Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We’re Getting Back To Running the Ball
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Staley said. "We want to get back to running the ball. We want to get back to just taking over the line of scrimmage. You do that of course with the offensive line. And you do that with good running backs."

Asked what he's learned about Murray since he arrived, Staley added: "His passion, his passion for the game. His leadership in the classroom, in the weight room, on the field is second to none. And he’s driven by that. He’s driven by going out there and not making mistakes. He’s driven by showing others how he works. So I’m just excited to have him."

LINC
mcnabbulous
It's hard to consistently run the ball when your QB is playing poorly and your RB is regularly taking losses. It results in more passing plays...which sounds counterintuitive (because your QB is playing poorly) but is reality.

A couple people have been saying that for a while smile.gif
Zero
I'm just puzzled by their apparent lack of attention to the OL.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 4 2015, 03:47 PM) *
It's hard to consistently run the ball when your QB is playing poorly and your RB is regularly taking losses. It results in more passing plays...which sounds counterintuitive (because your QB is playing poorly) but is reality.

A couple people have been saying that for a while smile.gif

That dates back to your namesake's day, when we'd end up in third and ten because the defence knew Reid would call a pass on first down, and then try again on second down because we failed on first down.

QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 4 2015, 07:19 PM) *

Me too sad.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 4 2015, 01:19 PM) *

Because Chip knows that OL is all about the weakest link and he's completely satisfied in notion that a ham sandwich can largely succeed on the interior OL. Especially given our offensive philosophies are basic.

He rightly isn't spending premium resources on positions that can be refilled from any number of places.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 4 2015, 01:26 PM) *
That dates back to your namesake's day, when we'd end up in third and ten because the defence knew Reid would call a pass on first down, and then try again on second down because we failed on first down.

Chip's offense should have taught you that it doesn't matter if the defense knows what you're going to do. Proper execution on offense largely negates

The problems stemmed from the fact that we didn't consistently enough execute on first down, leaving us in unenviable second and third down situations. The same was true for our 2014 birds.
Joegrane
McNabbulous, why do you think that? My impression of Chip is that he very much wants to keep the D guessing, not just run or pass but where the ball is going--left right center... Isn't that part of the reason for having a mobile QB in the read-option? The back side DE cant crash down on the RB without risking a QB run to the opposite side. Isn't that also one reason he wants WRs that can block?

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 4 2015, 04:13 PM) *
Chip's offense should have taught you that it doesn't matter if the defense knows what you're going to do. ....

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 4 2015, 05:16 PM) *
McNabbulous, why do you think that?

Because he has said as much. And our offense has been described as "predictable" by members of the 49ers and Seahawks.

During his day-after press conference, Chip Kelly was asked whether he would have changed anything about the Eagles’ offensive game plan Sunday after having watched the film.

“No, we just need to execute,” Kelly said. “When you go back through it, they do a good job. They don’t fool you with anything they do. They line up and play football and they are really, really good at doing that. You don’t go back and look at it and say, ‘Hey, we should have run trap or we should have run this scheme.’ It’s they executed and we didn’t execute.”

Source

My impression of Chip is that he very much wants to keep the D guessing, not just run or pass but where the ball is going--left right center... Isn't that part of the reason for having a mobile QB in the read-option? The back side DE cant crash down on the RB without risking a QB run to the opposite side. Isn't that also one reason he wants WRs that can block?

What he wants to do is stretch the defense and make them commit to something. Even if you do that, it doesn't matter if your OL misses blocks, your RB dances or hits the wrong hole, or your QB makes the wrong read or a poor throw.

Our offense is really simplistic. He wants our guys to play fast and with confidence. We didn't do that very often last season.

Conversely, Andy's offense was really complex. He wanted to out scheme the other team. That often leads to guys playing slower/making more mistakes because they're thinking more.

Neither approach works if your team doesn't execute.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 4 2015, 09:09 PM) *
Because Chip knows that OL is all about the weakest link and he's completely satisfied in notion that a ham sandwich can largely succeed on the interior OL. Especially given our offensive philosophies are basic.

He rightly isn't spending premium resources on positions that can be refilled from any number of places.

But he hasn't spending any resources there for two years, which worries me.

Conversely, the one time he has invested in the OL it was with the #4 overall pick who is doing nicely.
Joegrane
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 4 2015, 06:45 PM) *
.... He wants our guys to play fast and with confidence. We didn't do that very often last season....

Hopefully the O Line will be healthier this year and so the RBs will have some room to run and the QB will not gets his butt kicked by the rush.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 5 2015, 01:14 PM) *
Conversely, the one time he has invested in the OL it was with the #4 overall pick who is doing nicely.

I'm not convinced that was his choice, which is why there was the change in the top this offseason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.