Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kelce: Tebow Has ‘Looked Really Good So Far’
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Christian_Cat
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/05/2...ly-good-so-far/

"He’s looked really good in OTA’s so far, especially with a lot of the read-option plays and the keeps and things like that,” Eagles center Jason Kelce said of Tebow on Thursday during the 94WIP Morning Show. “So, I think we have some good quality players, and some good quality competition, and some guys that will be able to win us some football games at that position.”
D Rock
*** yawn ***
Zero
Then again:
I think I deserve a little credit for getting this far without mentioning Tim Tebow. But he does not look good here. During this drill, I estimate he's held on to the ball an average of 24.9 seconds per dropback. It's really ugly.
Here ...
Joegrane
I think I deserve a little credit for getting this far without mentioning Tim Tebow. But he does not look good here. During this drill, I estimate he's held on to the ball an average of 24.9 seconds per dropback. It's really ugly.

Obviously another irrational Tebow hater.

He might as well have complained about how long Ed Marynowitz was holding the ball while Ed was playing QB in drills!
https://youtu.be/96abO_YBc9c

Jenkins sticks with Matthews down the seam to force a Sanchez incompletion and lets the receier know about it afterwards.

I fear we will see a lot of that this year with Matthews. I like him as a solid #2 receiver, or in the slot as Red Zone matchup problem, but not as a #1.
BirdsWinBaby
and another one....

"There have been reports that Tebow’s throwing motion and release had improved after his work with Tom House, but there didn’t appear to be much difference than how he looked two years ago. I haven’t watched Tebow up close for his entire career, but it still takes a long time for him to cock, load and throw. There’s an unnatural dip in his windup. Tebow has never been a good practice quarterback and he’s obviously still learning a completely new offense, so there shouldn’t be too much stock taken in how he threw on one non-contact day in May. But the guess here is that it will be difficult for Tebow to beat out Barkley for the third spot, even if you include his intangibles. He struggled to throw the ball downfield. He was working with a bunch of young receivers, but he often held the ball too long or would check down with a short pass. At one point late in practice, he had a throw tipped at the line that fell into the arms of 6-foot-9 rookie defensive end Brian Mihalik."

LINK

its just too easy
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 28 2015, 10:37 PM) *

He might as well have complained about how long Ed Marynowitz was holding the ball while Ed was playing QB in drills!
https://youtu.be/96abO_YBc9c

I fear we will see a lot of that this year with Matthews. I like him as a solid #2 receiver, or in the slot as Red Zone matchup problem, but not as a #1.

Yes. I think that's why they drafted Agahlor. I hope he doesn't disappoint.
Zero
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ May 29 2015, 07:03 AM) *
and another one....

And another:
Tim Tebow was picked off on a tipped pass at the line of scrimmage by rookie DE Brian Mihalik. Tebow's windup takes a lifetime. It's fairly easy for defensive linemen to get their hands up to bat passes when it takes the QB eight seconds (estimated) to get the ball out of his hands.
Here ...
Joegrane
It's fairly easy for defensive linemen to get their hands up to bat passes when it takes the QB eight seconds (estimated) to get the ball out of his hands.

Eight seconds?! Why do you even bother posting this BS?

I have no idea if Tebow will be an adequate #3 but it is amazing how Tebow attracts irrational haters.

Unlike the garbage from Phillymag, this from Gary Cobb has the feel of an honest assessment.
http://gcobb.com/2015/05/29/tim-tebow-fits...the-other-part/
Christian_Cat
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 29 2015, 07:38 AM) *
Eight seconds?! Why do you even bother posting this BS?

I have no idea if Tebow will be an adequate #3 but it is amazing how Tebow attracts irrational haters.

Unlike the garbage from Phillymag, this from Gary Cobb has the feel of an honest assessment.
http://gcobb.com/2015/05/29/tim-tebow-fits...the-other-part/

I agree with you Joegran. I will say this. There will be many reviews of Tebow's practice. Some have praised Tebow for how much he has improved and some have started bashing Tebow's game once again. That is why you see some news articles that are positive and some that are negative by the media on Tebow practice. I think Tebow has improved and I Feel Chip Kelly has noticed that.

My observation has been that it is the Tebow haters that point out and exaggerate weaknesses of Tebow's football game. Yet never post about his improvements, what he's done well etc. Regardless it'll be up to Chip Kelly with how he wants to use Tebow.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Christian_Cat @ May 29 2015, 10:56 AM) *
My observation has been that it is the Tebow haters that point out and exaggerate weaknesses of Tebow's football game.

Tebow's haters don't have to do that. His stats speak loud and clear.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 29 2015, 10:38 AM) *
... it is amazing how Tebow attracts irrational haters.

What's equally amazing is how new posters on the board have a way of knowing the other posters so well.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 29 2015, 05:12 PM) *

It's belief vs facts.

The Tebow fans believe that he can eventually become a QB in the NFL, whilst the doubters acknowledge that the accumulated evidence to date makes this extremely unlikely.
D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 29 2015, 03:37 AM) *

Sure. It's the "haters" that are irrational about Tebow.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
american_champion
At the very least, it shows that TeBow is well liked for the most part by his teammates.. God Bless.

nephillymike
There was a survey posted somewhere where it was like 80% of the Republicans think it was a good move to sign him and 20% of the Democrats thought it was a good move.

That tells you where much of the criticism comes from.

So many see it through a political, "faith" eye.

Some of it is that, rightfully so, people hate it when someone gets more attention than there level of play deserves. From the time he got drafted up until today, the attention Tebow gets far exceeds his performance. It is this that bugs me.

I'm a Republican, not a holy roller, and I am not turned off, nor turned on if someone mentions God from time to time in public. Some people are more comfortable with our athletes having an "I love me some me" attitude and a look at me attitude than someone who gives thanks to God.

Even given his poor play to date, if Tebow was not a devout Christian, but was moot on religion he would be hated less. There would still be hate because of the inordinate amount of attention he gets versus his NFL achievements, but not nearly as much, IMO.

Joegrane
QUOTE (Christian_Cat @ May 29 2015, 10:56 AM) *
My observation has been that it is the Tebow haters that point out and exaggerate weaknesses of Tebow's football game.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 29 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Again, if you cherry pick the stats you can make Tebow look good or bad. For example, compare his Red Zone stats against the other Eagles QBs, two Pro Bowlers and Cam Newton--another big mobile QB not known for great accuracy but who is dangerous in short yardage and goal line situations.
http://www.wingheads.com/index.php?showtopic=77863

The stats make Tebow look better than Newton. While that is not true, the stats do suggest that Tebow has value in short yardage situations.

We are talking about a #3 QB and possible short yardage weapon. In a 4th and 6 inches, do you want bradford, sanchez or Tebow? If Tebow makes one of those this year that leads to a winning drive, it was worth keeping him as #3.

I also think "upside" is a factor here. If he is showing some improvement in his mechanics but lacks consistency, Chip might roll the dice hoping that his consistency improves. With the added threat due to his mobility he probably does not have to be as accurate as a non-mobile QB to still be an effective #3.

McNabb and Vick were not the most accurate passers but defenses had to account for their mobility plus big arms. One receiver is probably not going to be as tightly covered as usual because a LB is going to be kept fairly close to the line of scrimmage to protect against a QB run.

Finally if Chip uses Tebow just a couple times per game in short yardage situations, defenses have to use practice time to prepare for the scenario. I hope he can also be useful as Punter Protector a couple times per game making a fake punt also a possibility. Again the receiving team has to take time to prepare for that.
Zero
I agree with you if your point is: that as a situational player Tebow can have value. My concern is that in normal situations third string QBs almost never see the field. But the Eagles have a big health question in one of their QBs leaving only one layer to go through before Tebow/Barkley hits the field. I realize that teams using their third stringer for more than spot duty probably don't have much of a chance to go far ... I'm not sure there's a 'but' to that other than a wait-and-see on Bradford's health. If we go to the third QB, who is has a better chance to win, Tebow or Barkley? I don't know the answer to that.
Eyrie
In a league where some teams have difficulty finding a starting QB, let alone a decent back up, any team that has to play its third QB will be up shit creek without a paddle.

So the answer to your question is that it doesn't matter whether Tebow or Barkley is our #3.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 31 2015, 05:19 AM) *
In a league where some teams have difficulty finding a starting QB, let alone a decent back up, any team that has to play its third QB will be up shit creek without a paddle.

So the answer to your question is that it doesn't matter whether Tebow or Barkley is our #3.

It's not that I disagree with you, but Kelly has shown in college that he can win with QBs deep into his depth chart. I realize that isn't the NFL, but the point is that it may make Kelly's third stringer more relevant than other teams' if he system translates well enough. Barkley or Tebow won't take us to or win a SB, so I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 31 2015, 05:19 AM) *

it matters for the same reason that it mattered if Vick stayed on the team as a #3....i loved Foles because he finally got Vick off my team and now Chip brings Tebow here and im right back in the same boat

the reason it matters is because when you have suckass QBs like Tebow and Vick there will always be a segment of the fanbase that will keep saying that we can win with them. with every incomplete pass the cries get worse and worse

see how just bringing this guy into training camp brought the fanatics in to this board? Foles finally got rid of that crazy guy who used to harp on here about how great Vick was and now this?

i dont want this all year....it matters if guy like Tebow are the 6th string QB. if they are on the roster the lunacy continues
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.