Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You won't believe this. Our illustrative QB corps
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/590143524483551232

That's tough to do!!

Any truth the rumor that Nabby's favorite drafted QB of the last five years is on his way here to make it four of five?
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 21 2015, 12:24 PM) *
https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/590143524483551232

That's tough to do!!

Any truth the rumor that Nabby's favorite drafted QB of the last five years is on his way here to make it four of five?

Jeebus. That's terrible.
JeeQ
It's so terrible and hilarious at the same damn time...

You know Barkley would be on that list too if he only met the game requirement laugh.gif

We're housing 3 of the 5 worst QBs in the NFL at the same damn time...

Culture Over Talent Baby laugh.gif

Serious question though... you think it's too late to get Johnny Football too?
mcnabbulous
At least Chip is intelligent enough to see the impact of bad coaching and scheme. I'd love to get his candid opinion of Brian Schottenheimer as an offensive coach.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 21 2015, 05:57 AM) *
At least Chip is intelligent enough to see the impact of bad coaching and scheme. I'd love to get his candid opinion of Brian Schottenheimer as an offensive coach.

In that regard, the two most puzzling things Chip has ever said were two of the things that give me greatest pause of his greatness:

1. When discussing Mark Sanchez and in his decision to sign him, he said he only looked at college film, no pro film.

2. When signing Sam Bradford, he said he signed him based on his pro film, and didn't watch his college film.

Those are head scratchers for me.
mcnabbulous
Disregarded Sanchez's work with Schottenheimer. Focused on Bradford's with Shurmer.

Bradford's system in college provided was about as helpful in evaluating his abilities as Mariota's this year.

Plausible? I don't know. I, more than most, believe that QB success is almost entirely dependent on their situation. A handful (Peyton, Brady, Luck, Rodgers) would thrive anywhere. The rest of the capable guys need to find themselves in a favorable situation.
JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 21 2015, 04:15 PM) *
In that regard, the two most puzzling things Chip has ever said were two of the things that give me greatest pause of his greatness:

1. When discussing Mark Sanchez and in his decision to sign him, he said he only looked at college film, no pro film.

2. When signing Sam Bradford, he said he signed him based on his pro film, and didn't watch his college film.

Those are head scratchers for me.

3. “I look for a quarterback who can run and not a running back who can throw. I want a quarterback who can beat you with his arm,” Kelly said, via Grantland. “We are not a Tim Tebow type of quarterback team. I am not going to run my quarterback 20 times on power runs.”

Signs Tim Tebow
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 21 2015, 07:45 PM) *
3. “I look for a quarterback who can run and not a running back who can throw. I want a quarterback who can beat you with his arm,” Kelly said, via Grantland. “We are not a Tim Tebow type of quarterback team. I am not going to run my quarterback 20 times on power runs.”

Signs Tim Tebow

Did Chip Kelly sign Tebow to be our starting QB? Do you think that's relevant to your irrelevant quote?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 22 2015, 08:26 AM) *
Did Chip Kelly sign Tebow to be our starting QB? Do you think that's relevant to your irrelevant quote?

The micro manage, pile on mentality confuses me. Tebow is competing for a job, a third string job but there are 'fans' who will bludgeon this and all of Kelly's moves because it doesn't fit with their uncontested, expert analysis.

Chip is building something and in a way that is unconventional. Because it's Kelly doesn't mean it will work and it doesn't mean it will fail. It's like a new concept of construction, sometimes we have to wait to see how it turns out before we know if it's good or not. I guess patience isn't in vogue.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 22 2015, 06:36 AM) *
The micro manage, pile on mentality confuses me. Tebow is competing for a job, a third string job but there are 'fans' who will bludgeon this and all of Kelly's moves because it doesn't fit with their uncontested, expert analysis.

Chip is building something and in a way that is unconventional. Because it's Kelly doesn't mean it will work and it doesn't mean it will fail. It's like a new concept of construction, sometimes we have to wait to see how it turns out before we know if it's good or not. I guess patience isn't in vogue.

I've always hated Tebow as a QB, but does anyone really think Chip is bringing him here to run more than 2 or 3 plays a game? Does he not offer more value than Matt Barkley?

Hypothetically, if the NFL changes the field goal/2 point conversion rules, Tebow offers a small amount of value in the swinging gate. Isn't that more value than Barkely, by itself?

I feel sorry for people that go through life so miserable and pessimistic.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 22 2015, 05:26 AM) *

We didn't sign Mark Sanchez to be our starting QB either but he did start the majority of the 2014 season... Whether you like it or not Tebow has a very real chance of starting for this team

Bradford is a perennially injured walking injury waiting to happen... chances of him getting traded/injured are already extremely high and he hasn't even stepped on the field yet

Sanchez is Mark Sanchez... Mark Sanchez is Mark Sanchez... it's Mark Sanchez...

Barkley... if he's still on the team by the start of the season that says more about the team then Barkley

Kinne... If we decide to go with 4 QBs he may sneak on the roster yet again but it won't be above Tebow

I feel like I have to explain everything to you, but then again you think Geno Smith is an amazing QB and Marcus Smith is a great 1st RD pick

#MariotaOrBust
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 22 2015, 08:56 AM) *
We didn't sign Mark Sanchez to be our starting QB either but he did start the majority of the 2014 season... Whether you like it or not Tebow has a very real chance of starting for this team

And if he does, do we have a better or worse chance than with Matt Barkley?

Bradford is a perennially injured walking injury waiting to happen... chances of him getting traded/injured are already extremely high and he hasn't even stepped on the field yet

Sanchez is Mark Sanchez... Mark Sanchez is Mark Sanchez... it's Mark Sanchez...

Barkley... if he's still on the team by the start of the season that says more about the team then Barkley

Kinne... If we decide to go with 4 QBs he may sneak on the roster yet again but it won't be above Tebow

I feel like I have to explain everything to you, but then again you think Geno Smith is an amazing QB and Marcus Smith is a great 1st RD pick

#MariotaOrBust

So your point is that we shouldn't have signed Tebow because Bradford is injury prone, Sanchez sucks, and Matt Barkley is a better option? Is that what you're saying? Because, yes, you're going to have to explain it to me.

Is there a more desirable option as our 3rd QB than a guy that at least has a playoff win under his belt and has a unique athletic skillset that our coach could potentially leverage?

To be clear, I think Geno Smith was and is a viable first round risk. I think if he gets adequate coaching (which still seems unlikely in NY) he can still be an above average starter. I don't give up on talented players after two years when they've been put in the worst situation in football.

I also think Marcus Smith has the athleticism to be a valuable member of our defense. I don't put much stock in his rookie year. I never have much faith in rookies. I think he can be a Carlos Emmons type. And I'd be perfectly happy with that.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 22 2015, 08:44 AM) *

Mikey's Two Items:

Chip signs a QB and says he doesn't look at the college film, only the pro film

Chip signs a QB and says he doesn't look at the pro film, only the college film

Then my third item

Chip says he doesn't a run a Tim Tebow QB type of team, signs Tim Tebow

One last one for the dreamers

Chip says he won't make a steep trade for Mariota, ships off Bradford + Picks for Mariota

*fingers crossed*
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 22 2015, 12:16 PM) *
Mikey's Two Items:

Chip signs a QB and says he doesn't look at the college film, only the pro film

Chip signs a QB and says he doesn't look at the pro film, only the college film

Then my third item

Chip says he doesn't a run a Tim Tebow QB type of team, signs Tim Tebow

One last one for the dreamers

Chip says he won't make a steep trade for Mariota, ships off Bradford + Picks for Mariota

*fingers crossed*

What does any of this have to do with my question. Do you think Barkley is a better option than Tebow if, god forbid, one of them is required to start games in 2015?
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 22 2015, 11:37 AM) *
What does any of this have to do with my question. Do you think Barkley is a better option than Tebow if, god forbid, one of them is required to start games in 2015?

I can make it even easier... I don't want the Eagles associated in any way, shape, or form, with any QB that comes from the college of USC

USC is a factory that produces garbage QBs by the truckload and we managed to land two of them

If the Football Gods are merciful Sanchez and Barkley will be far away from this team as possible by the time the season starts
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 22 2015, 12:47 PM) *
I can make it even easier... I don't want the Eagles associated in any way, shape, or form, with any QB that comes from the college of USC

USC is a factory that produces garbage QBs by the truckload and we managed to land two of them

If the Football Gods are merciful Sanchez and Barkley will be far away from this team as possible by the time the season starts

So then...

You are pleased with the fact that we signed Tebow to potentially replace one of the USC QB's?
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 22 2015, 11:57 AM) *
So then...

You are pleased with the fact that we signed Tebow to potentially replace one of the USC QB's?

Only one thing will please me...

#MariotaOrBust

Anything else is just wheel spinning
Joegrane
Hypothetically, if the NFL changes the field goal/2 point conversion rules, Tebow offers a small amount of value in the swinging gate. Isn't that more value than Barkely, by itself?

Didn't Tebow also serve as punt-protector while with the Jets?

So much of this hinges on the reports that Tebow's throwing mechanics have improved. If he can't throw accurately enough, teams won't respect the pass. We'll see how improved he is.

Is Kinne still eligible for the practice squad? If not, I would not be surprised if Chip uses a late round pick on a QB or signs an undrafted rookie. Maybe that will be his former Oregon QB Bryan Bennett.
JeeQ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.