Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kelly talks about his running game
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
This sounds like a comparison of Murray vs Shady:
"We tell the running back to read the first down lineman to the play side. If he expands in the gap, the running back hits the gap. The philosophy of the play is a tough running play. If the line can get up two yards on the defense, the back can, too. We want him to jam the ball into the hole and be a tough runner. We do not want a jingle-footed back trying to hit a home run. We want him to hit the ball into the line and get the tough yards. We are a blue-collar guy going to work. The line will have a hat on the five defenders in the box. The unblocked defenders on the perimeter are following the ballcarrier. If he gets downhill and runs hard, it is hard for htem to make the tackle. However, if he jiggles in the hole, they will make the tackle.

When we talk to the back, we tell him it is speed through the hole, not speed to the hole. When the running back receives the ball, he is at 85-percent speed. As he gets the handoff and makes a decision to take the ball frontside or cut it back, he makes one cut. When he makes his cut to the line, he changes speeds and runs through the hole.
Linc ...

Follow the link to the PDF. Interesting stuff on both the QB and the OL there.
I want to leave you with some things we try to do. Steve Greatwood is an unbelievable offensive line coach. I really believe he is the best offensive line coach in the country. Our offensive line leads the country in yards per carry and rushing touchdowns and we only run four plays in the running game. The offensive line plays with conviction. If you can keep it simple for the players in the offensive line so they have confidence going into a game, you have an opportunity to win the game. The five offensive linemen are the key to our team.

I do not think anyone on our offensive line was offered a scholarship coming out of high school. I think the system we run helps our offensive linemen. The key is to make sure they know what they are doing. They are an impressive group of guys and they shop at True Value Hardware for clothes. If you can get those players to play up to their potential, you have a good chance to win.
HobbEs
Love that last quote. Say hello to Smashmouth Football.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jun 2 2015, 10:52 AM) *
Love that last quote. Say hello to Smashmouth Football.

would be interesting to see if this is a smoke screen. Didn't Herremann say that Chip values the QB first, then OL.

Chip seems to be saying it's system first then player (meaning the system makes the player). That seems inconsistent with what Herremann is saying. BUT it does seem consistent with his lack of drafting a lineman.
Zero
But he said "The five offensive linemen are the key to our team" and that was a couple of years ago. He also seemed to be saying he didn't need the big stars there.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 2 2015, 02:12 PM) *
But he said "The five offensive linemen are the key to our team" and that was a couple of years ago. He also seemed to be saying he didn't need the big stars there.

Well, on the bright side, I'm not sure there are any truly fearsome defensive lines in the division that they will be facing. The Giants ain't what they were, we're hoping to have improved to middle of the pack, and I'm not sure whats going on with Washington at the moment.
D Rock
We've got the best front 7 in the division, by a wide margin.

Endlessknight
Wonder why Kelly didn't bring Greatwood with him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.