Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long Article on Chip
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/chip-kelly-eagles/
Zero
Nice article. Thanks.
eagleaddict
Good stuff - thanks.
mcnabbulous
I'm pretty vocally against the old guard NFL. Couldn't be happier about having Chip as our coach.

Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 21 2015, 10:29 AM) *

Let me ask you a question Mike (not that I see you as one who have purported this notion)

Given what you have read and learned about Chip so far, do you think that he is even considering the possibility of going back to college if he does not succeed with the birds?

Apart from the obvious fact that he is obsessed with his Eagles now and doesn't have time to consider exit strategies, I honestly believe he would consider a return to college FB as a failure to achieve his real goal. If he doesn't succeed here then he will go to another NFL team before taking a step backward.

Your thoughts?

Jeezuz! Could you imagine him replacing Belicheat in NE?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Jun 21 2015, 05:12 PM) *
Let me ask you a question Mike (not that I see you as one who have purported this notion)

Given what you have read and learned about Chip so far, do you think that he is even considering the possibility of going back to college if he does not succeed with the birds?

Apart from the obvious fact that he is obsessed with his Eagles now and doesn't have time to consider exit strategies, I honestly believe he would consider a return to college FB as a failure to achieve his real goal. If he doesn't succeed here then he will go to another NFL team before taking a step backward.

Your thoughts?

Jeezuz! Could you imagine him replacing Belicheat in NE?

Good question. Real good question.

Well, I think we have to remember that the biggest reason we got Chip was because of the Oregon sanctions, the result of things that happened on his watch. He turned down TB and turned us down once, then the sanctions hit and voila, here he is.

That being said, I think he chose the NFL under duress.

On the other hand, I think he now has the confidence that his offensive system can work at the highest levels and that may make him more likely to stay in the NFL. He's got a top three offensive system, that with a decent defense and strong ST's should be good enough to win.

However, he does not know whether or not his adherence to culture will win at high enough levels in the NFL. I rattled off a bunch of Eagles from the past who were great players for us but wouldn't make the Chip grade in another thread (TO, Trotter, Watters, Reggie, Randall, Joyner, Quick, Westbrook etc). These guys had a lot more to say against management and coaching than the guys we got rid off. I don't think he can mass enough talent of kumbaya singers to be able to jettison the type of talent I list above. And his return on investment for those he got rid of does not promote long term growth. I say his culture will not be good enough and in an NFL of grown men with short careers and a shit load of head cases, you need guys like some of them above to be able to compete at the highest levels. To me, Chip is too head strong to change his ways and will fail because of this and YES, he will eventually go back to college because of that shortcoming.

While it may not end pretty, it will be a fun and exciting ride.

He's hit the perfect city for his pit stop. Guys like me have lived a life time of fun rides with no payoff at the end. We're used to it and spend hours talking about it will still spend a shit load of money for the opportunity to ask for yet another whack of the paddle on the ass.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 21 2015, 06:32 PM) *
Good question. Real good question.

Well, I think we have to remember that the biggest reason we got Chip was because of the Oregon sanctions, the result of things that happened on his watch. He turned down TB and turned us down once, then the sanctions hit and voila, here he is.

That being said, I think he chose the NFL under duress.

On the other hand, I think he now has the confidence that his offensive system can work at the highest levels and that may make him more likely to stay in the NFL. He's got a top three offensive system, that with a decent defense and strong ST's should be good enough to win.

However, he does not know whether or not his adherence to culture will win at high enough levels in the NFL. I rattled off a bunch of Eagles from the past who were great players for us but wouldn't make the Chip grade in another thread (TO, Trotter, Watters, Reggie, Randall, Joyner, Quick, Westbrook etc). These guys had a lot more to say against management and coaching than the guys we got rid off. I don't think he can mass enough talent of kumbaya singers to be able to jettison the type of talent I list above. And his return on investment for those he got rid of does not promote long term growth. I say his culture will not be good enough and in an NFL of grown men with short careers and a shit load of head cases, you need guys like some of them above to be able to compete at the highest levels. To me, Chip is too head strong to change his ways and will fail because of this and YES, he will eventually go back to college because of that shortcoming.

While it may not end pretty, it will be a fun and exciting ride.

He's hit the perfect city for his pit stop. Guys like me have lived a life time of fun rides with no payoff at the end. We're used to it and spend hours talking about it will still spend a shit load of money for the opportunity to ask for yet another whack of the paddle on the ass.

I disagree, for a number of reasons. The first being something I read about him after year one, when he commented on how he hated spending time recruiting for college. He pointed out that in the NFL it is all football all the time. Recruiting pros is nothing like the college game, he really does spend all his time on developing his team, rather than spending months traveling around the country to drum up HS players.

The second, and more compelling reason I think, is his ability to adjust his schemes (on and off the field). So far none of the moves he has made have been factually detrimental to the team. He dumped Jackson and his 1300 yards, and Maclin stepped in filled that role. Some say he could not stretch the field like Jackson, fine, but Chip found a way to get those yards anyway. We were 10-6 with two QBs, each starting eight games, how many teams win double digit games with 2 starting QBs?

All that being said, I also see him as someone who takes big risks, but is also smart enough to adjust if it isn't working. This notion that he is so rigid he is bound to fail is not supported by facts. Right now he is instituting his way of doing things and he has yet to fail, so why not keep pushing the envelope? No where does that show he won't steer in another direction if the plan is not working, he adjusted his approach to the game when he joined the NFL, no reason to believe this is not just an evolutionary process for him.

I am hoping we are watching a shift in NFL paradigms because of him, just look at how many teams are scared of him already.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Jun 22 2015, 02:13 PM) *
I disagree, for a number of reasons. The first being something I read about him after year one, when he commented on how he hated spending time recruiting for college. He pointed out that in the NFL it is all football all the time. Recruiting pros is nothing like the college game, he really does spend all his time on developing his team, rather than spending months traveling around the country to drum up HS players.

The second, and more compelling reason I think, is his ability to adjust his schemes (on and off the field). So far none of the moves he has made have been factually detrimental to the team. He dumped Jackson and his 1300 yards, and Maclin stepped in filled that role. Some say he could not stretch the field like Jackson, fine, but Chip found a way to get those yards anyway. We were 10-6 with two QBs, each starting eight games, how many teams win double digit games with 2 starting QBs?

All that being said, I also see him as someone who takes big risks, but is also smart enough to adjust if it isn't working. This notion that he is so rigid he is bound to fail is not supported by facts. Right now he is instituting his way of doing things and he has yet to fail, so why not keep pushing the envelope? No where does that show he won't steer in another direction if the plan is not working, he adjusted his approach to the game when he joined the NFL, no reason to believe this is not just an evolutionary process for him.

I am hoping we are watching a shift in NFL paradigms because of him, just look at how many teams are scared of him already.

Good point about the recruiting.

Yes, Maclin came in and replaced Jackson's production. No problem with that. But what if a more flexible coach would have been able to keep BOTH last year, and instead of being the #2 WR, Cooper, the guy rated worst starting WR in the league last year, was demoted to #4 WR? Would the trio of Maclin, Jackson and Matthews been good enough to get us another win and a playoff berth? We can ask the same question with Mathis vs his replacement this year.

If you are telling me he will change in this area, becoming more flexible and realize he needs to do that to win it all, then I would change my mind and say he will stay because he will win. I don't think he will.

I hope you are right.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 22 2015, 07:33 PM) *
Good point about the recruiting.

Yes, Maclin came in and replaced Jackson's production. No problem with that. But what if a more flexible coach would have been able to keep BOTH last year, and instead of being the #2 WR, Cooper, the guy rated worst starting WR in the league last year, was demoted to #4 WR? Would the trio of Maclin, Jackson and Matthews been good enough to get us another win and a playoff berth? We can ask the same question with Mathis vs his replacement this year.

If you are telling me he will change in this area, becoming more flexible and realize he needs to do that to win it all, then I would change my mind and say he will stay because he will win. I don't think he will.

I hope you are right.

Let's talk about WRs...specifically regarding the cap. I don't think Kelly values WRs the way you do, again figuring in the cap. Maclin would have been an exception and was offered a big contract, but that was because he was also the consummate team guy. I honestly think Kelly knew he could find the kind of talent he wants at WR in the draft, and based on Mathew's performance last year and the acquisition of Algholor(?) I see a dominant WR core being built. Addf to that they both together cost half what just one of the other two are making...leaving $$$ to beef up other areas. You are anxious, Kelly is playing the long game. I'm enjoying all this, and rooting for Kelly all the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.