Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: With the first pick
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...........................................

Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon.

Wouldn't that:

Piss on our Wheaties
Rain on Our Parade

feel free to add other analogies.

Can Tampa coerce a pick from us just NOT to draft Mariota? I never heard of that.

I'm a draft addict and have been listening to draft talk hours a day.
Dreagon
From some of the things I've heard, that could very well happen.

Winston comes with baggage, and there is still a lawsuit coming against him for sexual assault. In the post Ray Rice league, that could get a team to looking elsewhere...especially when there happens to be a second top tier QB available.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 25 2015, 11:29 PM) *
From some of the things I've heard, that could very well happen.

Winston comes with baggage, and there is still a lawsuit coming against him for sexual assault. In the post Ray Rice league, that could get a team to looking elsewhere...especially when there happens to be a second top tier QB available.

True, but from what we read there are major concerns that MM hasn't shown he can be as effective as a drop back passer. A #1 pick is normally expected to start day one, and if the team thinks it will take a year to re-educate him they may pass and go another route. If I'm either Tampa or Tenn I pass on Mariota and either draft the next biggest need or, preferably try to trade out and accumulate a wealth of picks to rebuild with. The Eagles or another team that uses a similar offense have the least worries with Mariota.

That said, there are reasons why some teams always seem to be picking early in the draft. I still think Winston goes first followed by Mariota.
Eyrie
That would take a lot of pressure off the Eagles regarding any trade up scenario, since it would be clear that Mariota was the guy that Tampa wanted and the cost of any deal would be prohibitive.

Of course, the opposite scenario is where Mariota is still there at #6 or #7 and we either mortgage the farm to get him, or face an offseason of speculation regarding why we didn't.
GroundedBird
I can't imagine that Kelly hasn't been in contact with Tampa.

If he's as smart as we think he is and IF he really wants Mariota, then I think he knows what Tampa would need to move the pick.

I'm okay with Bradford, the 20th, Cox and Hendricks. I'd miss Cox but I heard that he might command $8M next year. I think there are options.

JeeQ
I'd be stunned if Tampa doesn't go with Jameis... if there's any team in the NFL tailor made for Jameis it's Tampa

He lives in the state, they know him, they know his history, and he's already brought a championship there... it's a no brainer
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 26 2015, 09:36 AM) *
of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...........................................

Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon.

Wouldn't that:

Piss on our Wheaties
Rain on Our Parade

feel free to add other analogies.

Can Tampa coerce a pick from us just NOT to draft Mariota? I never heard of that.

I'm a draft addict and have been listening to draft talk hours a day.

Stop it! I've still got a week to be hopeful, so just let me be!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.