Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why did the Saints trade Graham?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I thought Jimmy Graham was one of the best TEs in the league. He was a matchup nightmare at 28, 6'7", 265, 4.56 and good hands. An offensive minded coach gives up a dangerous offensive weapon for a draft pick and a center. Almost a second rounder and a center.

I didn't think that the OL was a strength of Seattle and they give up a key player? The draft is still a crapshoot, so why would Payton dump a proven commodity for an OL and an unknown?
samaroo
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 30 2015, 01:17 AM) *
I thought Jimmy Graham was one of the best TEs in the league. He was a matchup nightmare at 28, 6'7", 265, 4.56 and good hands. An offensive minded coach gives up a dangerous offensive weapon for a draft pick and a center. Almost a second rounder and a center.

I didn't think that the OL was a strength of Seattle and they give up a key player? The draft is still a crapshoot, so why would Payton dump a proven commodity for an OL and an unknown?

I don't know. Seattle just got scarier. I wish Chip coulda got him. Man, that would be exciting!
Dreagon
Max Unger has been to the pro bowl twice so he's a pretty good center, and when you throw in the draft picks and the improvement this does to the Saint's already dire salary cap situation, it does make sense. The thing that kind of stands out to me is there doesn't some to have been any effort on Brees part to keep him. Brady, Romo, and Manning have all willingly restructured their contracts to make it easier to keep a receiver or other player they wanted to keep around, but there was never any report of Brees either being offered or offering that option.
samaroo
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 30 2015, 09:57 AM) *
Max Unger has been to the pro bowl twice so he's a pretty good center, and when you throw in the draft picks and the improvement this does to the Saint's already dire salary cap situation, it does make sense. The thing that kind of stands out to me is there doesn't some to have been any effort on Brees part to keep him. Brady, Romo, and Manning have all willingly restructured their contracts to make it easier to keep a receiver or other player they wanted to keep around, but there was never any report of Brees either being offered or offering that option.

Yeah, I can't imagine Brees being happy with the move, although a PB center is probably comforting to a QB. Hell, Brees made noise when we got Sproles, it's weird that he sees Graham go silently.
Dreagon
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 29 2015, 08:07 PM) *
Yeah, I can't imagine Brees being happy with the move, although a PB center is probably comforting to a QB. Hell, Brees made noise when we got Sproles, it's weird that he sees Graham go silently.

I can't help but wonder if all that drama regarding him demanding to be classified as a receiver for franchise tagging purposes didn't play into this. He ended up with a big contract, but it does introduce the possibility there may have been some residual hard feelings on management's part over the fracas.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 29 2015, 07:44 PM) *
I don't know. Seattle just got scarier. I wish Chip coulda got him. Man, that would be exciting!

I'm quite happy with our TE's
samaroo
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Apr 2 2015, 10:15 AM) *
I'm quite happy with our TE's

Me too, but Graham is the best there is right now. Gronk can't stay healthy, and Thomas has the Peyton bonus. But, Ertz is probably the best receiving TE per dollar, and Celek is just the man! Maybe my favorite ginger?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.