve that QB's have under Chip, he's a mid to high 80's guy after the Chip bump. I think he will be more than that as the skill set seems to be there in practice, but the biggest criticism I've heard from my STL guy was he was way too rushed and jittery in the pocket and there is nothing we've seen so far to indicate that's not the case. If that is what he is, neither he nor Sanchez will get us deep in the playoffs. Again, I think he will be better but the Parcels words of wisdom do concern me with him.

3. Billy Davis. We've seen last year that a guy who sucked for us went to NE and was good enough to start and get an extension. What if our defensive inadequacies are coaching related? I still have nightmares of how any DC can put Fletcher on Bryant one on one repeatedly and think that is a good scheme. He say all the right things and seems like a good guy but maybe, like Bradford, his career stats as a DC ARE a reflection of his skills.

4. That Dallas' draft and FA risks pay off. I had Byron Jones, Gregory being nice values where they were picked. La'El Collins as an UDFA seems like a no brainer and Hardy is a talent, albeit a bad seed. Add in Dez Bryant and if they are able to make him happy, then when we line up on Sundays against them, they have the better team. Wouldn't it be great if they pulled a Chip and cut his ass? I thought last year, we were the better team and if not for the schedule difference we win the division. With our less than stellar off season, if their risky moves pay off, they are better, even after the edge I give us with Chip at HC. If their moves don't pay off, and ours don't blow up, we should be the better team this year.

5. With all the new additions and people coming back from injury, we don't hit the ground running and there are growing pains which cost us a game or two in the first half of the schedule.

I sometimes wonder if billy (and/or Chip) never wanted those two clowns at CB. Maybe someone was trying to make a point by committing to them which ended up giving Chip personnel power.

Dallas scares me - I wanted half of their draft picks, but I'm happy with our top 2. Still worried about that 3rd rounder but hopefully he's a surprise.

I'm worried about chemistry. Culture is great off the field but you need some solid time to gel as a unit, whether it's in the backfield or oline. Counting on too many successful returns from injury.
nephillymike
QUOTE (eagleaddict @ Jun 21 2015, 04:42 PM) *
I sometimes wonder if billy (and/or Chip) never wanted those two clowns at CB. Maybe someone was trying to make a point by committing to them which ended up giving Chip personnel power.

Dallas scares me - I wanted half of their draft picks, but I'm happy with our top 2. Still worried about that 3rd rounder but hopefully he's a surprise.

I'm worried about chemistry. Culture is great off the field but you need some solid time to gel as a unit, whether it's in the backfield or oline. Counting on too many successful returns from injury.

I too am concerned about our 3rd rounder. Also throw in the 7th too.

There were others rated much higher than either of those two. But with Hicks, he isn't supposed to contribute much this year so no heat is on him. We coul dhave had him in the 5th and maybe gotten some OL help in the third, only drafted one Cb in the 6th and gotten another OL in the 7th and still got Mihalick as an UDFA.

But even if Hicks is a bust, we should be OK at LB regardless of whether we keep Smith.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 21 2015, 10:57 PM) *
I too am concerned about our 3rd rounder. Also throw in the 7th too.

There were others rated much higher than either of those two. But with Hicks, he isn't supposed to contribute much this year so no heat is on him. We coul dhave had him in the 5th and maybe gotten some OL help in the third, only drafted one Cb in the 6th and gotten another OL in the 7th and still got Mihalick as an UDFA.

But even if Hicks is a bust, we should be OK at LB regardless of whether we keep Smith.

ILB, yes - Ryans, Kendricks and Alonso is a nice trio to rotate.

We are not OK at OLB if Smith struggles to justify game time.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 21 2015, 02:59 PM) *
I'd swap your first two round because protecting Bradford is that important....

I agree. O Line will allow the running game to thrive, take some pressure off of the passing game and help the D due to use of the clock.

I'd also put secondary ahead of QBs. I fear big mistakes by the secondary will give up long TDs while they learn the system and each other. Also I think Bradford is not likely to initially be any better than Sanchez so QB depth makes me less concerned about that position than O Line and secondary.

I agree that QBs are more important than WRs because the group of receivers will not give these QBs the kind of throwing windows that DJax provided to N Foles in 2013.

How much pressure will the front 4 produce without blitzing? If they can be effective, the weak secondary will not be as exposed.
american_champion
2. OL depth is next for obvious reasons.

I'm in the camp that thinks Barbre is every bit the lineman as Mathis.. Which means we are replacing Todd Herremans.. I think Chip can find a young hungry guy who can fill the void.. But still a legitimate concern..

3. Defensive backfield is addition by subtraction, but still an issue for me. It hinges on an injured player switching positions and a rookie. More needed to be done here.

More may be needed.. But Maxwell, Rowe and Boykin are a solid CB tandem.. And from what I'm hearing.. Walter Thurmond and JaCorey Shephard are making plays consistently.. We all know what we get with Malcolm.. I like our secondary.. A ton more than last season..

4. Matthews is good, but not a number one. What is the WR depth chart?

I have:

Matthews
Agholor
Austin
Huff
Cooper
Ajirotutu

The Depth Chart will be:
1. (Outside).. Riley Cooper
2. (Outside)Nelson Agholor
3. (Slot) Jordan Matthews
4. Huff or Austin (Huff presumably)
5. Huff, Austin or Ajirotutu (Austin presumably)
6. Huff, Austin or Ajirotutu (Ajirotutu presumably)

I'm still interested in how our LB core will be used and rotated.. In particular, Kiko, Kendricks and DeMeco.. Will 1 of them play outside at times?.. God Bless
Zero
QUOTE (american_champion @ Jun 22 2015, 04:03 PM) *
I'm in the camp that thinks Barbre is every bit the lineman as Mathis.. Which means we are replacing Todd Herremans.. I think Chip can find a young hungry guy who can fill the void.. But still a legitimate concern..

More may be needed.. But Maxwell, Rowe and Boykin are a solid CB tandem.. And from what I'm hearing.. Walter Thurmond and JaCorey Shephard are making plays consistently.. We all know what we get with Malcolm.. I like are secondary.. A ton more than last season..

The Depth Chart will be:
1. (Outside).. Riley Cooper
2. (Outside)Nelson Agholor
3. (Slot) Jordan Matthews
4. Huff or Austin (Huff presumably)
5. Huff, Austin or Ajirotutu (Austin presumably)
6. Huff, Austin or Ajirotutu (Ajirotutu presumably)

I'm still interested in how our LB core will be used and rotated.. In particular, Kiko, Kendricks and DeMeco.. Will 1 of them play outside at times?.. God Bless
Mathis and Herremans were both getting older and beginning to have repeated injury issues. Both were guards who are a lot easier to replace than tackles. I had posted a reprint of a speech Kelly once gave (USC, I think) where he said the OL was the key to the offense but his players in Oregon were essentially UDFA (I think he said they weren't offered scholarships anywhere). I'm worried about the depth but I'm anxious to see what the offense does with what appears to be a weak link.

By mid-season the receiving group should be better than acceptable, especially if Ertz can be what people are saying he should be this year and if Celek has another year or two of solid production in him. Both Murray and Mathews are good receivers and Sproles should see more passes.

The OL is what has me concerned otherwise I think the team could be scary good.
Eagle2720
I'm not too worried about OLB depth, I know Graham and Barwin are the big names and Smith is still our project, but don't forget that Kiko and Kendricks both came in as hybrid linebackers and if I could remember correctly I'm pretty sure that Kendricks started off at OLB with us, so I think whichever of the two aren't in at ILB at the time and say Graham or Barwin need a break, one of them can always sub in for a few plays. I'd love to see Kendricks and his speed coming off the edge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.