Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New NFL Statidum coming to Carson California
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Christian_Cat
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/lan...tadium-31150391

I am excited about this. I live in Torrance California which is like 5 miles from Carson. I can't wait till this stadium opens. It'll be a great place to go watch some live NFL games.

Edit New stadium coming to Carson California. Not sure how to edit thread title for spelling.
Zero
No NFL team has survived in LA. I don't understand why they keep trying.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ May 20 2015, 11:26 AM) *
No NFL team has survived in LA. I don't understand why they keep trying.

It's the size of the market, sorry - city.

But I'd think most football fans there will already have a team and will be unlikely to take more than a passing interest in a transplanted team.
D Rock
This angelino couldn't care less if a team comes to town.

That said, if one were to come here, I'd be pulling for it to be the lambs as the history is most relevant.
samaroo
This is going to be, what?, the third time they've tried this? With 2 different teams? LA don't care 'bout no NFL. It's all about the Lakers and the Trojans out there.
Dreagon
Sometimes I think the NFL is being blinded by the size of the market without considering the passion of that same market. For all its population, maybe LA just isn't a football town. There's a reason they keep losing teams.
D Rock
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 21 2015, 02:08 AM) *
This is going to be, what?, the third time they've tried this? With 2 different teams? LA don't care 'bout no NFL. It's all about the Lakers and the Trojans out there.

As one who's lived in L.A. for the last 20 years, you couldn't be more wrong. L.A. wants football back. The Lakers define the term "fair weather fans." And the Trojans vs. Bruins war divides households all over the community. The greatest sports love our here is hands down the "Doyers."

The perceived indifference you all have about Angelinos and football is due to the fact that the Lambs were a joke of a franchise for their last 25 years here and the Raiders were adopted by the Thug Life set of our culture and played in that ancient shit hole of a downtown that at the time was in a terrible part of town.

If the plan to build the stadium down town would have worked, it would have been huge. I'm not into the Carson location, but it'll work as a fall back.
samaroo
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 21 2015, 11:54 PM) *
As one who's lived in L.A. for the last 20 years, you couldn't be more wrong. L.A. wants football back. The Lakers define the term "fair weather fans." And the Trojans vs. Bruins war divides households all over the community. The greatest sports love our here is hands down the "Doyers."

The perceived indifference you all have about Angelinos and football is due to the fact that the Lambs were a joke of a franchise for their last 25 years here and the Raiders were adopted by the Thug Life set of our culture and played in that ancient shit hole of a downtown that at the time was in a terrible part of town.

If the plan to build the stadium down town would have worked, it would have been huge. I'm not into the Carson location, but it'll work as a fall back.

So, are you excited to get a team out there? If someone is a fan, they've got a team already. Their not gonna jump ship due to geography. Will people go to the games because they can? Probably. Will there be fans? Absolutely. But not the fans that float a successful franchise.

I lived an hour from Charlotte when the Panthers became a team. Soccer moms wore the sweatshirts, but nobody became a fan. That stadium was usually half empty. Granted, Jerry Richardson is a shit with his PLO boxes and crazy parking fees there, but most of the people at those games won the tickets from their local grocery store and went cause it's free.

And living in Jacksonville for 8-9 years is was very similar. If you go to the game, you'll see more jerseys that aren't Jacksonville than that are. And whatever their opponent is that week is usually almost as supported as the home team.

I can't not see a similar situation in LA again. As an outsider looking in at LA, it looks like they're making the same mistake and expecting a different result.
D Rock
Am I excited? No. I'm an Eagle's fan. Was born into it. Passed it on to my children.

That said, I'll go whenever the birds come to town.

The differences between Carolina, Jaxonville, and Los Angeles are many. I'd look more at the Ravens as an example as it, like L.A., had a football past. That's why I want the Lambs to come here. There are still a lot of Lambs fans here. They were big here until the ill advised move to Anaheim and hour south alienated the fan base. Also, this is a community of 9 Million people. That's a far cry from the relative back-waters of Charlotte and Jaxonville.

Ultimately, the team's on-field product will go a long way towards a franchise's success or failure in ANY region.
samaroo
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 23 2015, 01:40 AM) *
Am I excited? No. I'm an Eagle's fan. Was born into it. Passed it on to my children.

That said, I'll go whenever the birds come to town.

The differences between Carolina, Jaxonville, and Los Angeles are many. I'd look more at the Ravens as an example as it, like L.A., had a football past. That's why I want the Lambs to come here. There are still a lot of Lambs fans here. They were big here until the ill advised move to Anaheim and hour south alienated the fan base. Also, this is a community of 9 Million people. That's a far cry from the relative back-waters of Charlotte and Jaxonville.

Ultimately, the team's on-field product will go a long way towards a franchise's success or failure in ANY region.

I get what you're saying. And I've never lived there, so my opinion is an outsider's one. But Baltimore was robbed of a team that they loved, and then got it back (sort of.) So that city had a passion but no team. I work with many, many people from LA, and only one of them is a fan of a former LA team (Raiders.) I just don't see how or why this time is different. And you said the Rams were big till they moved the team an hour away. How far is Carson?

Also, I know you're an Eagles fan. I meant excited just to have a team there. I went to the Jags games every now and then just cause I could. But I HATE the Jags, because if the Birds are playing a top team for a playoff spot at the same time as the Jags being blown out by Tennessee or whoever, guess which game is shown...

AND! The NFC and AFC affiliate channels in Jax are owned by the same company, so if the Jags are playing, they won't even show a game on the NFC channel. Sorry, rant over.
Zero
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 22 2015, 08:17 PM) *
... and only one of them is a fan of a former LA team (Raiders.) I just don't see how or why this time is different.
I realize the Raiders were temporarily located in LA, but they have always been Oakland's team and never LA's team. I agree with DRock, the Rams were the only LA team. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Chargers if they move north.
samaroo
QUOTE (Zero @ May 23 2015, 08:19 PM) *
I realize the Raiders were temporarily located in LA, but they have always been Oakland's team and never LA's team. I agree with DRock, the Rams were the only LA team. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Chargers if they move north.

Yeah. The Bolts have a lot of fans in SD, for sure. But when I was there, SDSU seemed to have a bigger following. The stadium was definitely livelier on Saturdays than it was on Sundays.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.