Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All Quiet on the Western front ....
Eagles Forum > Off Topic Forums > Pissing in the Wind
Bocadelphia Eagles John
Looks like there is a chance of a long overdue "live and let live" which would be great for everybody.

Had to go to page 6 of posts at TOB before the very old wangutz sucks sentiment popped up for discussion started by some child name of Riccardo. But good to see that nobody was interested enough to add their reply and 2 cents repeat of the now overdone and boring theme. A good sign. Looks like a step in the right direction.

The existence of two places is really a very good idea, and makes it better for everybody intimately involved in the thoughts which led to them evolving. And for those that cross over into both arenas they seem to be enjoyed and appreciated in both discussions, which is terrific and indicates that things REALLY COULD work out perfect for everybody ...

I wish I could write this over there, but since my account has been deactivated I am prevented from giving my 2 pennies on it. Maybe someone from there might see this and spread the word that "live and let live" is a good thing for everybody.

And on this, everyone is in one voice and connected forever, no matter how deep the family feud has been .... ac6.gif

DALLAS SUCKS !!!!!

BRING 'EM ON !!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!! jumpclap.gif
bullwinkle
Boca, enough of them come over here anyway. So anything you write here is read my enough people over there for them to get it. Putting it over there would be like waving a red cape at a bull. they would feel obligated to charge it just to prove ....something.

It's good to be able to find football posts on both boards. I know it won't last, but I'll enjoy it while I can.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (bullwinkle @ Oct 3 2005, 07:46 PM)
I know it won't last

Well, we can make an effort FOR IT to last. if anything starts here, and we ignore it, then nothing will get started, and the stuff we want WILL last.

For some reason, I and a LOT of people like me, have a hard time ignoring what we don't like to see on a board. mad.gif

I will do my darndest to ignore any shit that might come here, if your prediction is true. wink.gif

If anything that tries to get started is ignored, it will just die it's own death.

And then .. there's something appealing about a good old internet fight blah.gif .. nobody gets hurt , no blood spilled, just a whole lot of name calling. And the people who sell the bandwith rake in all the dough. They must know something about human nature because I believe they're raking in billions.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!! jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif
md717
Nice sentiment, Boca.

Unfortunately the nature of TOB is such that they will never let it go. Ever. You thought last week's graphic was bad? Wait for this week's.

Meanwhile, I wonder how long it will take them to find my little "Easter Egg?" They probably never will, which will make it no less fun.

TOB Lurkers: ka.gif
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (md717 @ Oct 4 2005, 07:17 PM)
Unfortunately the nature of TOB is such that they will never let it go. Ever. You thought last week's graphic was bad? Wait for this week's.

Each day some member over there has been compelled to make some mention of wangnutz suck. I cannot believe that persons of the male gender are so compelled to have their silly little daily fix. There is a definate gender malfunction at work over there. It is, quite gay behaviour.

So, with such mental and character fortitude lacking from over there, I expect your prediction is probably correct, and we can expect some attempt at a grandiose gesture during Dallas sucks week. That, I am sorry to say, is to be expected. Why? Because there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

And nobody seems brave enough, or mature enough, to step in and suggest that maybe the time is ripe for a "time out" and a "cooling off". It seems there is an eagerness to continue and prolong.

Not one person is willing to do the right thing and suggest to their "friends" that it is now time to recognize that the main characters got what they ultimately wanted, and it has been long enough so now is as good a time as any to start on a path of mutual acceptance of each other's existence. It is time to face up to the reality of the situation. The level of over-reaction to wounded pride has gone far enough, and has gone on long enough. It HAS BEEN approximately 18 months after all. Any further extension of this really does border on the insane.

We know that some of the "players" from over there are .... now get ready for this ....parents. If this is the way they act here, I wonder about the type of character role model they set for their children. And I too am a parent so I have to look in my own mirror on that because I sure went off the deep end last week. So I made a less than good choice too.

All this fuss over a sports fan message board. Does any of what goes on make any sense at all within that context? I think not.

So ... when further insult is discovered, we over here, each of us, has a choice on how we will react. Ignoring it is my recommendation. That would render any attempt at such tom foolery wasteful, don't you think?

Suggestion for those who might want to continue the daily wangnutz sucks theme. Show your children what you are doing, and explain why. Tell them how it all started, and why you feel so compelled to carry on this way. Tell your children the choices available to you, and why you choose the one you are continuing with. Then explain to your children why you believer your choice is ultimately the most favored, and how it is a good lesson in life.

Think about it. Then make your choice. There are many options available to you. The ball's in your court.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!!

md717
Well said.

I have no problem with their existence, and they can consume themselves with whatever hateful BS they want. They can lie to themselves and join in a "Yes, that's right!" chorus with their leader if they choose.

Having said that, I reserve the right to call them on it, and conclude that they are reprobate and reprehensible human beings. Just yesterday I saw a post where one of them made a horrible and disparaging remark about a certain individual's physical disability. Not many replied, but none of their admins deleted it, either.

So to you lurkers who didn't protest to that remark, and to you admins over there who chose (up to this very minute) to let it stand -- you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (md717 @ Oct 5 2005, 12:15 AM)
none of their admins deleted it

I always had a difference of opinion when it came to that type of thing.

My stance has always been, in a society which holds high the right to free speech, in any free, frank and open exchange medium, people are free to say what they want. And that includes boards where the users (members) have to register in order to have access.

And in that regard, people are free to respond to whatever they see. And people are also free to ignore. i.e., if you don't like it, don't read it.

But the entire concept of cencorship really bothers me.

I didn't see the particular reference to which you refer so it is hard for me to have an opinion on it. In general though, if someone goes over the line I have no hesitation in saying so. But I am never in favor of censure. I think that places too huge a burden on the censor, gives too much power which is susceptible to abuse, and is the less preferred method.

Our founding fathers were brilliant in what they recognised and how they compensated for it in drafting the bill of rights. Genius at work.

So when it comes to boards like this, there was a time I used to urge "friends" to just stop reading posts from people like Dopey, Tshutters, AF and SlimyBill rather than attempt to chase them off or delete their stuff. There was frequent demand for censure.

The arguments raged long before the split. And that disagreement was central in what eventually became the split. The groundwork was set, based on human nature, and a disagreement about a "philosophy" on how a board should function.

And screwy human nature being what it is, people got what they wanted and STILL the arguments rage on, 18 months later. It really is, quite insane.

GOOOOOO EAGLES !!!

DALLAS SUCKS !!!!
md717
On this we have a slight disagreement.

I believe in free speech. You can say anything you want on the street (well, almost) or in your bedroom, or to your buddy over lunch.

However, "free speech" must never be confused with a "right to be heard" in my opinion.

So, in our current example of internet message boards -- someone has ultimate "ownership" insofar as the space is being purchased. If the group of individuals that run this particular slice of cyberspace say "No personal insults/attacks" then that's their prerogative, in my opinion. Then, on the basis of the rules/guidelines set forth I can decide whether or not to participate. But I am under no delusion that I somehow have a right to be heard on someone else's medium.

Were I to "own" an internet message board and someone were to presume to post something so hateful or vile in space *I* was personally paying for . . . I would delete it, "free speech" be damned.

My $.02
AustinFan
Laughter is the best remedy.

I just consider the source of insults and smile. You can only be insulted by people whose opinion you respect, being insulted by fools is like being barked at by dogs as you walk down the street.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (md717 @ Oct 5 2005, 12:54 AM)
My $.02

lots of value in them pennies.

It's a tough call, a judgement call.

On balance I prefer to let "free speech" reign, and there is something to gain by letting the slander sit there to be seen by others, just as an example of how low some people might choose to go with their words.

And then too, there are lessons to be learned. Sometimes the writer of the vile stuff realizes a mistake was made, and regrets are formed. That happened with words written by me and not just on Eagles fans boards either.

It's a judgement call, and I personally would not want the burden of having to decide.

Plus I think it's better if the participants police themselves, and find the courage to call somebody out when a line has been crossed. There's a lot to gain with a free and frank expression of opinion.

But your points are well noted and within the context of how you describe them , I would have no trouble adhering to such conduct guidelines and the appropriate penalty actions when breached.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!
md717
On balance I prefer to let "free speech" reign, and there is something to gain by letting the slander sit there to be seen by others, just as an example of how low some people might choose to go with their words.

Absolutely agree. And it's better if the community as a whole calls out a poster on an "over the line" comment rather than having it be imposed by administration, in my opinion.

And then too, there are lessons to be learned. Sometimes the writer of the vile stuff realizes a mistake was made, and regrets are formed. That happened with words written by me and not just on Eagles fans boards either.

Lord knows I've said/posted many things I've regretted later. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for regret to set in on the part of those we've been discussing, however. dry.gif

It's a judgement call, and I personally would not want the burden of having to decide.

Me either!! Leave that to the "pros." I gotta say I've been impressed with how these guys have handled that sort of thing. The private warnings I've received have always been low-key and almost apologetic in tone.

Plus I think it's better if the participants police themselves, and find the courage to call somebody out when a line has been crossed. There's a lot to gain with a free and frank expression of opinion.

Yup, see above.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
This little tidbit sneaked into my email. Daily words of wisdom.

Seemed apt bearing in mind my own, and the behviour of some of them over there. Mine hasn't been exemplary and some over there are being repetetive.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Aristotle
md717
Just for the record -- they still haven't found the "Easter Egg." Not for lack of looking, I'm sure.

It's pretty easy to find, actually -- just do a search on the word "wagnuts." cool.gif
Zero
QUOTE (md717 @ Oct 5 2005, 01:48 PM)
just do a search on the word "wagnuts." cool.gif

This...
user posted image

Or, this...
user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.