Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cheaper, injury free Maclin clone
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Can't complain about the pick. It may not be sexy, but it should be effective. According to the pundits he should be able to step in and be effective immediately.
nephillymike
it's a good need pick, with about a half round reach.
Zero
We need to remember that they are drafting for specific measurables Kelly is looking for and that may not dovetail with what the rest of the NFL values. Not good or bad at this point but relevant when looking at their picks.
JeeQ
Now that I'm entering the "Acceptance" stage of Mariota Loss I can appreciate the pick and think he'll end up leading our team in receptions this season
mcnabbulous
I like him more than Matthews as a prospect. Just don't like the idea of spending heavily on a deep position at a position that I think Chip can generate production via scheme. The major benefit is that it may push Cooper out of the lineup/door.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Zero @ May 1 2015, 05:02 AM) *
We need to remember that they are drafting for specific measurables Kelly is looking for and that may not dovetail with what the rest of the NFL values. Not good or bad at this point but relevant when looking at their picks.

Exactly. I think this pick was made specifically to play to Bradford's strengths. Bradford prefers the short passing game, which elevates the slot receiver in importance.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 30 2015, 10:50 PM) *
Can't complain about the pick. It may not be sexy, but it should be effective. According to the pundits he should be able to step in and be effective immediately.

I assume he'll mostly be in the slot until he becomes strong enough to deal with press coverage. I assume Chip's protein shakes will help him to gain some strength and weight. He is already heavier than Todd Pinkston who had trouble with press.

I wonder about the comparison with Maclin at this point. Mac had a toughness that I really respected. He'd go over the middle. He battled in the run game. Defenses had to respect his speed + craftiness in setting up CBs prior to the catch.

It's a good need pick, with about a half round reach. Nephillymike.

I suppose so, but that is even more strange in light of their desire to move up in the 2nd for a S/Cb. That's why I thought they'd trade down in the 1st to pick Fisher, then use the extra pick to move up in the 2nd for help in the secondary.

I like smart players with good character and love for the game. They are less likely to become busts--unless they like fighting fires even more.

My initial reaction was that they "stretched" to fill an immediate need. My recollection of similar situations in Eagles history isn't pleasant.

In 2001 the Birds were desperate for a slot receiver. Near the bottom of Round 1 they stretched for Freddie Mitchell who was thought to be more pro-ready than many other receivers. He was actually little better than his critics suggest. He had a knack for digging McNabb's low balls out of the dirt. He made lots of 3rd down catches. If he had been a third rounder and had not run off his mouth, he'd be fondly remembered, almost like Jason Avant.

In 2011 Andy needed a starting guard. He selected the 26 yr old Danny Watkins @#23 because of his maturity. Unfortunately he wanted to battle fires more than battle in NFL trenches.

I actually don't think Marcus Smith is a good example. I think they always viewed Smith as a project, an impressive physical specimen with upside, not someone who would contribute much in year 1.

I don't hate the pick. I don't expect the bone-head mistakes we saw from Huff last year, but I also don't expect the big plays we got from Huff either. I think Nelson will be a solid, but unspectacular, Eagle for many years.

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 1 2015, 10:03 PM) *
He is already heavier than Todd Pinkston who had trouble with press.

I wonder about the comparison with Maclin at this point. Mac had a toughness that I really respected. He'd go over the middle.

I really liked Maclin last year but you have a different memory of him before that than I do. He was good, but he always seemed to be tackling himself.
mcnabbulous
His other physical comps are guys like Wayne, Lee Evans, Justin Blackmon and Torry Holt. Based on that and his college production, there is no reason to believe we didn't just land a guy that is going to heavily produce for the next decade.

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4778/
Zero
I hear people bitching about his lack of breakaway speed. I'm not comparing, but when I hear that I think of Jerry Rice.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 2 2015, 12:14 PM) *
I hear people bitching about his lack of breakaway speed. I'm not comparing, but when I hear that I think of Jerry Rice.

He's a solid pick, should have a fine career for us.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 30 2015, 09:57 PM) *

It is a .5 round reach only if you follow Kiper. I am fine with the pick.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 30 2015, 09:57 PM) *

JaxEagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 30 2015, 10:50 PM) *

I like the pick. Regarding Maclin, he is healthy. I am tired of the injury stigma on every football player who has ever been injured. They play football, not baseball.
nephillymike
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ May 3 2015, 06:50 PM) *

We picked him 20th

Here were his ranks:

CBS Draftscout 37
NFL.Com- Mayock 63
Draftek 43
ESPN 30
Walter Football 57

I like the pick but we reached. It's a hell of a lot shorter reach than picks in the past and this guy is a player so I'm feeling better than I am other years after the first round pick!
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 3 2015, 08:31 PM) *
We picked him 20th

Here were his ranks:

CBS Draftscout 37
NFL.Com- Mayock 63
Draftek 43
ESPN 30
Walter Football 57

I like the pick but we reached. It's a hell of a lot shorter reach than picks in the past and this guy is a player so I'm feeling better than I am other years after the first round pick!

I meant Kiper as the generic for internet/media draftnik but non-NFL Scout.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 30 2015, 09:50 PM) *

anything that accelerates the exit of Riley Cooper (we could stand to have less controversial bums on the Eagles) is a good thing

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.