Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles sign Austin
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Eyrie
One year deal for an ageing WR, so it looks like we've added depth rather than the missing starter opposite Mathews.

Linc
JeeQ
An injury plagued player coming off a season-ending injury... definite Chip Kelly player

On the plus side at least Riley Cooper finally has some competition for worst WR on the roster... Jeff Maehl you've just been put on notice

BirdsWinBaby
We can rebuild him. Chip has the Sports Technology.

Better.....stronger....faster!
Zero
laugh.gif

But this is a good depth signing and low risk. There's plenty of potential in the draft.
samaroo
I like how he'll still count $5M against Dallas this year.
Dreagon
You might as well issue his hamstrings their own jersey numbers right now, because you'll hear more about them than Miles himself.

He really did have a lot of potential, and that one season he showed what he could do when he remained healthy (naturally, a contract year). He is a very good after the catch runner with average to slightly below average hands. Is famous for coming up lame after big catches where nobody touches him.
samaroo
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 31 2015, 09:37 AM) *
You might as well issue his hamstrings their own jersey numbers right now, because you'll hear more about them than Miles himself.

He really did have a lot of potential, and that one season he showed what he could do when he remained healthy (naturally, a contract year). He is a very good after the catch runner with average to slightly below average hands. Is famous for coming up lame after big catches where nobody touches him.

Replace "is" with "was" or "could have been" and I agree. I expect next to nothing from him. 20-30 rec, 150 yds, 0 td.
nephillymike
In an odd look at the math of the situation, the net cost of keeping Maclin is now only 8.7M. (11M-2.3M for MA)

Me still thinks that was a stupid thing to let him go.

We'll see.
JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2015, 06:34 PM) *
In an odd look at the math of the situation, the net cost of keeping Maclin is now only 8.7M. (11M-2.3M for MA)

We'll see.

Careful Mikey Numbers they'll hear you... every time I mention it the usual suspects show up to explain why Maclin wasn't worth the extra $1M the Chiefs offered

It's all they have left ever since Murray & Matthews ended up costing us more than Shady
samaroo
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 31 2015, 11:34 AM) *
Careful Mikey Numbers they'll hear you... every time I mention it the usual suspects show up to explain why Maclin wasn't worth the extra $1M the Chiefs offered

It's all they have left ever since Murray & Matthews ended up costing us more than Shady

I don't get how Mikey's math matters to keeping Maclin, but I don't math good.

As to the other, I thought we should've kept Maclin for the extra $1.5M. Was he worth it? Not really, in my opinion. But it was worth that much to not have that hole on the roster, so I thought we should've paid it.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 30 2015, 08:34 PM) *

We'll see.

How do you let a free agent "go" if he chooses to sign somewhere else? Are you assuming that a matched offer would have convinced him to stay?

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 30 2015, 09:34 PM) *

The combined cap hit of Murray/Mathews for 2015 is 7 million. Under the Eagles contract, McCoy's cap hit would have been 11.95 million. You can't assume that he would have re-negotiated his contract with us.

However, since you instst on assuming, using his restructured contract with the Bills, McCoy is guaranteed $26,500,000 (of his revised contract). Which is equal to that of both Mathews and Murray. 2 for 1 is always a better deal, especially when one of them is the rushing leader from the previous season.
Phits
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 30 2015, 11:16 PM) *
I don't get how Mikey's math matters to keeping Maclin, but I don't math good.

As to the other, I thought we should've kept Maclin for the extra $1.5M. Was he worth it? Not really, in my opinion. But it was worth that much to not have that hole on the roster, so I thought we should've paid it.

I think that is oversimplifying it. Maclin left for another team over 1.5 million per. To stay with the Eagles, you would have to first determine what is the ceiling or perceived value for his contract. Also, factor in the same value for KC. Is he worth a bidding war for his services?

I like Maclin as an Eagle. I think he is a complete WR, even though he is a little smaller than I would ideally prefer. With that said, (by all reports) he was made a fair market price to stay on with us and he chose to go another route. I would rather address a roster hole than to overpay for talent....which we learned the hard way with Riley Cooper.
Dreagon
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 30 2015, 08:02 PM) *
Replace "is" with "was" or "could have been" and I agree. I expect next to nothing from him. 20-30 rec, 150 yds, 0 td.

I just remembered, he was also an outstanding kickoff returner but we quit using him for that once he made the starting lineup.
samaroo
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 31 2015, 11:01 PM) *
I think that is oversimplifying it. Maclin left for another team over 1.5 million per. To stay with the Eagles, you would have to first determine what is the ceiling or perceived value for his contract. Also, factor in the same value for KC. Is he worth a bidding war for his services?

I like Maclin as an Eagle. I think he is a complete WR, even though he is a little smaller than I would ideally prefer. With that said, (by all reports) he was made a fair market price to stay on with us and he chose to go another route. I would rather address a roster hole than to overpay for talent....which we learned the hard way with Riley Cooper.

I agree. My comment was based on the assumption that he would've stayed had we matched KC's offer. I don't think he's worth the $ he got, but I thought it would have been justified. I would have rather "overpayed" $1.5M for Maclin than $2.3M for Austin.

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 31 2015, 11:26 PM) *
I just remembered, he was also an outstanding kickoff returner but we quit using him for that once he made the starting lineup.

Yeah, I kind of remember that now, too. However, I don't think there's a battery-centered snowball's chance in hell he does that here.
nephillymike
Yes, I am saying he stays with a matched offer, or maybe even one a little closer to the KC number with some incentives. Deep in his heart, he knows Chip's offense is better for him than Alex Smith.

They also could have franchised him and worked out a deal.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but if they franchised him, waited, and then made him the highest paid WR in free agency, I think we would have gotten him for around what we offered. Who got paid more than Maclin? Who was 2nd to his deal.

It would be hard for him to argue that he got paid as the highest FA WR after we franchised him. It wouldn't come off as a Banner low ball, but as a more than fair deal that just happened to be cheaper than the deal he signed with KC.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 1 2015, 11:28 AM) *
Yes, I am saying he stays with a matched offer, or maybe even one a little closer to the KC number with some incentives. Deep in his heart, he knows Chip's offense is better for him than Alex Smith.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but if they franchised him, waited, and then made him the highest paid WR in free agency, I think we would have gotten him for around what we offered. Who got paid more than Maclin? Who was 2nd to his deal.

It would be hard for him to argue that he got paid as the highest FA WR after we franchised him. It wouldn't come off as a Banner low ball, but as a more than fair deal that just happened to be cheaper than the deal he signed with KC.

I thought the franchise tag meant a one-year contract that is the average of the top 5 paid in that position? If that's true, than we would've had to pay him $12,992,850, from what I found here.
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 31 2015, 09:36 PM) *
I thought the franchise tag meant a one-year contract that is the average of the top 5 paid in that position? If that's true, than we would've had to pay him $12,992,850, from what I found here.

Yes Sammy that is true.

However, my intent was to franchise him to buy time to work out a deal. His 13M one year deal would be high, but Maclin would want the non franchise deal b/c it would offer him more in guaranteed money, even if paid over two or more years of the guarantee.

So Mac would be on a one year franchise deal of 13M. Not exactly minimum wage. But after franchising him and letting the market settle, we could have offered him more than any other FA WR got with close to $20M guaranteed and removed the franchise label and all would be good. I think that would have worked. Would he be pissed about ending up with the highest FA WR deal? I can't see it.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 1 2015, 12:00 PM) *
Yes Sammy that is true.

However, my intent was to franchise him to buy time to work out a deal. His 13M one year deal would be high, but Maclin would want the non franchise deal b/c it would offer him more in guaranteed money, even if paid over two or more years of the guarantee.

So Mac would be on a one year franchise deal of 13M. Not exactly minimum wage. But after franchising him and letting the market settle, we could have offered him more than any other FA WR got with close to $20M guaranteed and removed the franchise label and all would be good. I think that would have worked. Would he be pissed about ending up with the highest FA WR deal? I can't see it.

Okay, I see what you're saying. And I think you're right, that seems like it could have worked out. The strange thing for me with this is Maclin himself. I know it's a business, and everyone's trying to get paid, but he never seemed like the "cash grab" type of person to me. Before he left, I would've bet that he would've stayed here if our offer was within $1-2M of someone else's. The fact that we didn't match KC I disagree with, but understand from a business standpoint. The fact that JMac left for that is stranger to me.

For the record, I'd play for Dallas for way less than that! cool.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 31 2015, 10:11 PM) *
Okay, I see what you're saying. And I think you're right, that seems like it could have worked out. The strange thing for me with this is Maclin himself. I know it's a business, and everyone's trying to get paid, but he never seemed like the "cash grab" type of person to me. Before he left, I would've bet that he would've stayed here if our offer was within $1-2M of someone else's. The fact that we didn't match KC I disagree with, but understand from a business standpoint. The fact that JMac left for that is stranger to me.

For the record, I'd play for Dallas for way less than that! cool.gif

Someone said that he felt disrespected when they went after the other FA's when his deal wasn't done. I think it was Eskin who said that. But he doesn't seem bitter. I guess $11M takes the edge off!!
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 1 2015, 12:27 PM) *
Someone said that he felt disrespected when they went after the other FA's when his deal wasn't done. I think it was Eskin who said that. But he doesn't seem bitter. I guess $11M takes the edge off!!

Ha! Yeah I bet it does! biggrin.gif

But to your first point, the beginning of FA is always pretty fast and furious. Why would he be upset with the team aggressively trying to improve. If we had gone after Demariyus Thomas and Fitz, I could see that as being a bit offensive, but at that point it was a reserve LB, and a S, right? That just doesn't seem to add up to me.

Now, if Big Red told him he wanted him, and would pay up a bit to get him, I could understand that more easily. Like you said before, I think he knows he won't do as well in KC (but who knows?), but maybe he really likes Andy. He always was a players' coach, and looks really huggable. Maybe he just missed the big guy!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 31 2015, 10:28 PM) *

I was surprised they didn't tag him. I wish they had.
BirdsWinBaby
Mac wasnt worth the money he got IMO....signing Austin is about depth, not replacing Mac. hopefully Chip isnt done

the Eagles didnt rush to pay him a super contract and AR did...so seeya
D Rock
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 31 2015, 02:34 AM) *

Do you idiots REALLY believe Maclin is worth Calvin Johnson money?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

He's a good receiver. GOOD. Not great. (read: very replaceable)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.