Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here's a glass of hope for the Mariota guys!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
samaroo
I haven't seen much coverage lately on Oregon QB Marcus Mariota. For those who don't know, he's rumored to be pretty high on the Eagles draft board.

Anyway, FO did maths on QB's, and came up with a calculation to determine if a QB will be a bust or not, and it's pretty interesting. Long story short, it loves MM and hates Winston. Here's the link.

Whatchoo think, fellas?
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Apr 28 2015, 07:47 PM) *
I haven't seen much coverage lately on Oregon QB Marcus Mariota. For those who don't know, he's rumored to be pretty high on the Eagles draft board.

Anyway, FO did maths on QB's, and came up with a calculation to determine if a QB will be a bust or not, and it's pretty interesting. Long story short, it loves MM and hates Winston. Here's the link.

Whatchoo think, fellas?

I think that we need to prevent TB and TEN from seeing that article!!
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 29 2015, 10:31 AM) *
I think that we need to prevent TB and TEN from seeing that article!!

Ha! Yeah, I thought about that too while I was reading it. I'm definitely not a statistician, but looking at their chart, they seem to be on to something there. It seems to be statistically significant, at least.
JeeQ
Winston is going to Tampa... because if I keep saying it enough maybe it'll come true... plus he already gets the crabs for free...

devil03.gif
samaroo
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 29 2015, 12:13 PM) *
Winston is going to Tampa... because if I keep saying it enough maybe it'll come true... plus he already gets the crabs for free...

devil03.gif

I hope. You know how much of a letdown it'll be if MM goes first?!? Jimmy K had a tweet yesterday about how after TB picks it'll be the most exciting 10 minutes of TV this year. I tend to agree.
JeeQ
QUOTE (samaroo @ Apr 28 2015, 09:00 PM) *
I hope. You know how much of a letdown it'll be if MM goes first?!? Jimmy K had a tweet yesterday about how after TB picks it'll be the most exciting 10 minutes of TV this year. I tend to agree.

Can honestly say I've never been this excited for a draft... We haven't had a franchise QB since McNabb and even though that hasn't been that long it feels like ages

I'm picturing Chip and Mariota for the next 10 seasons a la Bill and Brady
samaroo
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 30 2015, 01:58 AM) *
Can honestly say I've never been this excited for a draft... We haven't had a franchise QB since McNabb and even though that hasn't been that long it feels like ages

cheers.gif Here's to hoping! One more day!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 29 2015, 10:58 AM) *

The reality is that McNabb wasn't really a franchise QB after 2004. So it's been a while and his tenure in that echelon was only really about 4-5 years.

Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 29 2015, 07:14 PM) *
The reality is that McNabb wasn't really a franchise QB after 2004.

Nonsense. You've repeated the same lie line so often over the years that you probably actually believe it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 29 2015, 05:17 PM) *
Nonsense. You've repeated the same lie line so often over the years that you probably actually believe it.

Take a look at Donovan's post 2004 stats. Then compare him to the elite QB's in the NFL. They're a different ballpark.

His most passing TD's post 2004 were 23, which would have placed him 13th in 2014 (and 8th in the year it happened). Good, but hardly elite.

He was having a really decent statistical season in 2006, but he only played 10 games and we were 5-5 in those. Garcia went 5-1 with that same team.

I'm not trying to be a dick to Donovan, but he was merely a good QB after his SB season. Nothing more. You glamorize his career due to his run in 2000-2004, which was great. He wasn't the same after his injuries in 2005/2006 (and I'm not even sure he was the same by that point).

koolaidluke
Post benching, he was elite in 2008. But he never had a sustained elite season after 2004 though, your right.

He was still decent though and most importantly he brought stability. How many QBs have the eagles gone through since McNabb left? A million? I seriously have lost count.

Never liked his style of play though. Still feel he is the most aesthetically displeasing QB I've ever watch.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 29 2015, 08:04 PM) *
Take a look at Donovan's post 2004 stats. Then compare him to the elite QB's in the NFL. They're a different ballpark.

His most passing TD's post 2004 were 23, which would have placed him 13th in 2014 (and 8th in the year it happened). Good, but hardly elite.

We were talking about "franchise" QB's. You don't have to be an elite QB to be a franchise QB. However, you will be a franchise QB if you are elite.

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees are elite QB's.

Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Cam Newton, Matt Stafford, Tony Romo, Joe Flacco are franchise QB's.

You can build around a franchise QB. If you give them the right weapons they will help make your team a contender. An elite QB will make their given weapons better and turn you into a contender.

We never gave Donovan the right "wepaons" and never utilized the run game to his benefit. I would agree that he was borderline elite pre-2004 and not so much after. However he was certainly a franchise QB calibre right up until he was traded.
mcnabbulous
We can agree to disagree on the definition discuss Donovan's excuses. Simply put, he wasn't good enough, consistently enough to get us over the top. His peak was 3 years at the beginning of his career. That's why disappoints me most.

But on to the next. Bring me MM.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 30 2015, 02:20 PM) *
We can agree to disagree on the definition discuss Donovan's excuses. Simply put, he wasn't good enough, consistently enough to get us over the top. His peak was 3 years at the beginning of his career. That's why disappoints me most.

We will forever disagree on that. Simply put, Andy did not put McNabb in a position to succeed. The one certainty is that pinning your hopes on receivers like Thrash, Pinkston and Mitchell has a way of backfiring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.