Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When Judging Deflategate, Different Standards Apply
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I heard Roob Frank mention that the charges against Tom Brady and the Pats would not hold up "in a court of law" and therefore the NFL should not suspend him.

I think he and others need to be reminded that there are different burdens of proof in a criminal case vs a civil case. A civil case, the burden is almost exactly more likely than not. As this is more of a civil issue and not a criminal issue, the lower burden of proof applies and the NFL should proceed accordingly.

Point #3 highlights the issue.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-b...civil-case.html
Zero
For me, the issue isn't that big a deal except that it's the Patriots. Unlike many, I don't have a strong dislike for the team. My problem with this incident is that they have been proven guilty of cheating before and there's likely other things they do that haven't come to light. I'm one who believes strongly that rules need to be either enforced or changed but never ignored. If someone is found to have broken the rules he needs to be punished. If the person is found to have repeatedly broken rules it shows a pattern of disregard and the punishment needs to be more severe. The problem here is compounded by the friendship between Goodell and Kraft. The league needs to deal with team infractions in the same fashion they deal with player infractions. The Patriots need to not only be hit hard but they need to be monitored by the league as repeat cheaters otherwise the league is just winking and validating breaking of rules.
D Rock
NFL has set the standard of proof at "preponderance of the evidence". They have no need to reach a criminal court's level of proof. Precident is well set. Anything short of a 4 game suspension will incite a riotous response from players all over the league.

My own opinion? Fuck Tom Cheatin Ass Brady.

Did he win because of those balls?

Hell no.

But he DID engage members of team staff to enter into a conspiracy he thought or believed would give him a competitive edge. Went on the Lie about it to the press and the league. And, he engaged in efforts to cover it all up.

.i don't give a fuck about the balls. But his intentions, motives, and actions all show a disdain for the rules and a belief he is above them. Especially on the heels of spy gate.
mcnabbulous
Well said, D.
Dreagon
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 9 2015, 10:54 AM) *

One way to answer that question would be to examine how well his receivers did when playing for other teams. Softer balls are a lot easier to catch.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ May 9 2015, 10:48 AM) *
One way to answer that question would be to examine how well his receivers did when playing for other teams. Softer balls are a lot easier to catch.

Ehhh, receivers are mostly made by their QBs. Not the other way around. A few of the freaks are exceptions.
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 9 2015, 12:02 PM) *
Ehhh, receivers are mostly made by their QBs. Not the other way around. A few of the freaks are exceptions.

True...but I don't really consider Manning a step down from Brady. And while Welker played well in Denver, he didn't seem nearly the same.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ May 9 2015, 11:32 AM) *
True...but I don't really consider Manning a step down from Brady. And while Welker played well in Denver, he didn't seem nearly the same.

I'd be surprised if his catch rate was dramatically different. Once a guy is over 30, his career can fall off a cliff at any moment.

Brady is a great QB. He's also a mediocre dude. That should have been evident when he left his pregnant girlfriend. Fuck him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 9 2015, 10:54 AM) *
NFL has set the standard of proof at "preponderance of the evidence". They have no need to reach a criminal court's level of proof. Precident is well set. Anything short of a 4 game suspension will incite a riotous response from players all over the league.

My own opinion? Fuck Tom Cheatin Ass Brady.

Hell no.

But he DID engage members of team staff to enter into a conspiracy he thought or believed would give him a competitive edge. Went on the Lie about it to the press and the league. And, he engaged in efforts to cover it all up.

.i don't give a fuck about the balls. But his intentions, motives, and actions all show a disdain for the rules and a belief he is above them. Especially on the heels of spy gate.

Agree
samaroo
Well said, D. An attempt to cheat is just as bad as cheating, and should be punished accordingly. It shouldn't matter if the balls helped the win or not. Attempted murder is still a crime. (Not comparing the two, just saying.)

I echo the "Fuck Brady" sentiment, as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.