Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are the Eagles a Better Team than last year?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Going over the differences in starting personnel:

The Easy Answers:

Barbre < Herremans
Graham < Cole
Algholar < Maclin
Maxwell > Sconces
Rowe/Thurmond > Fletcher
Watkins/Wolff/Rowe > Allen

The Difficult Two:

Bradford > Foles
Murray = McCoy

I say that Bradford will be better than Foles. Neither can run,neither can stay healthy, although Nick's injuries have been to different parts of the body whereas Bradford has two pops of the same ACL, so I think Sam's higher risk. I would have liked for Nick to be our franchise QB, but he just seemed lost out there last year. He would put together a good quarter here or there but he just did not see the field last year. A buddy of mine is a season tix holder and a pretty knowledgeable football fan and he said Foles missed seing a TON of open WR's last year. The Jax game wouldn't have been close had he hit on half of the wide open TD throws that were available. I am baffled because the prior year was so all time great. If given the option of the Bradford trade or no, I would have passed. 12M plus a 2nd was too much IMO. However, that's sunk costs now and I got to think Bradford is the better option. I don't think either gets us in the top 12 QB tier that seems to be the key to success but just maybe if Bradford has the pedigree, maybe he can. I don't know why you run read option with either QB but that's another topic.

I call this a wash, with some clarification. I think all things equal, Murray may be the better style fit for this offense. However, it is a known fact that RB's with the amount of carries that Murray had last year struggle the next year. I think for that reason McCoy has the better year next year, but over a three year period, Murray comes close to matching Shady's numbers with maybe a better fit for what Kelly wants.

The first off the bench guys:

Matthews > Sproles (Matthews can take more of the load than Sproles which is why I give him the nod)
Braman < Graham - Graham played off the bench more than Braman last year so it stand B isn't as good backup
Alonzo > Goode the depth chart has Kendricks starting and he wasn't traded so Alonzo's the backup
Tobin < Barbre - Barbre was better as 6th OL than Tobin this year
Miles > Huff

So tallying it up, on the starters, I give this years team the edge 4-3-1 and on first off the bench guys, this year's team the edge 3-2.

Not exactly the slam dunk edge I would have expected with $50M of cap space and 8 draft picks, but I think we are better.

And I wouldn't necessarily say slightly. Our CB's and SS absolutely sucked these last two years. Just getting average play from those spots will reap great dividends. Average DB play wins three more games last year. We beat DAL here, WAS there and ARI there. Just one win and we're in the playoffs not the 'Girls.

Just think about as good as Foles was in 2013, he was not good enough to overcome Sconces and the crew and get a home playoff win when leaving the field with the lead.

This year will be different.
nephillymike
BTW, one addendum.

If we lose Mathis, then the my answer changes to a decided "NO".

That would be idiocy parting ways.

Lock him and Chip in a room and figure it out.

BTW, did you hear what Mathis tweeted out after Chip's public rip?

Deez! (As in Deez Nuts as in grabbing his crotch directed to the coach)

That will fill the team coffers up with another 5.5M in a hurry.

Kendricks showed today. Mathis did not.
mcnabbulous
I'm not sure that Barbre is worse than big Todd.
Joegrane
I expect Graham to be much better than the 30yr old Cole as a pass rusher but not as stout against the run. I don't know how Graham will fare on the rare occasion he drops in coverage.

They are thin behind Graham. Someone suggested that at times his backup might have to be C Barwin. That would probably mean Kendricks with his speed would move outside. I assume M Smith and J Hicks will not yet be ready to contribute significantly.

If Graham misses significant time, I suppose V. Curry's lack of speed in the 40 yd dash makes him less suitable as a replacement.
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/710/position/15/
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/66/

While individual player evaluations are part of the equation when evaluating a team, experience in the system and experience playing with each other are also factors. They are harder to quantify.

Also how do you quantify a player's risk for injury or the typical increase in performance in a "contract year?"

I don't know if the secondary will actually be improved. Will it be a hodgepodge mess or group of various chess pieces that can be utilized effectively. I see too many pawns.

I hope the pass rush is more consistent and the LBs can cover RBs and TEs with less help from a S.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 4 2015, 09:14 PM) *
Going over the differences in starting personnel:

The Easy Answers:

Barbre < Herremans
Graham < Cole
Algholar < Maclin
Maxwell > Sconces
Rowe/Thurmond > Fletcher
Watkins/Wolff/Rowe > Allen

The Difficult Two:

Bradford > Foles
Murray = McCoy

I say that Bradford will be better than Foles. Neither can run,neither can stay healthy, although Nick's injuries have been to different parts of the body whereas Bradford has two pops of the same ACL, so I think Sam's higher risk. I would have liked for Nick to be our franchise QB, but he just seemed lost out there last year. He would put together a good quarter here or there but he just did not see the field last year. A buddy of mine is a season tix holder and a pretty knowledgeable football fan and he said Foles missed seing a TON of open WR's last year. The Jax game wouldn't have been close had he hit on half of the wide open TD throws that were available. I am baffled because the prior year was so all time great. If given the option of the Bradford trade or no, I would have passed. 12M plus a 2nd was too much IMO. However, that's sunk costs now and I got to think Bradford is the better option. I don't think either gets us in the top 12 QB tier that seems to be the key to success but just maybe if Bradford has the pedigree, maybe he can. I don't know why you run read option with either QB but that's another topic.

I call this a wash, with some clarification. I think all things equal, Murray may be the better style fit for this offense. However, it is a known fact that RB's with the amount of carries that Murray had last year struggle the next year. I think for that reason McCoy has the better year next year, but over a three year period, Murray comes close to matching Shady's numbers with maybe a better fit for what Kelly wants.

The first off the bench guys:

Matthews > Sproles (Matthews can take more of the load than Sproles which is why I give him the nod)
Braman < Graham - Graham played off the bench more than Braman last year so it stand B isn't as good backup
Alonzo > Goode the depth chart has Kendricks starting and he wasn't traded so Alonzo's the backup
Tobin < Barbre - Barbre was better as 6th OL than Tobin this year
Miles > Huff

So tallying it up, on the starters, I give this years team the edge 4-3-1 and on first off the bench guys, this year's team the edge 3-2.

Not exactly the slam dunk edge I would have expected with $50M of cap space and 8 draft picks, but I think we are better.

And I wouldn't necessarily say slightly. Our CB's and SS absolutely sucked these last two years. Just getting average play from those spots will reap great dividends. Average DB play wins three more games last year. We beat DAL here, WAS there and ARI there. Just one win and we're in the playoffs not the 'Girls.

Just think about as good as Foles was in 2013, he was not good enough to overcome Sconces and the crew and get a home playoff win when leaving the field with the lead.

This year will be different.

I'm having a hard time deciding if that was optimism or pessimism.
Dreagon
Honestly, I don't think you're going to have an answer to that until 2017.

I think you may have upgraded in a couple of positions...at least considering the ways you intend to use them...but you guys have had such a turnover in all your offensive skill positions that next year may be a transition year for you guys. You might not really be getting an idea of who your new team is until the end of the season.
JeeQ
Honest opinion:

We're a worse team than last season, and a much worse team then the season before that...

Andy handed Chip a Ferrari and Chip traded it in for a Prius... because Chip believes a Prius and a Ferrari can both get you to the same destination, but one will cost you a lot more money

My only issue with this line of thinking... who the fuck wants to drive a Prius over a Ferrari?
Phits
I believe that we are clearly a better team. Offensively a Chip Kelly team should be able to move the ball and score points (like we have in both his seasons) however, I expect us to be more efficient on that side of the ball. Instead of being boom or bust we should be able to "chip" away and move the ball up the field steadily. The big difference between this team and last season is the strides we've made regarding our defensive personnel, particularly our secondary aka our Achilles heel.
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ May 5 2015, 02:24 PM) *
Honest opinion:

We're a worse team than last season, and a much worse team then the season before that...

Andy handed Chip a Ferrari and Chip traded it in for a Prius... because Chip believes a Prius and a Ferrari can both get you to the same destination, but one will cost you a lot more money

My only issue with this line of thinking... who the fuck wants to drive a Prius over a Ferrari?

If you have to pay for the maintenance and the fuel, I'll take the Prius because the NFL season isn't a sprint.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 5 2015, 05:37 AM) *
I'm having a hard time deciding if that was optimism or pessimism.

With a decision of 4-3-1 and 3-2, how can you think it is not optimistic??

I am not standing on my head spitting wooden nickels optimistic, but in a gun to the head honest answer to the question, yes we are better.

What do you want from an Axis member?
Zero
Try a sip of this then:
Bovada released their latest 2015 Super Bowl odds on Tuesday. These are the first Super Bowl odds to be released since the conclusion of the 2015 NFL Draft and the release of the 2015 NFL schedule.

The Eagles last left off with the seventh best chance to win it all. That was back in March, shortly after NFL teams had already made the bulk of their free agent moves. As it turns out, Philadelphia's odds haven't changed: they're still the team with the seventh best shot at 18/1.
18% ABV ... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.