Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I just learned something about NFL rookie contracts
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Was checking on some of the rookie contracts for the Eagles picks.

I was surprised to know how much of their contracts are fully guaranteed:

Algholar

9.38M total
5.08M signing bonus
8.52 guaranteed (all but half of 4th year guaranteed)
5th year team option

Rowe

4.88M total
1.81M signing bonus
2.90M guaranteed (signing bonus plus first two years)

No info yet for Hicks, just signed today. Typically only the signing bonus is guaranteed for 3rd rounders. Huff had 556K SB fully guaranteed.

But the biggest surprise I stumbled onto:

2014 1st round pick Marcus Smith, he of 0 tackles last year:

7.80M total, FULLY guaranteed! If he never makes a tackle in the NFL, he is guaranteed his entire contract.

That shocked me. Did anyone else hear of this??

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/marcus-smith/
Zero
I don't care. The money doesn't interest me unless they don't have any.

As for Smith, from what I've read he's embarrassed and motivated. The combination doesn't guarantee squat but this is where that culture/character shit gets tested. He apparently has the athletic ability but had trouble absorbing the mental stuff and wasn't strong enough. He's added weight (265?) and has been working with a guy in Atlanta to improve his footwork and moves. Just another point of interest for TC and the season.

Here's a question: if Smith improves to a first/second round grade from bust, what happens at LB? I just realized you didn't have him on your list.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 15 2015, 05:28 AM) *
I don't care. The money doesn't interest me unless they don't have any.

As for Smith, from what I've read he's embarrassed and motivated. The combination doesn't guarantee squat but this is where that culture/character shit gets tested. He apparently has the athletic ability but had trouble absorbing the mental stuff and wasn't strong enough. He's added weight (265?) and has been working with a guy in Atlanta to improve his footwork and moves. Just another point of interest for TC and the season.

Here's a question: if Smith improves to a first/second round grade from bust, what happens at LB? I just realized you didn't have him on your list.

Yeah Z, I can't see them keeping him. The swan song for me was when I heard an ex Eagle player say he doesn't have the heart for the contact at the LB position. I heard it a few weeks ago in the AM. Can't remember if it was WIP or 97.5 but I figured if he doesn't have the heart, then he's probably done. Especially if he wasn't a Chip pick and with all the talent we have there. It may have been Hollis, or could have been B. Mitch, don't think it was Ike. Well, whoever it was, he gave a damning report. He supposedly is a nice kid and I hope he does well, but it doesn't look good to me.
nephillymike
Hicks' number came in.

$652K SB fully guaranteed. Like Logan's, no salaries are guaranteed.

Four year deal with salaries of 435K, 555K, 674K, 794K

Not bad work if you can get it !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.