Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT, The Sixers Situation
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
So, let's recap.

We traded Jrue Holliday for the 11th pick and drafted Michael Carter Williams.

After winning ROY, we traded him and ended up with LAL pick, but it's protected for top five.

So as of now, after two full years of suckitude, we have

Noel
Embid

a lottery pick for this year, which has the 3rd best chance of getting the #1 pick and will be the third pick of the draft if all plays out by the %'s

AND

We have a 17% chance of getting the LAL pick this year (top 5 protected) if they slip out of the top five after the ping pong ball process

A 9% chance of getting the Heat's pick if they drop below 10 after the ping ping ball process.

a 0% of the OKC pick since it was protected unless it fell out of the lottery (ie if they made the playoffs)

Keep in mind, we could have had Holliday plus the 16th or so pick of the '13 draft instead of Williams.

So now, going forward, we get the Lakers pick next year unless it's top 3. BUT, if the Lakers are better, that pick could be 15 or worse.

We get Miami's pick unless it's top ten next year.

We get OKC's pick unless it's top 15.

We need each of these teams to be bad, but not so bad that they are bottom 3, bottom 10 or bottom 15, respectively.

Sounds like a bunch of IF's going into year three of the tank.

I'm not even going to touch on the Phils or Flyers issues.
Zero
I'm serious when I say "wake me when it's over." I know the 6ers are tanking and the Phils suck. That's where the gears are stuck for me. All Eagles, all the time ... or, in the case of this weekend ... yard work! Beautiful day today.
HobbEs
Okay, I'm not nitpicking but...

We traded Holiday for the 6th pick in the 2013 draft which was Nerlens Noel. We drafted MCW with our own pick which was 11th overall that year. MCW was Rookie of the Year in what was a very weak draft class.

Last year we took Embiid at #3. It's a high risk/high reward pick as he has a higher ceiling than either Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker. Also, don't forget with our 2nd pick in the first round we took Elfrid Payton and flipped him to the Magic for Dario Saric and the first round pick we gave up in the Bynum fiasco.

I wasn't on board with the MCW trade but the knock on him is that he's not a good shooter. Also, Noel really came on after that trade and may have a legit shot at Rookie of the Year.

So basically in two years Hinkie has undone the damage caused by the Bynum fiasco. We have a very good big in Noel and a possible elite Center with Embiid. We'll have a good pick this year (fingers crossed for D'Angelo Russell) and we have a very talented player stashed overseas. Through the process he's gotten a few good role players in Wroten, Covington and Robinson. I have no idea how the Heat, Lakers or Thunder picks will play out but they can always be used as trading chips as well.

After two years of suckage I don't think the future looks that bad. Okay, go ahead and call me a nitpicking Hinkie-bot.

mcnabbulous
I'm not a huge NBA guy, but I agree with Hobbes sentiment. I'm not sure how anyone can bitch about Hinkie's plan at this point.

This team has a chance to get really good, really fast. Some things need to fall right, but there is at least a light at the end of the tunnel. Unlike at CBP.
D Rock
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 20 2015, 03:47 PM) *

We traded Holiday for the 6th pick in the 2013 draft which was Nerlens Noel. We drafted MCW with our own pick which was 11th overall that year. MCW was Rookie of the Year in what was a very weak draft class.

Last year we took Embiid at #3. It's a high risk/high reward pick as he has a higher ceiling than either Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker. Also, don't forget with our 2nd pick in the first round we took Elfrid Payton and flipped him to the Magic for Dario Saric and the first round pick we gave up in the Bynum fiasco.

I wasn't on board with the MCW trade but the knock on him is that he's not a good shooter. Also, Noel really came on after that trade and may have a legit shot at Rookie of the Year.

So basically in two years Hinkie has undone the damage caused by the Bynum fiasco. We have a very good big in Noel and a possible elite Center with Embiid. We'll have a good pick this year (fingers crossed for D'Angelo Russell) and we have a very talented player stashed overseas. Through the process he's gotten a few good role players in Wroten, Covington and Robinson. I have no idea how the Heat, Lakers or Thunder picks will play out but they can always be used as trading chips as well.

After two years of suckage I don't think the future looks that bad. Okay, go ahead and call me a nitpicking Hinkie-bot.

Spot On!!!
nephillymike
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 20 2015, 09:47 AM) *

Good points. I forgot that Holliday was for the #6.

You seem like someone who is on top of it. So it seems that even if the remaining three picks we have turn to dust, you think we are not bad off.

I ask you to play devils advocate and map the road we could have gotten had we stayed put. Where did we get that 2nd pick in the 1st round that we traded for Saric? Would that have been ours anyway?

Map it out and see what you get for comparative purposes, if/when you get time.
HobbEs
Hey Mikey, I'm no expert but here's what I think could've happened...

In the 2013 draft we supposedly had a deal with New Orleans for Jrue Holiday if any of Anthony Bennett, Victor Oladipo or Nerlens Noel were on the board. We ended up with Noel and the Pelicans 2014 first round pick.

In the 2014 we had the #3 pick and the #11 (from the above deal) where we drafted Embiid and Payton. A few picks later we turned around and traded Payton to the Magic for Saric and the 2017 1st rounder we gave up in the Bynum deal. We also acquired a pick in the deal that sent Thaddeus Young to the Wolves, Wiggins to the Wolves and Kevin Love to the Cavs. I think it was the top 10 protected Heat pick but I'm not sure.

Anyway, two things happened that changed everything...Cleveland jumping up to the #1 spot in the draft and Joel Embiid's broken foot. No matter what comes out of the 76ers organization I think Wiggins was their guy. I also think Hinkie still does the Saric deal to recoup that lost pick.

So basically if we stay put and not do the magic deal we could've drafted either Doug McDermott or Zach Lavine (or even Saric straight up). Also, if you keep Thad Young your lineup looks something like this:

PG - MCW
SG - Lavine
SF - Young
PF - Noel
C - Embiid

The question is how would that lineup look with Wiggins instead of Embiid? I think part of the reason MCW was traded is because you (historically) want to pair a great post player with shooters...and MCW is not a shooter.

nephillymike
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 21 2015, 09:13 AM) *
Hey Mikey, I'm no expert but here's what I think could've happened...

In the 2013 draft we supposedly had a deal with New Orleans for Jrue Holiday if any of Anthony Bennett, Victor Oladipo or Nerlens Noel were on the board. We ended up with Noel and the Pelicans 2014 first round pick.

In the 2014 we had the #3 pick and the #11 (from the above deal) where we drafted Embiid and Payton. A few picks later we turned around and traded Payton to the Magic for Saric and the 2017 1st rounder we gave up in the Bynum deal. We also acquired a pick in the deal that sent Thaddeus Young to the Wolves, Wiggins to the Wolves and Kevin Love to the Cavs. I think it was the top 10 protected Heat pick but I'm not sure.

Anyway, two things happened that changed everything...Cleveland jumping up to the #1 spot in the draft and Joel Embiid's broken foot. No matter what comes out of the 76ers organization I think Wiggins was their guy. I also think Hinkie still does the Saric deal to recoup that lost pick.

So basically if we stay put and not do the magic deal we could've drafted either Doug McDermott or Zach Lavine (or even Saric straight up). Also, if you keep Thad Young your lineup looks something like this:

PG - MCW
SG - Lavine
SF - Young
PF - Noel
C - Embiid

The question is how would that lineup look with Wiggins instead of Embiid? I think part of the reason MCW was traded is because you (historically) want to pair a great post player with shooters...and MCW is not a shooter.

That makes sense. Thanks

I feel a little better about it.

What is your plan for this year after the draft? Go all out to win, or Tank III?
HobbEs
I don't know if I can handle Tank III. (It seems to be grating on Brett Brown as well). Depending on where we pick this year we could possible have our PG of the future in Mudiay or Russell. There's still a possibility that the Heat get bumped from the top 10 and that pick would then belong to us. I don't expect to see the Lakers pick until next year.

In a perfect world we grab our PG in Mudiay or Russell. We also get the Heat pick (in my perfect world) and take someone like Kelly Oubre from Kansas or Sam Dekker from Wisconsin. (Hell, I'd also be tempted to take Kaminsky depending on Embiid's health).

So where does that leave us? We have a nice big man rotation with Embiid, Noel and Thomas Robinson. We have Covington, Jerami Grant (who improved a lot as the year went on) and maybe Oubre/Dekker if we get the Heat pick at SF. Your Guard rotation would be Mudiay or Russell, Ish Smith and Tony Wroten who is coming back from injury.

I don't expect we'll add any big name free agents anytime soon. Now, this isn't a squad that will set the world on fire but I do expect them to make a substantial improvement and get us out of the tank zone. Keep in mind we'll get Saric who is tearing it up in Europe the following year along with 3 additional 1st round picks (ours, the Lakers and Thunder's).

What I'd like to see is steady improvement from here on out. I still remember those Pistons teams back in the day and how they improved year after year. I hope we can do something similar.

Now with all that being said watch Hinkie turn around and draft Okafor or trade Noel/Embiid for a future 1st round pick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.