Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Week 1 Starting QB
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
A comment by G Mosher got me thinking about the starting QB for Week 1.
Im not going to sell you on Mark Sanchez as the Day 1 starter, but be prepared for its potential. Clearly, if Sam Bradford is healthy and productive this summer, hell win the job. But no one can say right now if Bradford will be either. Sanchez looked so much more confident and in command during the camps that hell make this competition a fair fight. Hell have to be lights-out better, but whos to say he wont be? This wont be like last summer, when Sanchez outperformed Foles in the preseason but Foles had already won the job from the year before...
http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadel...es-spring-camps

Three reasons to name Sanchez the starter for Week 1:

There is virtually NO chance the O Line will mesh well enough to protect the QB adequately and provide very good running lanes. Kelly needs to know if Bradford is worth paying big-time at the end of the year. He does not need Bradford to play every game, he just needs to keep him out of a wheel chair for most of the season.

Sanchez has shown the ability to get Ws against below average teams such as the Falcons. Let Bradford sit and continue to heal, not get the crap beaten out of him like Nick Foles did last year behind backup O Linemen.

In Week 2 Dallas comes to town. By starting Bradford in Week 2, Dallas would not have any regular season film on Bradford in Green.

Sanchez might have been the best backup QB in the league last year yet he resigned with the Eagles--for TWO years.
If Sanchez plays well again this year, and if Bradford and the #3 QB look solid, maybe Chip can get a pick for Sanchez and Mark can get a chance to start elsewhere else in 2016.

If Chip is hoping to trade Sanchez that would be a reason to keep Barkley as #3 and let Tebow sit in the ESPN booth. Next year Barkley and Tebow would be backups with experience in Chip's system.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 18 2015, 11:16 PM) *
A comment by G Mosher got me thinking about the starting QB for Week 1.

Three reasons to name Sanchez the starter for Week 1:

There is virtually NO chance the O Line will mesh well enough to protect the QB adequately and provide very good running lanes. Kelly needs to know if Bradford is worth paying big-time at the end of the year. He does not need Bradford to play every game, he just needs to keep him out of a wheel chair for most of the season.

Sanchez has shown the ability to get Ws against below average teams such as the Falcons. Let Bradford sit and continue to heal, not get the crap beaten out of him like Nick Foles did last year behind backup O Linemen.

In Week 2 Dallas comes to town. By starting Bradford in Week 2, Dallas would not have any regular season film on Bradford in Green.

Sanchez might have been the best backup QB in the league last year yet he resigned with the Eagles--for TWO years.
If Sanchez plays well again this year, and if Bradford and the #3 QB look solid, maybe Chip can get a pick for Sanchez and Mark can get a chance to start elsewhere else in 2016.

If Chip is hoping to trade Sanchez that would be a reason to keep Barkley as #3 and let Tebow sit in the ESPN booth. Next year Barkley and Tebow would be backups with experience in Chip's system.

That's possible, but I still think Kelly will play Bradford on opening week if he can. He's the guy getting the big money, and he certainly doesn't need Sanchez getting a big win in week one and causing a potential QB controversy so soon. He's going to want Bradford to win or lose the job before Sanchez takes the field, because it wouldn't take long for Philly fans to remember that Sanchez actually has a better won-loss record than Bradford, and Bradford is getting paid like a star for record that is nowhere near as good.

At least by the end of the season, you guys will know what direction you'll be going at QB next year. I don't see both Sanchez and Bradford staying, and you guys will know by then if you need to draft another one.
nephillymike
don't overlook that Atlanta game.

That game is a toss up.

Let the best guy play.

If Sanchez beats him out than that means two things:

1. Bradford is not even an average starting QB.
2. Sanchez may improve to be slightly above average, but there would still be no reason to clean a spot on the shelf for Lombardi. Start praying that Mariota is bad and work on a deal to get him here NEXT year.

But you know what? I show absolutely no preference for Bradford because of his salary or him coming off of injury. Best man plays. Guaranteed salaries are sunk coasts. Pick the best as of the last preseason and move on.

FWIW, if healthy, I think Bradford will beat out Sanchez, because I think that, even though he has done nothing to prove it in the NFL, Bradford has more skills and Sanchez is an average starting QB at best. Too many dumb turnovers that have plagued him so far.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 19 2015, 07:40 PM) *
don't overlook that Atlanta game.

That game is a toss up.

Let the best guy play.

If Sanchez beats him out than that means two things:

1. Bradford is not even an average starting QB.
2. Sanchez may improve to be slightly above average, but there would still be no reason to clean a spot on the shelf for Lombardi. Start praying that Mariota is bad and work on a deal to get him here NEXT year.

But you know what? I show absolutely no preference for Bradford because of his salary or him coming off of injury. Best man plays. Guaranteed salaries are sunk coasts. Pick the best as of the last preseason and move on.

FWIW, if healthy, I think Bradford will beat out Sanchez, because I think that, even though he has done nothing to prove it in the NFL, Bradford has more skills and Sanchez is an average starting QB at best. Too many dumb turnovers that have plagued him so far.

The ONLY way Bradford isn't under C in Atlanta is if he is hurt.

If he's healthy in camp there will be no competition to speak of, he is light years better than Sanchez.

It really is that simple.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Jun 20 2015, 10:07 PM) *
The ONLY way Bradford isn't under C in Atlanta is if he is hurt.

If he's healthy in camp there will be no competition to speak of, he is light years better than Sanchez.

It really is that simple.

Chip says otherwise, but he did say Boykin would get a chance to compete for the outside CB position an he's seen virtually no time there in the OTA's.

Last year Foles was named the starter and it was obvious to those who watched training camp and the preseason that Sanchez beat him out. Even in the regular season, Sanchez had better stats against tougher competition.

Chip says it is an open competition, and that it is an insult to those in the locker room if it isn't. He told Sanchez as much before he signed here.

Is Chip a liar, or is it an open competition?
Eyrie
Remember the old adage we had about not listening to what Reid said but watching what he actually did.

Coaches will always say positive things in public. Boykin is too short to be Kelly's idea of an outside CB. Sanchez will have a shot to compete for the starting job, but he'll get it only if Bradford is still not healthy or genuinely sucks so there isn't an open competition. Both players have been in the league long enough to know the true story.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 20 2015, 11:27 PM) *
Chip says otherwise, but he did say Boykin would get a chance to compete for the outside CB position an he's seen virtually no time there in the OTA's.

Last year Foles was named the starter and it was obvious to those who watched training camp and the preseason that Sanchez beat him out. Even in the regular season, Sanchez had better stats against tougher competition.

Chip says it is an open competition, and that it is an insult to those in the locker room if it isn't. He told Sanchez as much before he signed here.

You missed my point completely.

Yes it will be an open competition.

No Sanchez is not remotely going to win one vs a healthy Bradford.

Just watch and listen once the camp reports start rolling in. Sam's talents are off the charts, which is why Chip wanted him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Jun 21 2015, 05:22 AM) *
You missed my point completely.

Yes it will be an open competition.

No Sanchez is not remotely going to win one vs a healthy Bradford.

Just watch and listen once the camp reports start rolling in. Sam's talents are off the charts, which is why Chip wanted him.

OK, yes I did miss that.

FWIW, they say Bradford has the best arm since Vick and that he can make sideline throws that Sanchez and Foles could not.

Do you agree though, that we should refrain from any extension talk until Bradford plays half a season? I just think a preseason extension would be premature. He's always had the arm, but it's never translated to much success in the NFL. I would prefer we see some success here before going down that road.
Zero
From what I read, he has the arm, the brain and the accuracy. Why wasn't he more successful ... other than his knee? The usual answer is surrounding talent and system(s). I'm excited to find out if Chip can make that second rounder and Foles a flat out, class one robbery.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 21 2015, 09:38 AM) *
OK, yes I did miss that.

FWIW, they say Bradford has the best arm since Vick and that he can make sideline throws that Sanchez and Foles could not.

Do you agree though, that we should refrain from any extension talk until Bradford plays half a season? I just think a preseason extension would be premature. He's always had the arm, but it's never translated to much success in the NFL. I would prefer we see some success here before going down that road.

No way on earth there is any extension till down the road because; 1) The Eagles want to extend to reduce his cap # and get him on a low-end deal NOW while he stil has it to prove that he can stay healthy and 2) Bradford and his agent would be fools to do anything now when they know he gets approx $13 mil this year and stands to cash in big time if he stays healthy.

Nothing the Eagles would offer now would have any more G-jack in it than the $13 mil his tied to for 2015.

IMO its best for both sides to wait. Sam likes it here and if he stays on the field he's going to light it up, at which time the Eagles will pony up.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 21 2015, 04:58 AM) *
Remember the old adage we had about not listening to what Reid said but watching what he actually did.

Coaches will always say positive things in public. Boykin is too short to be Kelly's idea of an outside CB. Sanchez will have a shot to compete for the starting job, but he'll get it only if Bradford is still not healthy or genuinely sucks so there isn't an open competition. Both players have been in the league long enough to know the true story.

I agree with Eyrie.

I no longer even read or listen to what Chip says.

he certainly doesn't need Sanchez getting a big win in week one and causing a potential QB controversy so soon. Dreagon

Good point, I had not really considered that. I'm not so sure how much Chip cares what people think but maybe Laurie does.

Also maybe Chip wants to see as much of Bradford as possible early in the season so he can start preliminary negotiations with him during the bye week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.