Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 numbers that matter for Eagles 24/7
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/05/...7/#more-2957509

click on the links within the article. Good stuff
Zero
Good stuff, mikey. Thanks.
Joegrane
21 – That’s the percentage of Foles throws that were either underthrown or overthrown last year, according to Football Outsiders. Among the 36 quarterbacks who attempted at least 200 passes, Foles ranked 31st in this category. Only Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Blake Bortles, Kirk Cousins and Brian Hoyer were worse.

I wish we had the #s for 2013 and also a breakdown for short, medium and long passes. Last year many teams challenged the Eagles to beat them long.

It is unreasonable to expect Foles to match his 2013 numbers, but his performance was not a mirage either.

I still think the biggest reason for the trade for Bradford was to give Chip an opportunity to get Mariota.
samaroo
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 19 2015, 10:22 AM) *
I wish we had the #s for 2013 and also a breakdown for short, medium and long passes. Last year many teams challenged the Eagles to beat them long.

It is unreasonable to expect Foles to match his 2013 numbers, but his performance was not a mirage either.

I still think the biggest reason for the trade for Bradford was to give Chip an opportunity to get Mariota.

I want to know what the numbers are for bad throws tipped by the D into the WR in 2013. I remember more than several of those, even for TDs, and my memory sucks.

I don't think Bradford was brought here simply as currency. I think Chip thinks he can be the guy, but was also tradeable. Trade didn't happen, so he'd rather have Bradford than Foles.

I will miss the nickname Nickfolean Dynamite, though.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 18 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Chip denied this from the start. Of course we've seen him spread disinformation freely as all coaches do, but I think he's too smart to not know that his chances of getting Mariota were non-existent. IMO, the whole Mariota hype was created by pundits and fans who were convinced that 1+1=11 but conveniently ignored all the logic and evidence to the contrary.

The Redskins moved from #6 to #2 for RGIII and it cost them 3 first rounders and a second rounder. Simple logic says that to do the same move from #20 would be prohibitive to the most liberal of views. Kelly has said over and over that he doesn't need a running QB for his system to be successful and he proved it in college. Not once did he offer any glimmer of a hint that he would try to do what he could to trade up to #2. Both Tampa and Tennessee both needed franchise QBs and there were only two in the draft that could be remotely considered to fit that description. If one of the two teams didn't draft one of the two QBs there were teams who likely would have a far better chance at them than the Eagles would.

Even though I got caught up in the hype it was obvious from the start that Mariota would not be in Philadelphia and likely never will be. If he fails as a Titan he'll probably be damaged goods.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 19 2015, 07:37 AM) *
Chip denied this from the start. Of course we've seen him spread disinformation freely as all coaches do, but I think he's too smart to not know that his chances of getting Mariota were non-existent. IMO, the whole Mariota hype was created by pundits and fans who were convinced that 1+1=11 but conveniently ignored all the logic and evidence to the contrary.

The Redskins moved from #6 to #2 for RGIII and it cost them 3 first rounders and a second rounder. Simple logic says that to do the same move from #20 would be prohibitive to the most liberal of views. Kelly has said over and over that he doesn't need a running QB for his system to be successful and he proved it in college. Not once did he offer any glimmer of a hint that he would try to do what he could to trade up to #2. Both Tampa and Tennessee both needed franchise QBs and there were only two in the draft that could be remotely considered to fit that description. If one of the two teams didn't draft one of the two QBs there were teams who likely would have a far better chance at them than the Eagles would.

Even though I got caught up in the hype it was obvious from the start that Mariota would not be in Philadelphia and likely never will be. If he fails as a Titan he'll probably be damaged goods.

I think the Rams-Skins trade, if anything, lowered the asking price to move up.

I think using the Falcons move up from mid 20's to near the top to get J. Jones as a fair value guide was more reasonable.

In the end, the fact that the titans owner rated Mariota higher than most thought was the death knell.

I really do think Chip was interested in using him to get Mariota, evenif he thought it was a long shot.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 20 2015, 09:05 AM) *
I think the Rams-Skins trade, if anything, lowered the asking price to move up.

I think using the Falcons move up from mid 20's to near the top to get J. Jones as a fair value guide was more reasonable.

In the end, the fact that the titans owner rated Mariota higher than most thought was the death knell.

I really do think Chip was interested in using him to get Mariota, evenif he thought it was a long shot.

I agree with the last line, but I think he also would rather have Bradford over Foles in the likely event the trade didn't happen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.