Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chip Kelly Has His Eyes Set On... Johnny Manziel?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
According to a source very close to an agent involved in the trade talks, the Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles have engaged in multiple discussions to send Browns QB Johnny Manziel, who is currently in rehab, and draft picks, to the Eagles in exchange for Eagles QB Sam Bradford, who was recently acquired via trade from the St. Louis Rams.

According to our source, both sides are very motivated to get a deal done, with each side valuing the otherís QB more than the QB currently on their rosters.

There are two major sticking points that are holding up a deal being reached:

1. Sam Bradford becomes an unrestricted free agent after the 2015 season, and the Browns are looking for Bradford to sign a 4 year contract as part of the deal, something Bradford has been reluctant to do. The main reason for Bradfordís resistance to signing with the Browns is the dollar figures thrown out (half the annual salary he makes currently Ė $12.9MM) and uncertainty of the Browns organization, from coaching staff to ownership to potential teammates.

2. The Eagles want Manziel AND a 1st round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. The Browns hold two 1st round picks (#12 and #19), but have not been willing to give up a 1st rounder to get the deal done. The Browns started negotiations by offering their 3rd round pick along with Manziel, and recently budged to include their 2nd round pick (#43 overall) but are not willing to go into the 1st round unless the Eagles offer more in return than just Bradford.

Our source went further and said that the Eagles are also hell-bent on moving up into the top 2-4 picks in the NFL Draft to select Marcus Mariota (who played under Eagles coach Chip Kelly at Oregon) and need the Browns 1st round pick to be a part of the deal so they can then use it as part of a deal to move into the top 4.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly covets Manzielís skills and ability to pass the ball on the move, while potentially providing an enviable QB competition with Mariota if the Eagles can maneuver well enough to have both young QBís on the roster.

BirdsWinBaby
source or it didnt happen!

just want source so i can say how crappy that source is...lol

this cant happen to my team...it cant
BirdsWinBaby
this would almost be like Mike Miss beating Anthony Gargano so badly in the drive home radio slot that Gargano's show loses ratings and WIP FIRES Cuz

and then....hearing that same annoying as **** Cuz BS on the same show WITH Mike Miss?

i mean....that NEVER happens, right!?...right?
rumply
Dreagon
That actually wouldn't surprise me. If he can get his head right, Manziel would fit rather well in Kelly's system.
samaroo
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 7 2015, 11:33 AM) *
That actually wouldn't surprise me. If he can get his head right, Manziel would fit rather well in Kelly's system.

NONONONONONONONONONONONO! You keep that Jerry Jones stuff in Texas!

Sorry Johnny, seats taken.
Dreagon
QUOTE (samaroo @ Apr 7 2015, 02:46 AM) *
NONONONONONONONONONONONO! You keep that Jerry Jones stuff in Texas!

Sorry Johnny, seats taken.

Oh trust me, I know Manziel's shortcomings and was direly afraid Jones would take him. But my fear was based on the fact that we run a fairly standard NFL style offense, and Manziel had no experience with that.

On the other hand, Texas A&M's offense was similar to Kelly's which would flatten the learning curve. And take it from somebody who got to watch Manziel play in a lot of games, his talent is real. He's fast, improvisational, accurate, and he finds ways to win. If he gets his head on right in time, he could be a real asset for the right team.

His problem is he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and was the rich man's kid in a small town. Combine that with being the star quarterback in a state where high school football is huge, and he simply coasted through life without ever paying the consequences for his mistakes. It threatened to catch up with him at A&M, but once again his status shielded him. But all the status in the world won't stop you from becoming an alcoholic and now that has caught up with him. Truthfully, I would put the odds at 50% his career is over....and up those odds to 90% unless he can find a team he's a good fit for. I'm just saying that schemewise, you guys are one of those teams.
Eyrie
It looks like my signature was prescient.

Time to tell Cleveland they have two choices - either we get Manziel and #12 for Bradford, or it's a straight swap of #19 for Bradford.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 7 2015, 07:33 AM) *
Oh trust me, I know Manziel's shortcomings and was direly afraid Jones would take him. But my fear was based on the fact that we run a fairly standard NFL style offense, and Manziel had no experience with that.

On the other hand, Texas A&M's offense was similar to Kelly's which would flatten the learning curve. And take it from somebody who got to watch Manziel play in a lot of games, his talent is real. He's fast, improvisational, accurate, and he finds ways to win. If he gets his head on right in time, he could be a real asset for the right team.

His problem is he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and was the rich man's kid in a small town. Combine that with being the star quarterback in a state where high school football is huge, and he simply coasted through life without ever paying the consequences for his mistakes. It threatened to catch up with him at A&M, but once again his status shielded him. But all the status in the world won't stop you from becoming an alcoholic and now that has caught up with him. Truthfully, I would put the odds at 50% his career is over....and up those odds to 90% unless he can find a team he's a good fit for. I'm just saying that schemewise, you guys are one of those teams.

If we manage to land Mariota and Manziel on the same roster I'll never say a bad thing about Chip for the rest of the season
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 7 2015, 10:33 AM) *

I am no way a Manziel fan, but as the #3 on the Eagles? Sanchez is pretty cemented as the #2 for two years, right? If the Eagles trade Bradford to Cleveland for Manziel and the #12 and then, someway somehow can manage to turn the #12 and #20 (maybe add in Kendricks ... UGH!) to draft Kelly's boy? Manziel becomes the throw in to get him out of Cleveland and is a low risk addition to the roster that pretty much fits with what Kelly has been doing since February. Maybe Manziel has learned his lesson but the team would clear significant cap space with the moves and have a potentially deep QB rotation (albeit unproven) and potentially a player they could move in the future to get a player or a pick.

Year of IF.
nephillymike
I would be happy with #19 for Bradford.

Anything less, we're screwed. And by screwed I mean stuck with a $13M/yr Sam Bradford as our starting QB.

I find it interesting that Kelly is interested in Manziel, when he could have picked him last year in the 22nd slot but opted no and now the guy is damaged goods and well documented damaged work ethic.

I'd take him off Cleveland's hands to make the deal work to get the 19th pick but then I'd turn around and trade him for a conditional 5th or less just to get rid of him. No thank you!

On the bright side, at least there are discussions which is better than no discussions as discussions are necessary start to getting Mariota.

Of course everyone and their mother is all of a sudden interested in Mariota. The Bucs, the Bears, the Skins. Everyone trying to get some action in our mad dash to the top of the draft.

At least it's not boring.

May ruin us for years, but not boring.

I think we can get MM, but I think he needs to get to #6 to do it reasonably.
JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 8 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Anything less, we're screwed. And by screwed I mean stuck with a $13M/yr Sam Bradford as our starting QB.

I find it interesting that Kelly is interested in Manziel, when he could have picked him last year in the 22nd slot but opted no and now the guy is damaged goods and well documented damaged work ethic.

I'd take him off Cleveland's hands to make the deal work to get the 19th pick but then I'd turn around and trade him for a conditional 5th or less just to get rid of him. No thank you!

On the bright side, at least there are discussions which is better than no discussions as discussions are necessary start to getting Mariota.

Of course everyone and their mother is all of a sudden interested in Mariota. The Bucs, the Bears, the Skins. Everyone trying to get some action in our mad dash to the top of the draft.

At least it's not boring.

May ruin us for years, but not boring.

I think we can get MM, but I think he needs to get to #6 to do it reasonably.

In my nightmares I see Mariota throwing touchdowns to DeSean Jackson... Skins fucking us over just to fuck us over... classic NFC: East fashion
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 8 2015, 12:17 PM) *

You didn't see Peter King' s report eh?

The Browns want Bradford to agree to sign an extension before they trade for him. Bradford wisely refuses to do that with them.....cuz, well.....it's the Browns and one year is enough. So I don't blame Bradford for his refusal, but that means that the only other team that could help you get MM and is also interested in Bradford is out of play

In other news I hear Bradford's rehab is going great and he MIGHT be ready for TC...lol
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Apr 8 2015, 11:50 AM) *
In my nightmares I see Mariota throwing touchdowns to DeSean Jackson... Skins fucking us over just to fuck us over... classic NFC: East fashion

In those nightmares do the skinz have a 4-12 record? If so, they can have The Lord tossing Hail Mary's to his son Jesus Christ and I wouldn't give a rats ass about the team.

*no blasphemy intended
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 8 2015, 01:35 PM) *
You didn't see Peter King' s report eh?

The Browns want Bradford to agree to sign an extension before they trade for him. Bradford wisely refuses to do that with them.....cuz, well.....it's the Browns and one year is enough. So I don't blame Bradford for his refusal, but that means that the only other team that could help you get MM and is also interested in Bradford is out of play

In other news I hear Bradford's rehab is going great and he MIGHT be ready for TC...lol

Like you or someone else said, Bradford holds all the cards, unless we threaten to cut him and he can't make as much on the free market, but he may be able to land a one year deal some where that is more attractive than Browns but less pay but a better long term landing spot.

You mention that the only other team that could help us get MM, were you talking about the Browns or someone else?

Now fast forward. If the trade with CLE doesn't happen, and we try to convince Bradford to go, and Murray gets upset that the guy who recruited him is leaving, then Coach College may get an education in NFL Free Agent Relations.

mcnabbulous
You guys make a way bigger deal out of these "relations" related to free agents than reality. These dudes will go where the money takes them. If they think they can win, it only helps more.

The idea that other free agents wouldn't come here because we "convinced" (see: gave more money to) Demarco Murray with the idea he'd be playing with his buddy is silly.

These are grown ass men trying to get paid.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 8 2015, 02:28 PM) *
You guys make a way bigger deal out of these "relations" related to free agents than reality. These dudes will go where the money takes them. If they think they can win, it only helps more.

The idea that other free agents wouldn't come here because we "convinced" (see: gave more money to) Demarco Murray with the idea he'd be playing with his buddy is silly.

These are grown ass men trying to get paid.

I disagree.

It matters.

We just had Gore back out of his verbal deal with us because of advertised bad vibes.

Is it the be all end all? No.

but does it matter to a player with options in free agency? YES

May it cost us a premium in our offer to land someone? YES

Murray it was reported, turned down more money elsewhere. So it wasn't all about the money with him.

It matters.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 8 2015, 03:22 PM) *
Like you or someone else said, Bradford holds all the cards, unless we threaten to cut him and he can't make as much on the free market, but he may be able to land a one year deal some where that is more attractive than Browns but less pay but a better long term landing spot.

You mention that the only other team that could help us get MM, were you talking about the Browns or someone else?

Now fast forward. If the trade with CLE doesn't happen, and we try to convince Bradford to go, and Murray gets upset that the guy who recruited him is leaving, then Coach College may get an education in NFL Free Agent Relations.

Yea I meant the browns. The only other team that showed any interest in returning the Rams' calls about trading Bradford was the bills who don't have draft picks

The browns want Bradford and they have picks that Chip wants, but Bradford is holding that up
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 8 2015, 12:08 PM) *
In those nightmares do the skinz have a 4-12 record? If so, they can have The Lord tossing Hail Mary's to his son Jesus Christ and I wouldn't give a rats ass about the team.

*no blasphemy intended

Heaven forbid they go 4-12... they'll just end up taking next years draft pick that we'll be coveting laugh.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 8 2015, 01:43 PM) *
We just had Gore back out of his verbal deal with us because of advertised bad vibes.

He got paid more to go to Indy.

Murray it was reported, turned down more money elsewhere. So it wasn't all about the money with him.

That elsewhere was Oakland, if I'm not mistaken.

It matters.

Money and winning matter. Everything else is pure speculation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.