Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cataldi on Bradford
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I can't stand listening to Cataldi. He has a whiny voice and I can never tell if he's being serious or throwing schtick. I won't listen to his show in the morning ... period. Believe it or not, I liked him as a writer. I remember him as being straight forward, both critical and complimentary depending on the situation and he seemed to do a good job of researching his facts. Best of all, I couldn't hear his voice.
Bradford has demonstrated already that he can excel in the NFL – when healthy and working with people who can exploit his unique skill set. In his rookie season, he surpassed Peyton Manning’s record of most completed passes by a rookie quarterback (326) and was only the third rookie ever to pass for over 3,000 yards.

Sam Bradford is an Eagle today because his quick release and uncanny accuracy made a major impression on Shurmur in that rookie year. Shurmur saw what Nick Foles had to offer after two seasons here and concluded – wisely – that Bradford had far more potential.

Bradford tore the ACL in his left knee twice, and has not played in the regular season since the eighth game of 2013. He is damaged goods, no question.

But orthopedic surgeons agree that an athlete, at 27, can completely recover from back-to-back ACLs and perform at his previous peak.
Linc ...
nephillymike
I wish Cataldi would do his homework.

And I actually like him a little. I'm used to his schtick and find it entertaining most times.

So they were Bradford's numbers for his first year when he started 16 games, not too bad right?

But in what context? Compared to Peyton, OK, not a bad one to compare him too for sure.

Nick Foles started 6 games in his rookie year behind a decimated line and one with stars McCoy and Jackson out most games. He had a 79.1 passer rating, almost identical to Bradford's career rating.

He then started 10 games in his 2nd year.

So 16 starts in two years.

His number of completions in those games he started were 323.

His passing yards were 4,125.

And his passer rating in those 16 starts was way up there, over 100.

He can say that Bradford has a great skill set and that Shurmer saw something in him that he knows can translate to this offense. You can ignore the injuries and say they won't happen again. He has doctors who believe that to be the case, OK with me. At this point, we need to trust that they know what they see on tape and Shurmers experience. What I saw last year was a mechanically broken QB in Foles that I guess they determined they couldn't fix.

But Angelo, and all these writers for that matter, have to know enough to look up what the guy he replaced did. I mean if a guy who spends a few hours a week on a message board after working 60 hours on his job can look up these facts and comparisons, is it too much to ask that someone like Cataldi and these other "experts" do their damn job and report it right?

I've heard time and time these guys report how Murray was so much cheaper than McCoy. Not true.

Wouldn't a comparison to Foles' stats in his first 16 starts have put it in perspective?

It amazes me the things that get written these days.

Do your job Angelo!!
Joegrane
...Sam Bradford is an Eagle today because his quick release and uncanny accuracy made a major impression on Shurmur in that rookie year....

And probably because someone was more interested in Bradford than Foles in a Mariota deal

I like Foles, especially after he kept throwing strikes after getting pummeled in the first Skins game last year.

I've not followed Bradford's career. I've only seen him play against the Eagles. However, I was very impressed after watching the Youtube video of all of his passes over 15 yards. There were probably as many drops as there were uncatchable balls. Their TE has bricks for hands. He also moved well in the pocket.

If he duplicates that in this offense it will be a very entertaining year. The slightly improved D will look much better if the O has improved time of possession and changes field position rather than going 3 n out so often.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 25 2015, 08:05 PM) *
What I saw last year was a mechanically broken QB in Foles that I guess they determined they couldn't fix.

This was actually a problem late in the 2013 season. It was very apparent in our playoff game vs The Saints. I bet if you look at the tape you will see signs of poor mechanics throughout the season as well.

I've heard time and time these guys report how Murray was so much cheaper than McCoy. Not true.

It's untrue IF Shady's contract was re-structured AND under the assumption that he would be willing to do so. Both would be reasonable assumptions for a TEAM player, but assumptions nonetheless.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ May 26 2015, 08:51 AM) *
This was actually a problem late in the 2013 season. It was very apparent in our playoff game vs The Saints. I bet if you look at the tape you will see signs of poor mechanics throughout the season as well.

It's untrue IF Shady's contract was re-structured AND under the assumption that he would be willing to do so. Both would be reasonable assumptions for a TEAM player, but assumptions nonetheless.

Even if you forget him restructuring and assume he won't. The Eagles are on the hook for a lot more money for Murray than they were on for Shady. With Shady, if you wanted to invest elsewhere, you could cut him and be fine with it and move on. Murray's guaranteed money in his deal puts us on the hook for a lot more than Shady had. All of Murray's guaranteed money is guaranteed to hit the cap at some point. Shady has his salary and a minor part for his signing bonus.

We could have offered Shady a lesser deal than Murray and he would have jumped at it because it was more guaranteed money compared to what he had, even if his cap hit this year would have been less.

I'm OK with the move. I just want people to advertise it correctly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.