Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, allocate the snaps at RB for this team
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I see this as a potential problem in that I don't think there is enough carries to go around.

Here were last year snap counts for:

Eagles
McCoy = 775 (64%)
Sproles = 337 (28%)
Polk = 97 (8%)
Total = 1209

Cowboys
Murray = 782 (77%)
Dunbar 138 (14%)
Randall 93 (9%)
Total = 1013

Chargers
2014, when suited up, Mathews had 33% of the snaps
in 2013 for the year when he was healthy, Mathews had 42% of the snaps.

So based on this we would have

Murray 77%
Mathews 42%
Sproles 28%
Total = 147%

Even if you cut Murray to 60%, that leaves only 20% each for Sproles and Mathews and Sproles was prolly underutilzed last year. That's a problem. Go much lower than 60% with Murray and we have a problem there.

I'd go Murray 55%, Sproles and Mathews 22.5% each and I have a problem keeping people happy.

Anyone have an answer?
mcnabbulous
Don't give a shit about keeping people happy and do what it takes to win games. I think it will end up being about 55/30/15
Joegrane
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 4 2015, 09:38 PM) *
I see this as a potential problem in that I don't think there is enough carries to go around.

Even if you cut Murray to 60%, that leaves only 20% each for Sproles and Mathews and Sproles was prolly underutilzed last year. That's a problem. Go much lower than 60% with Murray and we have a problem there.

I'd go Murray 55%, Sproles and Mathews 22.5% each and I have a problem keeping people happy.

Anyone have an answer?

Sproles is a great receiver out of the backfield. There will be times he plays with one of the others.

I suppose Chip really wanted Murray Sproles and Polk, especially since Polk is such a good special teamer. He would have saved a few mil as well. The difference in $ might have allowed him to keep Herremans.
Zero
I'm sure he's going to try to be creative with Sproles. I'm pretty sure this conversation came up before signing both Mathews and Murray so I don't think there will be a 'happy' game. After the carries Murray had and the injuries to both I'd guess it will be fluid and end up Murray about 50%, Mathews 30% and the rest, including 2 RB sets go to Sproles. Instead of 'happy' it should be 'effective.'
xsv
I don't see it as a problem. I see it as insurance for when (not if) one of them gets hurt.
HobbEs
I see Matthews as the odd man out. If anything it'll be more like 60/25/15 for Murray, Sproles then Matthews.
Dreagon
Murray sometimes needs to be fed the ball to get going, but that might be balanced out by his propensity to get injured. So cutting his carries might work out alright.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HobbEs @ May 5 2015, 09:23 AM) *
I see Matthews as the odd man out. If anything it'll be more like 60/25/15 for Murray, Sproles then Matthews.

I could see Matthews as our primary as things progress through the season.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HobbEs @ May 5 2015, 09:23 AM) *

I could see Matthews as our primary as things progress through the season. If not primary, then certainly closer to equal.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ May 5 2015, 02:21 PM) *
nm

nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 5 2015, 05:44 AM) *
I'm sure he's going to try to be creative with Sproles. I'm pretty sure this conversation came up before signing both Mathews and Murray so I don't think there will be a 'happy' game. After the carries Murray had and the injuries to both I'd guess it will be fluid and end up Murray about 50%, Mathews 30% and the rest, including 2 RB sets go to Sproles. Instead of 'happy' it should be 'effective.'

Didn't we sign Matthews first and then signed Murray? When do you think they had the conversation?

Chip doesn't strike me as a a boss who talk about it with their employees.
Zero
They had an agreement with Mathews but not a signed contract when they signed Murray. Then surprised everyone by signing Mathews too. There was lots of talk about how either Mathews would walk away with Murray under contract or that the Eagles would go back on their oral agreement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.