Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here's the season's pothole IMO
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://igglesblitz.com/2015/05/whats-going-on-at-og/

I agree it is not looking good.

Chip's out of character slam of him in the presser is very significant, as is Mathis' tweet afterwards of Deez (as in someone grabbing his nuts and saying Deez nuts! I'm not kidding, that's what it means). The fact that Chip was more critical of Mathis than the guy he didn't want and just called him a racist speaks volumes.

While Mathis might be worth slightly more than the high salary he gets based on is play (2nd best OG in NFL, 5.5M, and 6.0M the next two years), his market value is not higher than that. The fact that he got paid a high amount last year and missed many games, while not his fault, does mean that he didn't play up to his salary last year. It Takes some balls to have that stance IMO. Maybe he's seen how the guys who leave here in dispute get more money elsewhere and he has a jaded view. (McCoy, Jackson) Maybe he's all about the money.

I'm hoping they work it out. Maybe throw him a bone of some more Pro Bowl bonus money to save face.

Doubtful that they will. Make no mistake about it. If they will cut him, we won't be able to get anyone to fill in near his level. Just like I don't know what tape they were watching last year to keep those two clowns as our starting CB's, I have no idea what tape they were watching last year to think our depth at OL is anything short of sub par. Those backups sucked. And if he does go away, it will cost us games, especially with our running emphasis. He was a top two guard the last few years for a reason. Sure the bean counters will be happy with the $5.5M back in the till to put us back in familiar cap territory, but it will cost us on the field, dearly. Had we drafted Fisher or signed Collins as an UDFA, then maybe not. But they didn't so work it the hell out.
Zero
Yep. Like I said in a different thread, the OL is puzzling. Two years in a row they ignored it.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 31 2015, 07:01 PM) *
Yep. Like I said in a different thread, the OL is puzzling. Two years in a row they ignored it.

Not only that.
After not drafting for it, I don't think they signed highly rated UDFA OL (as far as UDFA's go) in either year.

Never mind taking a flyer on Collins, which would have been worth a flyer in the 7th. Mihlaik was not rated as draft worthy on many rankings and I'm sure he would have been there for the taking as an UDFA.
Dreagon
That's the part that puzzles me as well. Chip Kelly is obviously a really smart guy, but he's doing what we were doing about five years ago...paying a lot of attention to the big skill positions but only the defensive side of the trenches.

My only guess is that maybe he's planning on a short pass game where the ball is planned on being out every time before the offensive line can collapse.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Dreagon @ May 31 2015, 08:36 PM) *
My only guess is that maybe he's planning on a short pass game where the ball is planned on being out every time before the offensive line can collapse.

I think you are absolutely correct. Chip has receivers who have either size or quickness, not great speed for getting open deep. I think he is counting on play action and the accuracy of Bradford.

Some think the Birds were going to select an O lineman in the 4th round but they were grabbed in the picks just ahead of them. That is what caused the eagles to trade their 4th.

However, a 4th wasn't going to start in all likelihood. However a 4th might have been ready to replace Matthis next year. Now they will likely have to select O Linemen in higher rounds to compensate.

HobbEs
Mathis was essentially a nobody until he came here to play for Howard Mudd. It essentially proves the right guy in the right situation can succeed.

Maybe Chip feels like his line coach is good enough that he can just plug people in and be successful?
Eyrie
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jun 1 2015, 03:05 PM) *
Mathis was essentially a nobody until he came here to play for Howard Mudd. It essentially proves the right guy in the right situation can succeed.

Maybe Chip feels like his line coach is good enough that he can just plug people in and be successful?

That's a high risk strategy given Bradford's injury history.

I wasn't the only one on here who had OL as a priority for this off season. It does nothing for my faith in Kelly when he tries to be a super-genius.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.