Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Congrats Dreagon
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Your team just won the division.

We benefited for years from the egomaniac, control freak in charge of your team.

Today, you reap the benefits of the egomaniac, control freak in charge of our football team.

My congrats is begrudging, but you earned it.
mcnabbulous
Damn dude. I can believe how much a guy who prides himself on numbers values the least important position in the game.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 11 2015, 10:40 PM) *
Damn dude. I can believe how much a guy who prides himself on numbers values the least important position in the game.

I saw what our backups looked like last year and I know we are going with a power running game and have a thrice injured starting QB. Chucking away 40% of the starting OL is not something to sneeze at.

I hear people talk about Barbre.

Fact is, he couldn't beat out Herramans last year so obviously Todd was the better of the two.

That is downgrade #1.

Now whoever jumps up to the starting OL now, is downgrade #2.

And then you get the reduced talent in depth.

OG is important in the context of losing two of them and what we do on offense.
mcnabbulous
None of that changes those "downgrades" at the two least important positions in the game.

I'd take a great punter over a great guard.
Endlessknight
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 11 2015, 07:07 PM) *

We benefited for years from the egomaniac, control freak in charge of your team.

Today, you reap the benefits of the egomaniac, control freak in charge of our football team.

The whole division hinged on an aging OG? A guy who was injured nearly half the season?
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 11 2015, 11:07 PM) *

I think we have two completely different ego-maniacal freaks. JJ is enamored with star potential guys with serious social deficiencies, while Kelly only wants guys who are as passionate about football as he is. It may not work, but throwing in the towel on Kelly at this point is pretty lame. Kelce was a 6th round pick and Peters was an UDFA, just because the 'banner' name player is gone doesn't mean we are fucked. (BTW Mathis was a scrub until he got here, will he be as good elsewhere? who knows?) Stoutland looks like a great OL coach given how well our lines have done since he arrived I see no reason to surrender the division in June.

Zero
If memory serves me Mathis was "huh, who?" when signed by the Eagles. Also, I believe Barbre was injured in game 1 last year, high ankle sprain and I've read a few comments from coaches and players praising Barbre this year.

I didn't want to lose Mathis, he was a solid player and a fun personality. But a 34 year old guard that developed a contentious attitude toward the team wasn't going to help much, and blaming Kelly for his not accepting his bump in pay then coming back to fish it out of the toilet only to find he had flushed it? I have a tendency to go with what the potential HOF player on Mathis' left says before taking a bus to the Ben.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 12 2015, 04:58 AM) *
None of that changes those "downgrades" at the two least important positions in the game.

I'd take a great punter over a great guard.

I'd take a healthy QB over both.
Dreagon
Don't be tossing us the division yet. We lost our star running back, and our star wide reciever is threatening to skip games in the regular season. Our best special teams player now plays for the giants and a lot of the guys who stepped up on defense last year promptly stepped out for more money from other teams. We ain't a lock by a long shot.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jun 13 2015, 03:33 AM) *
Don't be tossing us the division yet. We lost our star running back, and our star wide reciever is threatening to skip games in the regular season. Our best special teams player now plays for the giants and a lot of the guys who stepped up on defense last year promptly stepped out for more money from other teams. We ain't a lock by a long shot.

Sounds like we're in the 2015 version of the NFC South sad.gif

Our two teams have self-inflicted wounds, the NJ VaGiants are transitioning and the Racially Insensitives remain a laughing stock.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 13 2015, 04:42 AM) *
Sounds like we're in the 2015 version of the NFC South sad.gif

Our two teams have self-inflicted wounds, the NJ VaGiants are transitioning and the Racially Insensitives remain a laughing stock.

I'll be honest, the Giants worry me. Eli and Beckham have had a year to get used to each other, and they're getting Cruz back as well. Not to mention, they just did a major addition by subtraction in getting rid of Fewell, who pretty much destroyed their defense. and got Spagnuola back to replace him.

Yeah, the Redskins are still pretty much a clown show.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jun 13 2015, 02:06 PM) *
I'll be honest, the Giants worry me. Eli and Beckham have had a year to get used to each other, and they're getting Cruz back as well. Not to mention, they just did a major addition by subtraction in getting rid of Fewell, who pretty much destroyed their defense. and got Spagnuola back to replace him.

Yeah, the Redskins are still pretty much a clown show.

AND the Giants may sign Mathis to bolster the weakest link on their team.
Zero
Not happy about him signing with NY. I wasn't happy with Jenkins signing there either. Jenkins didn't impact their DL and we'll need to see the games to see if Mathis does.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 13 2015, 04:50 PM) *
AND the Giants may sign Mathis to bolster the weakest link on their team.

Okay, that would suck.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jun 13 2015, 08:03 PM) *
Okay, that would suck.

Hey D,

How would you feel if Jerry went all Chip on Dez and cut him today for talk of holding out of games?
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 13 2015, 09:18 PM) *
Hey D,

How would you feel if Jerry went all Chip on Dez and cut him today for talk of holding out of games?

Honestly, not as bad as some people might think. Dez Bryant is an awesome receiver, but receivers don't win you Super Bowls. They are very important positions, but I wouldn't pay them like a quarterback. And I damn sure would never break the bank for one. Calvin Johnson is an awesome reciever, but I honestly don't think the Lions helped themselves by paying him like they did. He never took them anywhere, and that kind of money should only go to a player that can carry a team.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jun 13 2015, 11:29 PM) *
Honestly, not as bad as some people might think. Dez Bryant is an awesome receiver, but receivers don't win you Super Bowls. They are very important positions, but I wouldn't pay them like a quarterback. And I damn sure would never break the bank for one. Calvin Johnson is an awesome reciever, but I honestly don't think the Lions helped themselves by paying him like they did. He never took them anywhere, and that kind of money should only go to a player that can carry a team.

He did win you the division with a big assist from Billy Davis' idea of putting Fletcher one on one with Dez and Fletcher's overall poor play. And if they ruled that a catch, he would have gotten you a trip to the NFCCG.
Zero
I have to agree with Dreagon. Bryant's a stud receiver butb those TDs were more on Fletcher and the D than anything else.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 14 2015, 07:30 AM) *
I have to agree with Dreagon. Bryant's a stud receiver butb those TDs were more on Fletcher and the D than anything else.

The more I think about that,the more concerned I am with Billy Davis' abilities as DC.

Having him lined up 1 on 1 with Dez after getting burned before is about as incompetent strategy as I've ever witnessed in a big game. As a DC, you need to hide your weaknesses, even if it means changing coverage scheme if your weaknesses are too blatant.

You cant blame the scheme on the departed DB coach. Billy needs to really step it up this year. He sounds like a great guy, but he needs to show something significant this year. As Andy would say, he needs to put the players in a place to succeed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.