Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chip Kelly Should Sue 'Shady' McCoy..
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
american_champion
I'd file a lawsuit against McCoy if I was Chip.. Slander and Defamation.. We can not continue to allow this thug McCoy to bring down how other players view the Eagles and Chip Kelly.. Instead of worrying about Tom Brady, Goodell should instead focus his attention on McCoy and get him in line by issuing a suspension or hefty fine..

This has gone too far now.. Stephen A., Wilbon, 'Shady'.. Next thing you know Al Sharpton and you peoples President will be calling Chip a racist.. Rioting and looting the streets of Philly.. Internal investigations into the Eagles organization looking for racism.. End this petulent nonsense.. God Bless.
nephillymike
As is normally the case in these situations, the currently employed accused is in no position to defend himself.

Part of me thinks that Jeffrey Lurie should come to Chip's defense in a big way, another part of me thinks the less said, the faster it goes away.

A no win.

Even if Chip elaborates about McCoy's lack of character, it won't do us any good. They his a lot of things from the press that this guy did. He's a slime ball.

A comcast guy said it best yesterday. Replace black players with Divas and you hit the nail on the head.

Chip gets rid of his divas first.
BirdsWinBaby
its dead already...put shady's name and chip kelly into google and everything you see is a 1 or 2 days old

nobody pays him any attention, least of all Chip
Zero
What's ironic is the black stars are being replaced by either black stars or black rookies. Most people with a brain that has the capacity to reason will see that McCoy's logic is a bit ... shady. And, if we have the blessing of memory, we will quickly recall how he treated the mother of his son in a public forum. Nothing said by the Eagles is the best response.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (american_champion @ May 8 2015, 12:05 AM) *
I'd file a lawsuit against McCoy if I was Chip.. Slander and Defamation.. We can not continue to allow this thug McCoy to bring down how other players view the Eagles and Chip Kelly.. Instead of worrying about Tom Brady, Goodell should instead focus his attention on McCoy and get him in line by issuing a suspension or hefty fine..

This has gone too far now.. Stephen A., Wilbon, 'Shady'.. Next thing you know Al Sharpton and you peoples President will be calling Chip a racist.. Rioting and looting the streets of Philly.. Internal investigations into the Eagles organization looking for racism.. End this petulent nonsense.. God Bless.

LMMFAO.

All I will say is that Chip Kelly DID pardon Riley Cooper, an ACTUAL racist, a drunk who shows up the starting QB, talks about teammates' contracts, and just last season proved to be the absolute worst wide receiver in the entire NFL

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/1/...e-receiver-2014

Cooper is the poster boy for who you DON'T want on your football team, yet he's still here

but seems to have character issues with DeSean Jackson, a multiple Pro-Bowler and the best Eagles receiver since T.O. (who was only around for one season).

I don't personally have enough concrete evidence to say Chip is a racist, but until Cooper is cut, people might look at him with a hint of suspicion.

Some of you oilcheckers were talking about "he said a naughty word"
Meanwhile if I call Cooper by his God-given name I'll be banned from this board.

"Stephen A. Wilbon", "Al Sharpton", "you peoples President"

Sure you ain't one of those Bucks County "non-racists" who are frequently highlighted on the Eagles edition "This Is Why Your Team Sucks" yourself, buddy?
mcnabbulous
Dude, this guy is no Eagles fan or Pennsylvanian.

He's an unsanctioned PR arm for Tim Tebow. As if his posts don't easily give it away themselves, he just goes from board to board, spewing his Tebow nonsense on whichever fanbase has the unfortunate reality of trying to keep Tebow and his army's NFL dream alive.

Don't believe me...

American_Champion said:

And when Tim takes over the reigns from Brady... Then, what will you say?... All you people whining about Tim now will be on your knees cheering for him... So watch what you say .. Tim is a member of the New England Patriots... Treat him as such... It was already a slap in the face when they stripped Tim of his # 15... Don't make it worse... God Bless.... Montana/Young>>Brady/TeBow

Source

Lets ban him now and save ourselves the annoyance.
Zero
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ May 8 2015, 09:55 AM) *
1. Riley Cooper, an ACTUAL racist

2. Sure you ain't one of those Bucks County "non-racists" who are frequently highlighted on the Eagles edition "This Is Why Your Team Sucks" yourself, buddy?

1. I'm constantly amazed at how easy some people find it to judge others. A guy who was reportedly best friends with a black man (Maclin) and in his drunken state uses a word that is commonly used by black people in everyone's presence is judged as a racist by people who don't know anything else about him.

2. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm from Bucks County, what exactly are you saying?
HobbEs
Anyone remember this?

And is anyone surprised at his rant about Chip? Normally I'd say it's jus sour grapes but the guy is a dirt bag who doesn't deserve grapes.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ May 8 2015, 08:16 AM) *
1. I'm constantly amazed at how easy some people find it to judge others. A guy who was reportedly best friends with a black man (Maclin) and in his drunken state uses a word that is commonly used by black people in everyone's presence is judged as a racist by people who don't know anything else about him.

C'mon Z, you're not really defending Cooper's use of that word, in that context, are you? It was hateful. Don't defend that guy. He's a piece of shit.

And I believe you're mistaken about Cooper and Maclin being "best friends."
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 8 2015, 10:27 AM) *
C'mon Z, you're not really defending Cooper's use of that word, in that context, are you? It was hateful. Don't defend that guy. He's a piece of shit.

Calling him a p.o.s. for his use of the word n*gger is a bit overboard. The fact that his vocabulary was limited to using the word doesn't necessarily mean he is a racist. The context in which he used the term has to be examined. I use derogatory racial terms (in social situations) all of the time, but I don't mean anything by it. Ironically, I never get called on it because I'm black.
Zero

It was reported that Maclin was Cooper's best friend on the team, for whatever that's worth.

Cooper may very well be a piece of shit and I'm not defending the use of the word or him. My point is that it doesn't make him a racist. Maybe he is a racist, but I find it hard to believe being around so many blacks throughout college and the NFL with this being the first accusation. I don't recall anyone bringing up anything else to support the racist claim other than his comment on video. That comment was stupid and ignorant but considering he probably hears it frequently in locker rooms it doesn't equate to him being a racist.

Being called a racist is a pretty serious accusation and is not a matter of opinion. Being called a piece of shit or stupid or ignorant all fall more within the opinion arena. I watched the video once and it seemed he was using the term in the same fashion that we see blacks using it among other blacks. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm from Bucks County after all.
american_champion
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 8 2015, 10:02 AM) *
Dude, this guy is no Eagles fan or Pennsylvanian.

He's an unsanctioned PR arm for Tim Tebow. As if his posts don't easily give it away themselves, he just goes from board to board, spewing his Tebow nonsense on whichever fanbase has the unfortunate reality of trying to keep Tebow and his army's NFL dream alive.

Don't believe me...

Source

Lets ban him now and save ourselves the annoyance.

How dare you mcnabbulous.. I've always been a die hard Eagles fan.. My first post was a complete evaluation of the team.. I'll be covering the Philadelphia Eagles this season for Christian Monitor and IMDB.. Articles, locker room updates, columns, breaking news and reports.. Exclusives with Tim TeBow, Jaylen Watkins, Riley Cooper and Head Coach Chip Kelly.. Here we go again 'Sanchize'.. I'll see you in Philly..

A little about myself: local boy from Philly (always loved Eagles)who has covered Tim TeBow's entire career... I will be moving back to Philly from Florida to report for my beloved readers.. I hope we can all be friends.. God Bless.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ May 8 2015, 08:40 AM) *
Calling him a p.o.s. for his use of the word n*gger is a bit overboard.

There is more evidence than just the use of that word that he is a piece of shit.

The fact that his vocabulary was limited to using the word doesn't necessarily mean he is a racist.

I didn't say he was a racist. I said his use of the word was hateful.

The context in which he used the term has to be examined.

This was done, ad nauseam. He was wasted, at a concert, and thought he was a hotshot and wanted to go backstage. As a result of not getting what he thought was his birthright, he used a racial epithet towards a black security guard

He's probably the type of asshole that yells at waitresses when his soup is cold.

I use derogatory racial terms (in social situations) all of the time, but I don't mean anything by it. Ironically, I never get called on it because I'm black.

The context, in Riley's situation, is not flattering.
american_champion

I actually know Riley Cooper.. And I can tell you he is no racist.. And Jeremy Maclin I think would back that up.. God Bless.

Joegrane
QUOTE (Zero @ May 8 2015, 07:20 AM) *
What's ironic is the black stars are being replaced by either black stars or black rookies. Most people with a brain that has the capacity to reason will see that McCoy's logic is a bit ... shady. And, if we have the blessing of memory, we will quickly recall how he treated the mother of his son in a public forum. Nothing said by the Eagles is the best response.

Maybe McCoy and company think Herremans and Matthis had race change operations! Idiots.

It is sad. McCoy was a great Eagle RB. He was not run out of town because of bad play or scandal. He was a cap casualty in Chip's pursuit of MM and did not connect with the new GM. He was still a fan favorite. However the BS coming out if him will leave a sour taste in Eagles fans. It will affect his legacy.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (american_champion @ May 8 2015, 08:55 AM) *
How dare you mcnabbulous.. I've always been a die hard Eagles fan.. My first post was a complete evaluation of the team.. I'll be covering the Philadelphia Eagles this season for Christian Monitor and IMDB.. Articles, locker room updates, columns, breaking news and reports.. Exclusives with Tim TeBow, Jaylen Watkins, Riley Cooper and Head Coach Chip Kelly.. Here we go again 'Sanchize'.. I'll see you in Philly..

A little about myself: local boy from Philly (always loved Eagles)who has covered Tim TeBow's entire career... I will be moving back to Philly from Florida to report for my beloved readers.. I hope we can all be friends.. God Bless.

American_Champion said:

Sb is a typical liberal who likes to twist my words.. I've never insulted Kraft, Belichick, or Boston.... In fact, I donated to the Boston Marathon bombings.. I also repeated more than once that I could care less about SpyGate... I love the Pats and think they are a top class organization... Do I think they need to be criticized on certain topics?... Yes, I do... As a reporter, it's my job to offer both sides of the story and allow my readers to decide... And I've said it before and i'll say it again.. It's my haters and readers who motivate me to do what I do... for THE TRUTH.... And Sb... Be careful, because your treading the line again to defaming my character... Watch what you say boy... God Bless

No real Eagles fan would ever say this. Go away.

And I'm just putting this here because it's hilarious...

American_Champion said:

I just want Tim to take my breath away like only he can do on a Football field... I just want to be part of something special and magical again... I want that feeling back... I want the feeling of watching my favorite athlete in the history of sports do what he does..=== WIN..... A guy with no quit, who has won at every level of Football, and who is the unquestioned greatest leader of men to ever play the QB position.... God Bless

Source
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 8 2015, 03:11 PM) *
No real Eagles fan would ever say this. Go away.

And I'm just putting this here because it's hilarious...

Source

LMAO

He "donated to the boston bombings." Those bombs needed financial help. LMAO

Now every swinging dick with a keyboard and an asshole (opinion) thinks he's a reporter.

Report this! You're a Fake Fan dip shit. And Tim Tebow SUCKS!!!!

gOd BlEsS-
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 8 2015, 10:57 AM) *
I didn't say he was a racist. I said his use of the word was hateful.

I agree with the differentiation. I would also ask which is more hateful, to use that word or to publicly label someone a racist?

Just think, we have five months of these kind non-football debates to endure. Now that's hateful. laugh.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ May 8 2015, 10:25 AM) *
I agree with the differentiation. I would also ask which is more hateful, to use that word or to publicly label someone a racist?

I think they're both idiots for different reasons. I'd be concerned if people tried to defend one and not the other. They're both shitbirds.

Like I said, Cooper is an asshole. I suspect he treats anyone whom he deems inferior like shit, regardless of race.
nephillymike
1. Cooper was an asshole and probably still is an asshole. There were other instances in college and in his early pro career where he thought he was somebody and tried to bully/ belittle or big time people to get what he wanted. The common denominator in all of those things was alcohol, but to me a drunk asshole is still an asshole. The N word incident at the concert probably couldn't happen to a more deserving asshole in need of a double dose of humility.

If you look at his past, I think most reasonable people will agree with this.

2. After it happened, he seemed sorry for his actions. Whether truly or just in fear of losing is plush NFL career who knows, maybe a little bit of both.

But the key thing here is that he was able to convince the leaders on that team, all who were black, Vick, Ryans and Avant, that he was sincere in his regret and those people who were with him every day said they did not believe he was racist and they believed he was truly sorry. Maclin was one of the players that stood up for him in a big way.

AT THAT POINT, CHIP, BASED ON THE OPINIONS OF THE LEADERS ON THE TEAM, DECIDED TO HAVE HIM BACK. AT THAT POINT, YOU CAN'T GO BACK AND REWRITE THE STORY. CHIP MADE AN INFORMED DECISION BASED ON OPINIONS OF TEAM LEADERS.

3. That year, Cooper had a very good year and looked like someone worthy of a new contract. At that time did it look like a wise decision to re-sign him. Yes definitely. At that time did it look like we paid too much? Yes, probably. (Just like it does with most all of the FA that are signed) Now does it look like we paid too much? Yes, definitely. However, at the time he signed his contract, he was a good player entering free agency in a booming time of the money teams had to spend. It was in a season where Chip already knew he didn't want the diva Jackson who was crying about wanting more guaranteed money and not going along with the program and the team had witnessed that show a few years earlier and NOBODY wanted to put up with his bull shit again. Also, the other guy we had was Maclin, who was coming off a bad injury. Who knew how he would make out. Those three factors contributed that re-signing him was the right thing to do at the time.

Chip's actions above are in NO WAY a reflection of racism and should not be used as some lame ass "proof" that he is. There were sound football reasons for him to do what he did.

4. Should Cooper be cut this year? Maybe. It depends on two things. A. Is he good enough versus our other WR's that it makes us a better team to keep him as opposed to cutting him and getting his money to use elsewhere. B. Is his being on the team seen as a race relations problem among his Philadelphia Eagle teammates? Notice I said his teammates and not slime ball ex teammates in Buffalo, some or race baiting reporters in the local and national media.

If either A or B is true, Chip will cut him this year. If neither are true, then we will have Cooper around and hopefully his play on the field and behavior off of it will make this all background noise. While I don't trust Chip on all things, I trust he will make the right decision with regard to Cooper's future. The right FOOTBALL decision.

Zero
Nice job, Mikey.
Joegrane
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 8 2015, 08:31 PM) *
...But the key thing here is that he was able to convince the leaders on that team, all who were black, Vick, Ryans and Avant, that he was sincere in his regret and those people who were with him every day said they did not believe he was racist and they believed he was truly sorry. Maclin was one of the players that stood up for him in a big way.

AT THAT POINT, CHIP, BASED ON THE OPINIONS OF THE LEADERS ON THE TEAM, DECIDED TO HAVE HIM BACK. AT THAT POINT, YOU CAN'T GO BACK AND REWRITE THE STORY. CHIP MADE AN INFORMED DECISION BASED ON OPINIONS OF TEAM LEADERS.

3. That year, Cooper had a very good year and looked like someone worthy of a new contract. ...

Chip's actions above are in NO WAY a reflection of racism and should not be used as some lame ass "proof" that he is. There were sound football reasons for him to do what he did.

4. Should Cooper be cut this year? Maybe. It depends on two things. A. Is he good enough versus our other WR's that it makes us a better team to keep him as opposed to cutting him and getting his money to use elsewhere. B. Is his being on the team seen as a race relations problem among his Philadelphia Eagle teammates? Notice I said his teammates and not slime ball ex teammates in Buffalo, some or race baiting reporters in the local and national media.....

Well said, Mike.

According to a couple of sites Cooper's cap hit is around 5 mil this year and the next two years.

However his Dead Money is over 6 mil this year, so it makes no sense to cut him.
http://overthecap.com/player/riley-cooper/777/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/riley-cooper/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/yearly/cash/

The contract was essentially guaranteed for this year so last year he was not fighting for $ or a roster spot. There also was little competition for his spot. His performance--or lack thereof-- reflected this!

However next year the Dead Money drops to 2.4mil, allowing Chip to save 3mil in cap space if Cooper is cut. Cooper knows he needs to perform this year in order to *earn* a spot on the roster in 2016.

He also knows it will be harder to earn minutes this year with all of the other receivers fighting for minutes.

I like our chances of seeing a somewhat more effective Riley Cooper this year even though we will see less of him on the field.
samaroo
As the coach of a team that has had around 200 people come and go in some capacity over the past 3 years, how has the re-signing of one white guy made Chip a racist?
Eyrie
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 9 2015, 07:50 AM) *
As the coach of a team that has had around 200 people come and go in some capacity over the past 3 years, how has the re-signing of one white guy made Chip a racist?

That is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that he decided to trade one RB who could deliver both big plays and dumb losses by dancing around behind the line of scrimmage.

I still think we should have got a third or fourth as well as Alonso for McCoy, but I accept the argument that Murray and Mathews are better fits for what Kelly wants, both from the position and as players who buy into his approach.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 9 2015, 06:13 AM) *
I still think we should have got a third or fourth as well as Alonso for McCoy, but I accept the argument that Murray and Mathews are better fits for what Kelly wants, both from the position and as players who buy into his approach.

I don't think Kelly has mastered the 'value' side of personnel yet. I think his definition of 'value' is how the player fits in his schemes. He seems to be less concerned with the comparative value other teams place on players.
mcnabbulous
We got plenty of value for a pain in the ass, 27 yo RB on the downside of his career.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 9 2015, 08:46 AM) *
We got plenty of value for a pain in the ass, 27 yo RB on the downside of his career.

laugh.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ May 9 2015, 11:03 AM) *
I don't think Kelly has mastered the 'value' side of personnel yet. I think his definition of 'value' is how the player fits in his schemes. He seems to be less concerned with the comparative value other teams place on players.

You have to throw out the conventional value measuring sticks w chip.
Dreagon
Nah, this is the kind of crap you just want to go away. Everybody knows better, so it's best to just let it die.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 9 2015, 06:03 AM) *

I agree.

If a guy is valued as a 5th round pick, no need to pick him in the 3rd round.
If a Pro Bowl WR can get you a 3rd round pick if marketed right, no need to cut him and get nothing.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (american_champion @ May 8 2015, 01:05 AM) *
...and you peoples President will be calling Chip a racist.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

As for McCoy, sadly for him nobody really takes him seriously anymore.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 10 2015, 05:44 AM) *
I agree.

If a guy is valued as a 5th round pick, no need to pick him in the 3rd round.
If a Pro Bowl WR can get you a 3rd round pick if marketed right, no need to cut him and get nothing.

I assume this is sarcasm? But to the point, I agree with Chip where he said something along the lines of "I don't care who other teams got, I care about who we get." Getting the right player is paramount, regardless of perceived value. Taken to the extreme, it can be harmful long-term, but so can anything else. I'd rather get the right player a round early, that makes the team better, than miss on him by waiting until the "right" time to get him.

I don't have any specific instances in mind, just speaking philosophically.
Eyrie
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 13 2015, 03:14 AM) *
I assume this is sarcasm? But to the point, I agree with Chip where he said something along the lines of "I don't care who other teams got, I care about who we get." Getting the right player is paramount, regardless of perceived value. Taken to the extreme, it can be harmful long-term, but so can anything else. I'd rather get the right player a round early, that makes the team better, than miss on him by waiting until the "right" time to get him.

I don't have any specific instances in mind, just speaking philosophically.

Fair enough, if we pick a winner every time.

But I'd agree with Mikey that understanding value is important. Instead of taking the right guy a round early, why not trade back half a round for him and get an extra pick?
mcnabbulous
All it takes is one other team to make any later too late. For the draft, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you come out of the draft with 6-10 guys you really like/wanted, it doesn't really matter when you get them.

If you're consistently getting "good value" but guys that don't fit the profile of what you're looking for, you're ultimately going to build a team that can't do the things you want to do.

I get both sides of it, but I don't know if there is a right or wrong way to look at it.
samaroo
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 14 2015, 03:16 AM) *
Fair enough, if we pick a winner every time.

But I'd agree with Mikey that understanding value is important. Instead of taking the right guy a round early, why not trade back half a round for him and get an extra pick?

Nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying that my order of operations would be:
1. get the guy you want
2. probably something else
3. get good value

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 14 2015, 03:38 AM) *
All it takes is one other team to make any later too late. For the draft, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you come out of the draft with 6-10 guys you really like/wanted, it doesn't really matter when you get them.

If you're consistently getting "good value" but guys that don't fit the profile of what you're looking for, you're ultimately going to build a team that can't do the things you want to do.

I get both sides of it, but I don't know if there is a right or wrong way to look at it.

'Zactly!

I guess the breakdown for me on the value thinking is this: If Shepard turns into a PB player, and Hicks is a solid starter, and Rowe and Agholar wash out, I'd still call this draft successful. But the "experts" wouldn't, because our top picks whiffed. Who cares when somebody gets drafted? Yes getting an extra pick in the process is nice, but not necessary. Also, you need two to tango.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 13 2015, 02:38 PM) *

Yes. So you trade down in anticipation of getting the guy you want for better value and then another team takes him. You end up settling for a player that may be rated higher by traditional standards but he doesn't fit what you're doing as well as the guy who you could have had that's now with another team.
nephillymike
I think it may have been Roseman or Heckert a while back explained that the draft is so much wheeling and dealing that at almost any spot in the draft, you can get a taker to move up of move down, just a matter of what you get.

Here's the thing. With the exception of the first round in some years, a team will normally have a tier of players that are rated the same within a certain round. Let's say I have ten players rated the same and I'm in the middle of the second round. If I'm on the clock, I should be selling that pick to move down anywhere within the next ten picks because even if the draft goes against me, and nine of my guys go in a row and I traded down ten picks, then I'm going to get a guy in the same tier with the tenth pick AND I'm going to get an extra draft pick or two for the effort.

Now if a team has ten measurables, hand size this, knee width this, GPA this, MBA that, graduated early this, outstanding character this, height this, must be these positions etc, then that team's tiers are going to be very thin, and that team will be nervous of others jumping up ahead of them and will not have the comfort level to be able to trade down many spots because the tier is too thin. That team will draft the players it wants earlier than projected and will trade up often, trade down rarely and leave the draft with fewer picks than most teams will. You need a much higher batting average with fewer picks and yes, you can still do well, but only if your screening process turns your six picks into a higher probability of success than another teams eight picks. Can be done, but tough to do. Also, having experience to be able to have a good idea of what other teams are looking for enables you to lengthen your trade windows and increases your chances of getting more picks. Experience in the knowledge that other teams may not value what you do can also increase your chances for more picks.

We'll see how we do. The top two seem to be good picks, the one 6th rounder decent, the other three, major reaches. A reach can be successful, no doubt. But a successful reach likely could have come with another draft pick or two.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 14 2015, 09:06 AM) *
I think it may have been Roseman or Heckert a while back explained that the draft is so much wheeling and dealing that at almost any spot in the draft, you can get a taker to move up of move down, just a matter of what you get.

Here's the thing. With the exception of the first round in some years, a team will normally have a tier of players that are rated the same within a certain round. Let's say I have ten players rated the same and I'm in the middle of the second round. If I'm on the clock, I should be selling that pick to move down anywhere within the next ten picks because even if the draft goes against me, and nine of my guys go in a row and I traded down ten picks, then I'm going to get a guy in the same tier with the tenth pick AND I'm going to get an extra draft pick or two for the effort.

Now if a team has ten measurables, hand size this, knee width this, GPA this, MBA that, graduated early this, outstanding character this, height this, must be these positions etc, then that team's tiers are going to be very thin, and that team will be nervous of others jumping up ahead of them and will not have the comfort level to be able to trade down many spots because the tier is too thin. That team will draft the players it wants earlier than projected and will trade up often, trade down rarely and leave the draft with fewer picks than most teams will. You need a much higher batting average with fewer picks and yes, you can still do well, but only if your screening process turns your six picks into a higher probability of success than another teams eight picks. Can be done, but tough to do. Also, having experience to be able to have a good idea of what other teams are looking for enables you to lengthen your trade windows and increases your chances of getting more picks. Experience in the knowledge that other teams may not value what you do can also increase your chances for more picks.

We'll see how we do. The top two seem to be good picks, the one 6th rounder decent, the other three, major reaches. A reach can be successful, no doubt. But a successful reach likely could have come with another draft pick or two.

This is what I think Chip and Co. are going for. I hope it works. Time will tell.

Also, I'll say this: We've been doing it Howie's way for a long time (even before Howie, the philosophy was largely the same.) I'm sick of being not-quite-good-enough. Even if Chip implodes this team in 3 years, I'm down with someone doing something different. The old way wasn't working. It's uncomfortable because it's unusual, and new, and scary, but I'll take it.
nephillymike
I saw on quick slants yesterday that the Eagles were averaging 9.5 picks per draft under Howie's reign. So he was definitely a draft trader.
Zero
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 14 2015, 02:19 AM) *
This is what I think Chip and Co. are going for. I hope it works. Time will tell.

Also, I'll say this: We've been doing it Howie's way for a long time (even before Howie, the philosophy was largely the same.) I'm sick of being not-quite-good-enough. Even if Chip implodes this team in 3 years, I'm down with someone doing something different. The old way wasn't working. It's uncomfortable because it's unusual, and new, and scary, but I'll take it.

I agree. When you're stuck in a rut you need to step out. I'm happy that he has the balls to believe in himself and to act on it. Like you, I hope he succeeds and if he fails how much worse could we be ... we lived through Kuharich, Campbell (Swampy was a good DC), Kotite and Rhodes.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ May 14 2015, 11:20 AM) *
I agree. When you're stuck in a rut you need to step out. I'm happy that he has the balls to believe in himself and to act on it. Like you, I hope he succeeds and if he fails how much worse could we be ... we lived through Kuharich, Campbell (Swampy was a good DC), Kotite and Rhodes.

I'm relieved that, as a newbie fan, I know two of those only as names from our history.

I could have done without the reminders about Kotite and Rhodes though sad.gif
samaroo
If you had to, who would you take back, Kotite or Rhodes?

I'm a sadist, by the way...
Eyrie
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 16 2015, 12:28 AM) *
If you had to, who would you take back, Kotite or Rhodes?

I'm a sadist, by the way...

I'm not enough of a masochist to want either as a head coach. Don't think Rhodes' approach would work in the modern NFL anyway.
samaroo
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 16 2015, 07:26 PM) *
I'm not enough of a masochist to want either as a head coach. Don't think Rhodes' approach would work in the modern NFL anyway.

Yeah, but I'd probably take him over Kotite. He just looked so smarmy. Like a Seinfeld extra, not a football coach.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.