Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Boykin worth an early fourth?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I've got to believe that Boykin is a better prospect at CB than any player left on the board. The Eagles already have the fourteenth pick in round four, could they trade a guy that will probably be gone next year anyway to grab one of the early picks in the round also?
Eyrie
The alternative would be to trade Kendricks because of our depth at ILB, but he has to be worth more than a fourth and I'm not sure how long is left on Ryans' deal.

Boykin lacks the size that Kelly wants and didn't get moved outside last year despite the problems we had with Williams and Fletcher, so I'd think he's the favourite to be traded.
nephillymike
I don't trade either for a 4th round pick.

They are both worth established players.

Maybe we're waiting for the draft to move along to see what teams didn't get the CB or ILB they wanted and then see which of those have a good position player that we need and get a deal settled of players for players.

Would act as a better alternative to draft picks IMO
Zero
But a player for player trade is so rare.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 2 2015, 12:13 PM) *
But a player for player trade is so rare.

I know. I don't understand it. I can see in season it being a rarity, but offseason post draft, you would think it would be more common.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 2 2015, 01:51 PM) *
I know. I don't understand it. I can see in season it being a rarity, but offseason post draft, you would think it would be more common.

Maybe Manwich thinks next years draft is very strong in the first two days and will be trading away Kendricks and Boykin for picks next year. They should at least a 2 and a 4 at least and I'd think a 2 and a 3. If they did that we'd have a 1, a 2, three 3's and two 4's? Didn't we pick up a 4 in the Bradford deal?
Eyrie
Don't know about Kendricks, but Boykin's future is in question with the two sixth round CBs. Admittedly they're sixth rounders, but the sheer number of players we have at CB means that several won't make the roster and it would be better to get something in return. However the knowledge that we're overstocked there will drive the price down.

Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 2 2015, 06:01 PM) *
Don't know about Kendricks, but Boykin's future is in question with the two sixth round CBs. Admittedly they're sixth rounders, but the sheer number of players we have at CB means that several won't make the roster and it would be better to get something in return. However the knowledge that we're overstocked there will drive the price down.

Your signature doesn't show much confidence in Chip's way.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ May 2 2015, 11:08 PM) *
Your signature doesn't show much confidence in Chip's way.

I'm still to be convinced by the offseason moves. We've had FA and the draft, yet -

- I don't know who will be paired with Jenkins at S - will Rowe move there?
- I don't know which of our 27 CBs will start opposite Maxwell if Rowe is the other S.
- I don't know where the depth is at OLB when Barwin and Graham need a breather.
- I don't know who will be playing RG or where the future is for the left of our OL.

There are names on the roster that can be placed against those question marks, but little in the way of proven players. I can only hope that the coaches have seen enough from Watkins/Wolff, Carroll/Thurmond, Smith/Long, Tobin/Barbre etc to answer those concerns.
Zero
You know I'm Optimystic, but I still think you're in for a big surprise. They've added some parts in the draft, but the big change was on offense and it all hinges on Bradford's ability to stay healthy and the OL to help do it.

Moving Shady was disappointing, I'm going to miss him and the excitement he brought. Murray and Mathews are the grinders and pounders. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Barbre and Tobin had problems in pass protection last year, not run blocking. Opposing defenses are going to be stacking for the run which will help Brad stay clean.

The DL still has room to improve and could become dominant. Even with the loss of Cole the LBs are much deeper and could be a strength on the defense. Maxwell and Thurmond are improvements over Williams and Fletcher, add in Rowe and the CBs are improved. Safety is a question other than Jenkins, but there's valid competition with Wolff, Watkins, Rowe, Carroll and Reynolds ... TBD.

QB and OL. My biggest disappointment is that we have to wait 5 months until we can see how this is coming together. wink.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ May 3 2015, 11:49 AM) *
My biggest disappointment is that we have to wait 5 months until we can see how this is coming together. wink.gif

Agreed.

At least we could bitch in January about missing the payoffs, speculate about FAs in February, discuss moves in March and look forward to the draft in April.

May - review the roster. June - zilch. July - zilch. August - thank gods for training camp. September - preseason and then real games jumpclap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.