Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's play: How much will the guy we just cut get as a FA
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
He had no guarantee here unless he made the team and played week one, which if he did, his $5.5M base was guaranteed as a veteran of over four years.

Did Mathis screw himself, or did Rosenass read it right?

Will he make guaranteed money elsewhere or will he take a hit?

Jackson made a bunch more as did Shady.

Herremans took a cut.

It's a bad time of the year as most of the money is spent post FA and draft.

However, Pro Bowl guards don't grow on trees and I think he will do slightly better for himself with a three year deal that has about 6.5-7.9M guaranteed.

That is my guess.

Anyone?
Joegrane
At his age I suppose there will be less guaranteed $

The bad situation in Philly probably will make other teams nervous, maybe having Rosenhaus as an agent will as well.

His agent is not stupid. They had an opportunity to talk to other teams. I doubt that his compensation will be much worse or he would have been in camp already.

Zero
You forgot "who cares?" That's my vote.

I liked Mathis. I wanted him playing beside Peters again this year.

If someone offers me a raise, I take it or change jobs.
BirdsWinBaby
he will get less than he was going to make here...i think Mathis just didnt want to play for Chip anymore. i dont believe its because he thinks he is a 'super sought after' FA who teams will write a blank check for

he has had a long career, just wants to play football and get paid for it....vets sometimes have little interest in buying into a new culture that wont win anything right away
BirdsWinBaby
dupe
mcnabbulous
If it was a financial play (which I believe it was) I think it was extremely short sighted. I suspect Mathis' post career earning potential as a beloved ex-eagle was significantly greater than that of a journeyman offensive lineman.

It's kind of like when TO bitched his way out of town and then all of his national advertising spots dried up.
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jun 12 2015, 06:01 AM) *
he will get less than he was going to make here...i think Mathis just didnt want to play for Chip anymore. i dont believe its because he thinks he is a 'super sought after' FA who teams will write a blank check for

he has had a long career, just wants to play football and get paid for it....vets sometimes have little interest in buying into a new culture that wont win anything right away

They say that Mathis did buy in to the smoothies and sleep and all of that. He owns his own gym company and is said to be a workout warrior and bench presses some astronomical amount.

I agree with Nabby, it was a financial play.

We'll see if it works out for him or us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.