Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Local talk radio
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
WIP used to be the unchallenged sports talk station in Philadelphia. Not sure about the ratings, but otherwise that has changed. 97.5, at least in my opinion has body slammed them in the afternoon slot and although Mike and Ike aren't bad I tuned out the morning hysterics years ago. I used to like Garagano with most of his pairings even if he did get a bit annoying at times. He's a good reporter and has pretty reliable sources that tend to give him solid information. He also has good knowledge of the major sports.

97.5 has announced that Anthony Gargano and John Marks will be doing a morning show, replacing Mike and Mike from ESPN (I liked them) and will go head to head with Cataldi and his drama show. Great news!
Linc ...
nephillymike
Good for the Cuz.

Met him a few times and he's a nice guy.

I really like the Jon and Sean show. Was disappointed Brace was left go.

I would prefer local sports on two stations as opposed to the national Mike and Mike. I liked M & M but would prefer local stuff.

That's a tough draw for the Cuz. I don't think he has a shot to beat Cataldi, but WIP will have to bring a better game which should benefit all.

Overall, I thought 97.5 passed WIP years ago. Except for R. Diddy, there is no one on WIP I HAVE to hear. I listen to the AM show b/c nothing else is on and I love Olney boy CDHS grad Joe Conklin, but 975 is the better option.

Should be interesting.
BirdsWinBaby
IMO...

Jon and Sean was a HORRIBLE show. both Jon and Sean were former producers. not longtime radio vets. they used to chime in with the host once in a while when producing for him....it didnt prepare them for filling several hours of JUST THEIR VOICES. its why the show failed

Gargano failed because they tried to put him up against Mike Miss. MM destroyed the Cuz for several reasons which i wont go into here. the fact that WIP failed once again to topple MM, after several attempts, for the drivetime radio slot says more than i can with words. Cuz is annoying as **** (again for several reasons) and IMO should not ever see the airwaves ever again

after Mike Miss drives this clown off the radio....97.5 brings him back as an asset for their station? havent the people spoken? loud and friggin clear? yes i know that he wont be with Mike Miss (thank god) but Cataldi is a RADIO STAPLE for the morning hours! yes he is an annoying blowhard who fake laughs so much i just listen to news instead of sports....but he is 25yrs in. he has a loyal following

Gargano sucks and so does Marks. they are both rejects from failed radio shows and THAT is how 97.5 is going to compete with Cataldi? WIP mornings arent great but they will put the Cuz/Marks show in the dirt with no trouble
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 15 2015, 07:40 PM) *
IMO...

Jon and Sean was a HORRIBLE show. both Jon and Sean were former producers. not longtime radio vets. they used to chime in with the host once in a while when producing for him....it didnt prepare them for filling several hours of JUST THEIR VOICES. its why the show failed

Gargano failed because they tried to put him up against Mike Miss. MM destroyed the Cuz for several reasons which i wont go into here. the fact that WIP failed once again to topple MM, after several attempts, for the drivetime radio slot says more than i can with words. Cuz is annoying as **** (again for several reasons) and IMO should not ever see the airwaves ever again

after Mike Miss drives this clown off the radio....97.5 brings him back as an asset for their station? havent the people spoken? loud and friggin clear? yes i know that he wont be with Mike Miss (thank god) but Cataldi is a RADIO STAPLE for the morning hours! yes he is an annoying blowhard who fake laughs so much i just listen to news instead of sports....but he is 25yrs in. he has a loyal following

Gargano sucks and so does Marks. they are both rejects from failed radio shows and THAT is how 97.5 is going to compete with Cataldi? WIP mornings arent great but they will put the Cuz/Marks show in the dirt with no trouble

Why won't you go into it here? Say what you know.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 15 2015, 08:43 PM) *
Why won't you go into it here? Say what you know.

no im not saying like inside info...i just didnt want to hijack the thread with me going over all the bad things folks say about Gargano. his overdone Cuz persona, the Souf' philly thing, thats AWESUUUUMM!!, lets hear more about your kid, sucking up to players, coaches, on and on and on.

i hear his voice and i turn IMMEDIATELY!. 97.5 thought it would be a nice April Fools joke to let Gargano open Mike Miss' 2pm show with his signature "Good Afternoon Everybodaaay"...i turned it on, heard his act, forgot it was 4/1, and turned it off for KYW. he was literally on for like 10mins

i didnt find out it was a joke until the next day. i resigned to listening to news instead if MM somehow got whacked on 97.5 for Cuz

EDIT: oh yea im not alone. MM spent the next several days joking with people who called to say WTF MAN! dont do that!
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 15 2015, 07:54 PM) *
no im not saying like inside info...i just didnt want to hijack the thread with me going over all the bad things folks say about Gargano. his overdone Cuz persona, the Souf' philly thing, thats AWESUUUUMM!!, lets hear more about your kid, sucking up to players, coaches, on and on and on.

i hear his voice and i turn IMMEDIATELY!. 97.5 thought it would be a nice April Fools joke to let Gargano open Mike Miss' 2pm show with his signature "Good Afternoon Everybodaaay"...i turned it on, heard his act, forgot it was 4/1, and turned it off for KYW. he was literally on for like 10mins

i didnt find out it was a joke until the next day. i resigned to listening to news instead if MM somehow got whacked on 97.5 for Cuz

Yeah I hear you on some of those things.

With him and MM on the same station, it will be an overdose of "violations" schtick.
Zero
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 15 2015, 08:54 PM) *

EDIT: oh yea im not alone. MM spent the next several days joking with people who called to say WTF MAN! dont do that!
You're on target about Gargano's act but before he got into all that he was pretty good. He knows the sports and seems to have the trust of lots of players and people like Diddy. I get a migraine listening to the whiny Cataldi. The only time he was any good was in the beginning when he was paired with Brooky.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 15 2015, 08:59 PM) *
Yeah I hear you on some of those things.

With him and MM on the same station, it will be an overdose of "violations" schtick.

agreed

however i was actually listening to talk radio back in the Mike Miss & Steve Fredericks days, LOOOOONG before Gargano was on the scene...and they were doing 'Violations' back then

the fact that the Cuz stole that from MM, made it his own, with no credit to where he clearly got it from...just illustrates how fake-ass that whole Cuz thing was/is/will always be

nobody stole 'Jody Mac, do me a favor'....'violations' should have the same respect
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 15 2015, 09:07 PM) *
You're on target about Gargano's act but before he got into all that he was pretty good. He knows the sports and seems to have the trust of lots of players and people like Diddy. I get a migraine listening to the whiny Cataldi. The only time he was any good was in the beginning when he was paired with Brooky.

i have never heard any of Cataldi with Brookie....by all accounts i missed out on something really special before Cataldi was allowed to run amok
Zero
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 15 2015, 09:07 PM) *
agreed

however i was actually listening to talk radio back in the Mike Miss & Steve Fredericks days, LOOOOONG before Gargano was on the scene...and they were doing 'Violations' back then

the fact that the Cuz stole that from MM, made it his own, with no credit to where he clearly got it from...just illustrates how fake-ass that whole Cuz thing was/is/will always be

nobody stole 'Jody Mac, do me a favor'....'violations' should have the same respect

I didn't realize 'violations' was a Missy thing. I always assumed it was just a S Philly street thing. I realize MM is from Bristol but, still.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 16 2015, 04:40 AM) *
I didn't realize 'violations' was a Missy thing. I always assumed it was just a S Philly street thing. I realize MM is from Bristol but, still.

Not sure, but I thought MM took it from Cuz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.