Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did I see the Eagles just signed Tebow???
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Speed_Kills
Does that mean they are (or have) cutting Barkley?
rumply
Just read the 'news' - cannot remember a more bizarre offseason & the draft is still to come unsure.gif
El Cubano
This subject came up before, but it was just speculation then. I'm really hoping this is just a part of some trade scheme (either for MM or one of our many other depth chart needs).
Birdman420
If chip feels that he can't get his guy then he's going to get a quaterback that has the arm to make the throw and the legs to move the chains... even if that said quaterback happens to be Bradford/Tebow combo.

I think this would be a patchwork job at filling the position even granting Bradford his semi-elite status it falls short of what we need.

This is still part 1 in chips tenure of coaching in Philly, He's got a lot done since taking over but he still has a lot more to do which will take time and maybe up to a few drafts to sort out.

I'm enjoying the turn around and expect next to nothing in results this year, anything more will be a pleasant surprise.
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Apr 19 2015, 06:55 PM) *
Does that mean they are (or have) cutting Barkley?

Could be an extreme long shot, but maybe we found a possible trade partner for either Barkley, Bradford or Sanchez? I know that could be really hard to believe, mostly in Sanchez and Barkleys case but I just don't understand the reason to have 5 quarterbacks especially when we already have 2 that are unproven in Kinne and Barkley. It's obvious Chip is a huge fan of Madden though...
nephillymike
And over here we have the bearded lady!!!

This is the only thing I can think of.

None of the 3 QB's have the legs to run Chip's system.

The assumption is they are signing Tebow to play QB. If that's not the case then we're really in Barnum and Bailey world.

We have three RB's already, but no QB to keep the DE honest on the read option.

Could Tebow be the run the clock out QB, who comes in and runs the read option on multiple plays late in the game when we're trying to run out the clock? It could be a reverse Randall - Jaws scenario. Bring Tebow in on 1st and 2nd down late in the game and then Bradford or Sanchez on third down?

Or, since Bradford won't be ready until training camp at the earliest, is Tebow just an arm until then and nothing else?

That's all I got.

From a purely selfish point of view, I like it because it puts the Eagles more on talk radio which is a welcome thing for this Eagles junkie, especially given the sad state of the other franchises.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Apr 19 2015, 08:14 PM) *
Could be an extreme long shot, but maybe we found a possible trade partner for either Barkley, Bradford or Sanchez? ....

I assume Tebow is just a camp body at the moment, so none of the other QBs are affected--yet. The details of the contract might provide more clues.

With Bradford's health history I would not have any interest in trading Sanchez.

I was wondering if Kinne might be able to beat out Barkley for #3, especially since Chip would probably save a few $. Now I suppose the signing of Tebow means Chip does not see Kinne as more than a camp body and Barkley will have to play really well to get resigned. Maybe Chip is looking to cut Barkley's salary to free some cap space.

A csnphilly article suggested Chip was convinced by Tebow's QB trainer that Tebow has improved his game. We'll get to find out.

If Chip could make Sanchez look like a good #2 QB, maybe he can do the same for Tebow.

If Bradford decides to go elsewhere in 2016 it could be the Sanchez n Tebow show.

Maybe Chip is also convinced he is not getting a QB in the draft but is desperate to use his real offense with somebody!
nephillymike
Poor Sanchez.

He had to put up with the Tebow circus in NY and now here!

I have nothing against Tebow the person. By all accounts he's a great person. But man, he will get more press as a 3 qb trying to win a roster spot than most starting QB's!!
Dreagon
You guys are going to be fun to watch this year. It don't matter whether y'all go 12-4 or 4-12, you guys are going to be fun to watch.
nephillymike
If you have never seen this, you need to check it out.

Jimmy Fallon did this during the Broncos playoff run with Tebow a few years back.

Fallon is one talented guy and the subject is definitely on spot for today.

After five seconds, press the button to skip the ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09T8AUspQN0

nephillymike
Check out these funny tweets

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/tw...ews-accordingly
JeeQ
SAM I Am
Oh Christ. This guy is actually still bouncing around out there?

Great! Just Fucking Great!
Eyrie
I'm going to be positive.

Kinne is a camp body whose usefulness came from his familiarity with Kelly's system, but after two seasons he's no longer needed for that.

Barkely is Barkley, so he's gone.

And that means Kelly has taken a low risk gamble on a #3 QB who will never see the field.

Nope, doesn't work. Tebow? What the fuck?
JeeQ
Chip's trying to mould himself in the image of Bill Belichick but so far he's coming out like Rex Ryan
D Rock
Bellicheat had Tebow in his camp too.

Nice try, though....
SAM I Am
QUOTE (El Cubano @ Apr 19 2015, 07:29 PM) *
I'm really hoping this is just a part of some trade scheme.

Trade scheme? Who the fuck would want him. The last time the guy "played" a game was in 2012. This bullshit move just amazes me.

SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 19 2015, 10:14 PM) *
Poor Sanchez.

He had to put up with the Tebow circus in NY and now here!

I have nothing against Tebow the person. By all accounts he's a great person. But man, he will get more press as a 3 qb trying to win a roster spot than most starting QB's!!

I wouldn't be so sure about that. This guy isn't even a curiosity anymore at this point.
JeeQ
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 20 2015, 11:36 AM) *
Bellicheat had Tebow in his camp too.

Nice try, though....

He also has to use both hands to show off his 6 Super Bowl Rings...

Bill took Patrick Chung who the Eagles couldn't wait to get rid of and started him every game, put a Super Bowl ring on his finger, and signed him to a 3-year extension

One coach turns trash into treasure, and the other turns trash into garbage

Tebow didn't even make the 53-man roster on the Patriots; on the Eagles he may just start before the season is over

My comparison stands
mcnabbulous
One dude had a garbage record before he was gifted arguably the best QB of all time. The other has gone 20-12 with Vick, Foles and Sanchez as his QBs
samaroo
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 21 2015, 08:26 AM) *
One coach turns trash into treasure, and the other turns trash into garbage

My comparison stands

What trash did Chip turn into garbage? Your comparison is asinine.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 20 2015, 06:39 PM) *
One dude had a garbage record before he was gifted arguably the best QB of all time. The other has gone 20-12 with Vick, Foles and Sanchez as his QBs

He's about to be gifted his handcrafted, made in his image QB if he only takes it... and that son of a bitch better take it!

As for Big Bill he was already a 2-Time Super Bowl Champion Asst. Coach before taking on the reigns full time and winning 4 more... Also being gifted the greatest QB of all time doesn't do a damn thing for you as far as winning Super Bowls is concerned... ask any coach of Peyton Manning. Bill is often imitated, but never duplicated

Personally speaking, and this is another topic altogether so I'll keep it brief; I just can't stand how people act like the Patriots are a "culture" team of hard-workers who just play the game, yadda, yadda, bullshit... The Patriots are and have always been one of the most loaded with talent teams in the league year in and year out... but I digress

QUOTE (samaroo @ Apr 20 2015, 07:57 PM) *
What trash did Chip turn into garbage? Your comparison is asinine.

I have to admit I got ahead of myself there... I haven't given our trash time to fully evolve and reach it's final form of garbage... For if Brandon Graham turned his career around there's a chance Marcus Smith may double his total tackles this season...

After checking Marcus Smith's total tackles for last season let's just shoot for one tackle this go round
samaroo
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 21 2015, 02:03 PM) *
I have to admit I got ahead of myself there... I haven't given our trash time to fully evolve and reach it's final form of garbage...

Graham, Foles and 2013 Cooper might disagree with you.
Zero
Letís be real about what this is: Itís a trial. Itís a chance. Itís a coach who doesnít care about the distraction of having Tim Tebow in his camp, because he thinks Tebow might help his team. And about that distraction thing: Did you ever hear Bill Belichick or Robert Kraft or Tom Brady talk about Tebow being a distraction in Foxboro in 2013, when Tebow was on that team for the whole of training camp? No. Thatís because he wasnít one. He was cut by the Patriots because heís not an accurate passer and didnít fit their exacting scheme. Cutting Tebow was justified. Tebow didnít deserve to be on that team. He might deserve to be a cog in the wheel in Philadelphia. Weíll see.

Tebow getting signed by the Eagles is not the decline of western sporting civilization. It is a coach running an offensive system thatís a good fit for a mobile quarterback just looking into whether one of the best mobile quarterbacks in college football historyóand one, by the way, who beat the Dick LeBeau-led Steelers defense in an NFL playoff gameócan be That Guy. No harm, no foul.
Calm down ...
Zero
I'll add this for Lawlor:
Is it possible Chipís ego is part of this? Sure, thatís possible. I donít think it is, but Chip is a strange coach and he does see things differently. I think this says more about the lack of good QB choices than anything else. Kelly would love a great QB. He couldnít find one so he took a huge risk and dealt for Sam Bradford. He re-signed Sanchez, who was erratic last year. Now heís adding Tebow to the mix. Kelly is looking high and low for a QB. Why not take a flier on Tebow? Maybe his showing in the workout is better than any of us could have imagined.
Linc ...

Of course, the one hole in what he's saying is Foles. But what if Kelly just didn't think Foles would ever be more than a good QB? Never a championship QB? Never a winning SB QB? Then he uses him as a commodity, currency to get the best he's able to get that he thinks will be better than Foles. That may be Bradford and it may be using Bradford as another trading commodity. We'll see.

I do think it's kind of comical to see people fawn all over themselves because they 'know' how stupid these moves obviously are and they provide all the evidence to prove it. No doubt there's that chance, but the sheer audacity of what he's doing should at least create some question in even the biggest critics mind ... assuming there is a glimmer of intellectual honesty in that mind.

Kelly has little to no track record in the NFL. He hasn't proven anything to the 'big boys' but the rest of his resume is indicative of an extremely bright, innovative and successful football mind. Sure, it's all college but he's accomplished a lot more than Saban and Spurrier ... not that that is evidence of much ... yet.

Everyone I know who follows the NFL is more excited with this off season and for the up-coming season than they ever remember being. Mostly because of Chip Kelly and the Philadelphia Eagles. We may see another chapter of the Dream Team season but something tells me we won't be disappointed unless we want to be. Sure seems like there's a few of those around but I'm enjoying the intrigue. I also love that we have someone who has to balls to fail trying to be great. Playing it safe is the reason for my handle.

I can't wait until the draft!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 20 2015, 11:03 PM) *
He's about to be gifted his handcrafted, made in his image QB if he only takes it... and that son of a bitch better take it!

Having to trade into the top-5 and falling ass backwards into a guy in the 6th round are two very different things.

As for Big Bill he was already a 2-Time Super Bowl Champion Asst. Coach before taking on the reigns full time and winning 4 more...

Yeah, everyone just raved about Andy's SB ring as a GB assistant. Talk about reaching. Your schtick here is becoming more and more sad on a regular basis.

Also being gifted the greatest QB of all time doesn't do a damn thing for you as far as winning Super Bowls is concerned... ask any coach of Peyton Manning. Bill is often imitated, but never duplicated

This says more about Tom vs. Peyton than it does BB.

Personally speaking, and this is another topic altogether so I'll keep it brief; I just can't stand how people act like the Patriots are a "culture" team of hard-workers who just play the game, yadda, yadda, bullshit... The Patriots are and have always been one of the most loaded with talent teams in the league year in and year out... but I digress

Every team has talent. What the Patriots have is Tom Brady.

I have to admit I got ahead of myself there... I haven't given our trash time to fully evolve and reach it's final form of garbage... For if Brandon Graham turned his career around there's a chance Marcus Smith may double his total tackles this season...

After checking Marcus Smith's total tackles for last season let's just shoot for one tackle this go round

Are you yet to acknowledge that the guy responsible for Marcus Smith got demoted this offseason? Do I have to point out how many early round busts BB has drafted? Pay attention, man.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 21 2015, 03:50 AM) *

I was going to type out a reply to everything you posted but then I realized we're actually debating Chip Vs Bill "Swimming In A Pile Of Super Bowls" Belichick... These two aren't even in the same hemisphere as far as success goes

Then I thought back to what started this debate in the first place, me comically comparing Rex Ryan to Chip Kelly... Though I initially meant it solely in jest when you think about it Chip would be blessed to have a career as successful as Rex Ryan. Rex has multiple playoff wins, has been to two conference championship games, and has multiple wins over Bill Belichick. Chip has to aspire to Rex Ryan level before he can think of being Bill
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 21 2015, 11:23 AM) *
I was going to type out a reply to everything you posted but then I realized we're actually debating Chip Vs Bill "Swimming In A Pile Of Super Bowls" Belichick... These two aren't even in the same hemisphere as far as success goes

Then I thought back to what started this debate in the first place, me comically comparing Rex Ryan to Chip Kelly... Though I initially meant it solely in jest when you think about it Chip would be blessed to have a career as successful as Rex Ryan. Rex has multiple playoff wins, has been to two conference championship games, and has multiple wins over Bill Belichick. Chip has to aspire to Rex Ryan level before he can think of being Bill

Hey man, I think Belichick is a fine coach. I also acknowledge that before he was gifted Touchdown Tommy, the guy had a career 41-55 record. Including a 5-11 record with Bledsoe and largely the same team that won a SB the following year with Brady at the helm.

Had it not been for that fortunate turn of events, Belichick would probably be a really successful defensive coordinator somewhere right now.

If you can't see how a guy winning 20 games in two seasons with Vick, Foles, and Sanchez is impressive, I don't know what to tell you.

Zero
This article is what I would call a reasonable view of the Tebow signing. His summation shows he doesn't like the signing, but he also points out parts of Tebow that make sense with the Eagles. The bottom line I take from this is that Kelly probably knows he needs help at QB, looked at Tebow and said "let's see if I can do something."
Itís not an issue with Tebow himself, but a problem with the perception issue already surrounding this team. If Kelly gets his moves right ó if DeMarco Murray stays healthy and Byron Maxwell is a shutdown corner and they draft this yearís version of Odell Beckham Jr. in the first round ó nobody cares if the Eagles cut Tebow in August. If the other moves donít work out, the decision to sign Tebow will become a flashpoint, another sign that Kelly was just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something stuck.

Rightly or wrongly, Tebow could become the picture of what went wrong during the Kelly era. Itís the latest curiosity in an offseason full of risks for the leagueís most fascinating team.
Linc ...

As to the 'risks', this is something I applaud. Kelly could be either sinking the ship, supercharging it or just setting it adrift, but he's doing it all out in an effort to build a champion. I don't see it sinking, and there's only hope that he supercharges it, but it sure looks like the defense is getting better and I can understand if he didn't think Foles would be a SB QB, especially after last year. To me, that equates to either continued 'almost' or a need for dramatic moves because the odds of getting a SB QB in the sixth round aren't something a sane person bets on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.